Which Army Wins the Most in Your Group?

What Army Wins the Most in Your Gaming Group?

• Straight MI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PathFinders

• Arachnids

• Skinnies

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

privateer

Mongoose
We've been playing SST for several months now and I'm noticing a trend on wins. MI seems to win even when they're played by extremely inexperienced players while the bugs have a hard time doing much of anything even with tunneling and using specialty bugs like brain, tankers and hoppers.

Out of 7 or 8 games (we don't get to play that often), the bugs have won once---and then only by a small margin. The rest of the time the MI have won and usually by a hefty lead. I find this odd since AC even hints that players were complaining that the bugs were badgering the MI during the playtests and have also read a number of folks talking about bug victories.

This is NOT a complaint thread. Just wanting to see what's going on in other areas of operation :)

I vote 'None of the Above' since in the few games I've played, it seems to go either way pretty easily and we have about a 50/50 win/loss ratio.

i think Grah will agree every game we played has so far been a 50/50 split who wins bugs or mi, the win often goese to the best tacticle plan aswell rather than just good dice..

lovly balanced game.

I voted for "straight MI" mainly becase where I play, there aren't as many bug players. Of course, I could be mistaken, cuz I havent made it into my FLGS on a game day in a while. Of course, It was a bug player who won the Mongoose Tournament hosted by PlayWithBob :wink: :wink: :lol:

Truly though, the MI player wins more often, but not from "unfairness" of rules. Just player stupidity on my part. But the games are usually relatively close, whoever wins.

Brett Hartt

In our battles its always the arachnids (my army) that wins. Such that people at the store are thinking that the game is broken. We only have two players, me and another guy, but hopefully more people will get into it before that rumor spreads too far.

I think its because of the tanker and plasma bugs mostly, they can hand out a lot of hurt and take a lot of damage.

I voted arachnids as the players I have seem to fear them most. Both MI and Arachinds rack up a lot of victories. I have not painted my Pathfinders yet but should be done by next week or so I hope.

At our store, it is generally Bugs that win. I would say from 60-75 percent of the time. The only thing I have really noticed is that Arachnid armies are a bit more forgiving if you make a mistake.

Misjudge a distance with a MI Squad and they get shredded. If that includes your squad weapons, you are basically done fighting if they have a tanker and may as well just call the game. Brain bug rupture your commanders? Same thing.

Arachnids may lose 5 Warriors in mere moments, but the point cost trade-off is more easily dealt with. And for whatever reason, it seems that my dice are cursed when targeting tunnel markers with the Javelin, it might hit 5% of the time.

However, I still prefer MI simply because I like the looks of them and the storyline. Plus, who would want to be a bug when you can be a Cap Trooper? :wink:

LaranosTZ said:
I vote 'None of the Above' since in the few games I've played, it seems to go either way pretty easily and we have about a 50/50 win/loss ratio.

Ditto. I didn't vote either because after about a dozen games, it's split about 50/50 between MI and bugs. That's a good thing.

This is just a quick related question... which I suppose won't really be seen but who cares:

Out of those who have a 50/50 split of victories, how many games did it take before this became apparant?

It's interesting to see (I know, small sample size but larger than just our group) that bugs are being seen as 50% or greater in the victory department.

Makes me wonder if we're playing something or several things wrong for one or both armies?

MaxSteiner said:
This is just a quick related question... which I suppose won't really be seen but who cares:

Out of those who have a 50/50 split of victories, how many games did it take before this became apparant?

probably about 5-10 games

first few games where MI winning every time when it was just against warrior bugs, but as new units get introduced the bugs got better and kept wining once we realised how the bugs set up traps for the mi ti trigger in reactions. after that the mi introduced the chas and big suits and the ballance adjusted itself, basicly if the bugs have some big stuff and the mi have some big stuff, its 50/50 but the biggest winner is exsperiance and knowing how to use your army, and some little tricks.

privateer said:
It's interesting to see (I know, small sample size but larger than just our group) that bugs are being seen as 50% or greater in the victory department.

Makes me wonder if we're playing something or several things wrong for one or both armies?

Post a few of the armys and we can see if the bug armys suck and the MI might just be wining by a land slide by unit pics.

I have to provide all the MI and Bug forces for our games. The MI are available are:

1 LT
1 PLT SGT
4 Squads of 7 each, each squad with a special weapon.
- 1st Sqd: Msl Launcher
- 2nd Sqd: Msl Launcher
- 3rd Sqd: Triple Thud
- 4th Sqd: Sniper

*Slingshot loaded out as the gunship option in later games has been making an appearance, too.

Sniper and Msl Launchers tend to be the specials taken most.

Bugs have:

36 Warriors (usu. 4 units of 9 each) - usually half or more with tunneling assets
4 Hoppers
1 Brain Bug
1 Tanker
1 Plasma (has not yet been used yet)

Notes: MI Missile Launchers and Moritas rules the battlefield. Their air assets (in the last couple of games) have also been Bug nightmare but even before it came along the rifles and launchers have been kicking bug bootay.

I didn't vote as I haven't really recorded results but thinking back I reckon it would be roughly 50/50....maybe a little heavy on the Arachnid side but certainly not overly so.

privateer,

How many Bug Holes do you take and where abouts on the board do you usually position them on deployment ? Do you keep atleast one in reserve so you can exit at anytime ? Also, how much terrain do you use ?

awesomeshotdude said:
...How many Bug Holes do you take and where abouts on the board do you usually position them on deployment ? Do you keep atleast one in reserve so you can exit at anytime ? Also, how much terrain do you use ?

Typically 2-3 standard tunnel entry points are used by whoever's on bugs.

Our terrain (which I am also the sole supplier of) consists of a couple or three stackable hills (3-4 inches total height); half dozen stands of model railroad trees in 30mm scale (they look right for the minis, in other words); and the occasional wrecked building ruins and rubble (ala 40k). Say 20-40% coverage of the table.

i havent played many games at all, and with only 500 point forces using the basic starter minis, and everytime its been very close - it starts favoring one player, and then it evens out, the last rounds really coming down to luck with reaction fire rolls.
But I certainly agree that the Arachnids are a far more forgiving force than the MI, make a mistake with the bugs and you lose a little time, make a mistake with your MI and it could be costly.

very rarely play, but it does seem that tunneling results in alot of dead MI, but a horde rushing straight forwards results in alot of dead bugs, so i'm not sure

Personally, I am of the opinion that the humans suffer a poor commander worse than the bugs.

When the bugs lose troops the army feels like its suffering a general attrition (sometimes slow, sometimes fast). The human loses feel like a series of unit collapses. That may because there are generally fewer humans on the board.

It appears easier to commit tactical screw-ups with humans.

Bugs...well...charge...fight...eat...do it all over again...

Back