WHOA, the Original Barbarian Warrior........

Spectator

Mongoose
Is getting a movie and a video game
see:
http://www.beowulfmovie.com/

I wondered why this great and epic tale has never materialized until now (Ok the 13th warrior was a great retelling of Beowulf.)?

Hmmm, after checking it out more, its some kinda animated thing?!?
Damn I love live action much more.
Well I guess an animated angelina jolie is still pretty hot, right?
I was always a big fan of Jessica Rabbit 20 years ago.

Beowulf sure is the guy--swims the English Channel and fights sea monsters simultaneously doncha know. And yeah, 13th Warrior is great Conan type material.

I'm kinda looking forward to that movie...

But it has been done before(And not just 13th warrior). Check out "Beowulf & Grendel" starring Gerard Butler... It's very very good and very true to the story but without all the mystical elements... And only a year or so old.

You can get it at Wal-Mart.

http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/

Thanks, for letting me know about the movie. It must have never even played here in stupid , little tallaahassee.

I might have mentioned this before on this forum, but I'm not only not looking forward to this but dreading it. :( I'm very much afraid that Zemeckis has butchered by favorite piece of literature. Grendel was a hideous monster and his mother was even worse---NOT Angelina Jolie!!! :evil:

Amy Winehouse as Grendel's mother: now that's good casting! :lol:

Yag, yeah it is kind of a bummer seeing what you believe in torn asunder, but aren't you happy more people are exposed to what you find fascinating?

For example as a 9 year old kid in 1982, I had no clue who REH or Conan was until Ahhnold and his fur speedo came onto the big screen. I'd think that movie made this game, the literature, etc... our passion possible or else it wouldhave languished in 'used book' stores and old comic shops, right?

Spectator said:
Thanks, for letting me know about the movie. It must have never even played here in stupid , little tallaahassee.

It never played anywhere. It was a straight to video release sponsored by the government of Iceland.

It has decent cinematography, and a witty script, but the audio production is terrible, the sfx are non-existant, an Grendal is well and truly awful.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "very very good" or "very true to the story" but it only cost $9, so what the hell . . .

well I got the beowulf and grendal film off of netflix
it was pretty good
it was refreshing to see the modern take on it and NO Beowulf is not Grendal's daddy . Pretty good story, great film location in Iceland, damned good cinamaphotgraphy, and overall pretty true to the storyline.

Stellan Skargard played in it (he also played King Theoden of Rohan, in the LOTR trilogy). He's got the 'viking king' actor niche down very well.

Gerald Butler ( I have not watched 300 yet) was pretty good as well.

Spectator said:
Stellan Skargard played in it (he also played King Theoden of Rohan, in the LOTR trilogy). He's got the 'viking king' actor niche down very well.

Bernard Hill from Boys from the Blackstuff was Theoden in the Lord of the Rings movies. He's a fair bit older than Stellan Skarsgaard, and a fair bit more British than him too.

Spongly said:
Spectator said:

Bernard Hill from Boys from the Blackstuff was Theoden in the Lord of the Rings movies. He's a fair bit older than Stellan Skarsgaard, and a fair bit more British than him too.

WHoops you are absolutely correct, I meant Skarsgaard played as the Saxon King in the movie "King Arthur"

Back