Why do you play?

• I like Starship Troopers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the miniatures

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scenv

Mongoose
I play because i like starship troopers, the book, and the FIRST movie.

like starship troopers- 10
like the miniatures- 1

just a thought...

Lieutenant Rasczak said:

Now I adore the miniatures too, I must say!

cool, to me the miniatures are...poor quality, from what i have seen so far. compared to privateer press, GW, Reaper, Artizan. i just like how mongoose actually made a game based on a great book.

They are quirky though, I like quirky.

You have have the best sculpted and produced miniatures in the world, but if they lack character they can end up being so very sterile - they just aren't 'fun' if you kwim.

Scotty59 said:
Both, actually. I saw the miniatures on The Miniatures Page, and I especially liked the Warrior Bugs.

thats great for you! id wish i could tolerate the models more so i enjoy more of the game... but seriously i cant stand with the poor quality, with the melted metal parts from my pathefinders, and the faces on the MI which i have to cover up with the painted visors.

Scenv said:
Scotty59 said:
Both, actually. I saw the miniatures on The Miniatures Page, and I especially liked the Warrior Bugs.

thats great for you! id wish i could tolerate the models more so i enjoy more of the game... but seriously i cant stand with the poor quality, with the melted metal parts from my pathefinders, and the faces on the MI which i have to cover up with the painted visors.

Whats wrong with the faces on the MI, or is it because they aren't severly exaggerated like a lot of EE ones?

Lieutenant Rasczak said:

You have have the best sculpted and produced miniatures in the world, but if they lack character they can end up being so very sterile - they just aren't 'fun' if you kwim.

yeah i agree, but dont you wish somtimes the models would look better? it will give so much more to the game and mongoose.

the faces looks awkward. im sure you have seen better faces on miniatures, and thats my point. they could be much better.

Scenv said:
Lieutenant Rasczak said:

yeah i agree, but dont you wish somtimes the models would look better? it will give so much more to the game and mongoose.

the faces looks awkward. im sure you have seen better faces on miniatures, and thats my point. they could be much better.

Better in what way?

I know the trend these days is to exaggerate the weapons and hands etc, i personally prefer them to be a little more realistically scaled.

Clarify? I need more information about what you mean specifically.

Personally I think mongose are doing god for a copmany that only recently started doing miniatures. PP and GW have brought out gammy stuff in the past too. Some of the rogue trader models were a bit cack, though I liked some. Same goes for those PP Khador Winter guard (their arms are ... best not discussed) as well as some of their early warcasters. And bonejacks just look dopey. Not taking a shot at them though, I like noth.

But EE deos over exaggerate. In the grim darkness of the far future, their are only in bread Uglies. The arms are ridiculously exaggerated, the Cadians look somewaht like neandethals.

As for the MI faces, If you dont like them, thats fine. I assume you are talking about plastic ones. How do you find the metals ones (veterans and female troopers).?

I like their faces, I mean, if you look at most US soldiers, from about twenty fet away they look the same because of the whole shaved head thing and helmets, unless their are major differences in skin colour.

They are not too detaild, and in my humble opinion, have character. The Cadian sergeant head, imo, is not so hot, copmared to the plastic cap dudes, nor are some of the space marines bear heads, with all those manky cybernetics.

It was only natural for me: I love the novel.

I discovered it in c. 1971 when my parents and I were driving up to Scotland. We stopped at a small hotel, and it had a book rack in the lobby. Starship Troopers caught my eye, and I used all my money to buy the paperback. I couldn't put it down for the rest of the trip, and I was hooked from that point. All those years later, I can still see the cover.

I think, somehow, the book figured into my career decision. I never made a jump that I didn't think about the MI...particularly when doing HALO jumps. More than a few times in free fall I thought about Rico "stretching and getting the kinks out" as he fell towards the Skinnie planet.

Jumping over Arizona, you can see the lights of LA at altitude. I always thought that would make a great part of a movie: the Roughnecks descending into the lights of a city.

I guess you could say that the book resonates with me. That's why I was so disappointed with the movie.

Still, MGP have done a stellar job of integrating the book, the movie, and the CGI series.

There was really no choice for me: a mini game for SST? I chomped on it like a Bass hitting a spinnerbait! :lol:

For me, I love the film and the setting in general. The minis are great, I've since got into the series, the RPG, and the computer game. I just love all things SST :D

Just gotta get my hands on a copy of the book :x

Reborn said:
For me, I love the film and the setting in general. The minis are great, I've since got into the series, the RPG, and the computer game. I just love all things SST :D

Just gotta get my hands on a copy of the book :x

I have a 'dodgey' Film cover version that I read normally - as I don't mind if it gets ruined Lol.

My first copy of SST was given to me by my Uncle Joe (sadly he is no longer with us) when I was 9 (in 1971 - OMG I'm old).

It went missing when I moved out of my folks, and recently I managed to get the EXACT same edition off Ebay for a song -

d8_1_b.JPG

So keep looking and you shall find! I wouldn't use Amazon as they get REALLY expensive sometimes.

The Cheapest on Amazon seems to be around £6+ mark, I just found this one on Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Starship-Troo...ryZ64252QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
For £4.99

well yes they are realistically scaled, and i like that part too, but when i got the MI box, the faces did not look good at all.

they all look the same for one, no different features at all. GW for instance at least have a few different features for each model. from the faces on the cadians to the helmets on the space marine.

there are only 2 different head sculps out of 8 models in the MI box, and that is pretty sad.

ScipioAmericanus said:
THAT'S IT!!!!! THAT'S THE COVER OF THE BOOK I GOT IN SCOTLAND!!!!!

Bless you, LT!!!

Thanks so much for posting that!

Superb! It was my prized possession (I loved my Uncle Joe), its not the same as having the original - but close.

Scenv said:
well yes they are realistically scaled, and i like that part too, but when i got the MI box, the faces did not look good at all.

they all look the same for one, no different features at all. GW for instance at least have a few different features for each model. from the faces on the cadians to the helmets on the space marine.

there are only 2 different head sculps out of 8 models in the MI box, and that is pretty sad.

I REALLY don't see that as an issue, either you add character (by the way you do eyes) or skin tone - when you paint them if you kwim.

I think people are WAY to reliant on the models rather than their skills as a painter/modeller.

Back