Which 3 Traveller versions do you like, or want to play?

Pick three Traveller versions you like, or are willing to play?

• Other

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Classic Traveller

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • MegaTraveller

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Traveller: The New Era

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • GURPS Traveller

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Hero Traveller

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Traveller 20

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Traveller 4

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Traveller 5

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Mongoose Traveller

Votes: 86 90.5%

• Total voters
The only ones on this poll would be mongoose traveller and TNE, the others i have either never played, or do not want to play again for various reasons.

Other all the way. I like playing out where the buses don't run

GURPS: Interstellar Wars, which is not the same as GURPS: Traveller. A still recognizably Terran campaign.

TNE: Because I like Fire, Fusion and Steel too, too, much. Oh and playing the game was fun too. And IMTU as in the OTU, Virus happened. Deal.
(And I now have laser painted a target on myself, *sigh*) :roll:

1248 - I like being at the edge of the history of the OTU where the future is unknown 8) and the My Little Ponies of the Universe :twisted: have shown their true colors by annihilating all meat eaters on sight.

You forgot to include a Yes, all of them vote. :)

CT is the main stay but I use a bit out of all of them.

Dave Chase

CT. MgT. RQ->SCIFI (D100, SRD).

The latter is really great to resolve some of the skills advancement issues that result from d66 compression. My compliments to its author, soltakss. :D

Classic Traveller, Mongoose Traveller, and I'd probably play a houseruled sort of Savage Worlds type version as well.

I own and am interested in playing T5. Yes, I know that puts me in a tiny minority here.
I will play Classic Traveller at the drop of a body pistol. Been playing it since 1979, don't see me stopping.
I will also be willing to play Mongoose Traveller. I own it, just never played it. I keep defaulting to Classic Traveller, mainly because I know it so well.

Honorable Mention goes to a homebrewed Savage Worlds Traveller system I worked on awhile ago.

For me, MGT (because it's the version that's actively in print, has a large amount of material available, and is easy to play), MegaTraveller (because it's the version I have the most experience with and I have all of the huge amount of material published for it), and RuneQuest Sci-Fi Document (v0.60) by Mongoose's own Matthew Sprange because it fulfills my decades-long dream of seamlessly combining the D100 rules engine of RuneQuest with the material of Traveller.

If I had to pick only one rules set to run as a player/GM, I'd go with MongTrav. I can easily convert any MT/CT material I've collected over the last 35 years to it. That may make me old but DA-yamn it's good to have gotten in on the beginning of the RPG industry and had the opportunity to collect all the really cool stuff as it was first published. Bookshelves and bookshelves of Traveller material...YES!

Could we say for the purposes of this survey that "GURPS Traveller" also includes "GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars" and "TNE" also includes "1248"? (since those pairs are pretty closely related)

Wil Mireu said:
Could we say for the purposes of this survey that "GURPS Traveller" also includes "GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars" and "TNE" also includes "1248"? (since those pairs are pretty closely related)

Yes. I put "Other" there because I knew I was going to forget some editions out there.

crazy_cat said:
I'd probably play a houseruled sort of Savage Worlds type version as well.

Likewise (re-skin the trappings of much of Pirates of the Spanish Main to Pirates of the Spinward Main and away you go)

Original CT player/GM here; now days the games seem to be split 50/50 between mong and CT, with mong just cresting CT, but mong is an updated version of CT so it is little wonder there. I have a tendency to be a bit gonzo in my games and include stuff from strontium dog, 2300ad, hammer's slammers or even outside, such as eclipse phase, metamorphosis alpha and mutant future; but a final word from LBB3 has always been the way I run my games.

I voted for Mongoose Traveller (for it's diversity and adaptability), Classic ('cos it's the Classic) and Traveller 5. The last is a bit of a fudge as I am still waiting for it in the post, but I'm quite excited by the notion of having a Big Black Book as much as anything else - so shoot me...

I didn't vote for GURPS Traveller although I do recognise it as being a playable version. However, like T20 or HERO Traveller I don't feel like it's a fully authentic Traveller experience for me. It's basically playing GURPS (or D20 or HERO) with an adapted version of the Imperium setting. You don't get to experience the unique character generation or other aspects of Traveller that I like. I also can't stand the use of Imperial measurements......

TrippyHippy said:
I didn't vote for GURPS Traveller although I do recognise it as being a playable version. However, like T20 or HERO Traveller I don't feel like it's a fully authentic Traveller experience for me. It's basically playing GURPS (or D20 or HERO) with an adapted version of the Imperium setting. You don't get to experience the unique character generation or other aspects of Traveller that I like. I also can't stand the use of Imperial measurements......

I agree 100% with your opinion on GURPS Traveller. It has some of the best books ever published for Traveller, but it's too "not Traveller" for my tastes. (It probably also helps that I don't like detailed point-buy systems very much.)

T20 seems like a very credible attempt at Traveller for d20 fans, but I admit that I've had trouble even figuring out how to make a character for that system. Still, it has some really fantastic ideas (the "stamina & lifeblood" based damage system, the use of feats to specialize skills, etc.) that make me think it would be a great system to actually play, if you could figure out how to generate reasonable characters. ;)

Still, MgT and CT rule the roost for me. My heart belongs to CT, but I have to admit that in practice, MgT plays better with the group I have.

hdan said:
T20 seems like a very credible attempt at Traveller for d20 fans, but I admit that I've had trouble even figuring out how to make a character for that system. Still, it has some really fantastic ideas (the "stamina & lifeblood" based damage system, the use of feats to specialize skills, etc.) that make me think it would be a great system to actually play, if you could figure out how to generate reasonable characters. ;).

Hmm, never had a problem on that front, used it to get many characters - I used T20 for a few years because it was readily available (before things went ever so slightly toes up) - and all my players were familiar with the system from a DnD background. The reprinted classic stuff was available patchily at best and worse because I was UK based....Mongoose Traveller appeared about the time that supply of classic got better near me, so I went with Mongoose since it appeared to be Classic revamped a little.....my third vote went to GURPS because of the assorted stuff I use from it....while I never got into using it as a core game I found the supplementary material GURPS Traveller produced to be really really useful (Deckplans particularly).

Myrm said:
hdan said:
T20 seems like a very credible attempt at Traveller for d20 fans, but I admit that I've had trouble even figuring out how to make a character for that system. Still, it has some really fantastic ideas (the "stamina & lifeblood" based damage system, the use of feats to specialize skills, etc.) that make me think it would be a great system to actually play, if you could figure out how to generate reasonable characters. ;).

Hmm, never had a problem on that front, used it to get many characters - I used T20 for a few years because it was readily available (before things went ever so slightly toes up) - and all my players were familiar with the system from a DnD background. The reprinted classic stuff was available patchily at best and worse because I was UK based....Mongoose Traveller appeared about the time that supply of classic got better near me, so I went with Mongoose since it appeared to be Classic revamped a little.....

You are probably a more experienced 3e/d20 player than I am. Most of my exposure to d20 is through Pathfinder+Hero Lab (which makes it pretty easy to sort through available build options). I did eventually wrap my head around T20's difference in Class and Previous Experience (for those who haven't seen the rules, there are, for example, two "Merchant" sections - one to use when generating background, and a different one to use if you are adventuring as a Merchant).

I should probably take another shot at making a T20 character. Maybe I'll roll 8+ this time. ;)

Back