Where´s Hyboria´s Bestiary?

Raven Blackwell said:
The King said:
I believe all these authors writing of giant species were quite true. The main question is how did they become extinct?

Simple- they encountered Conan. 8)
:lol:
That's why HPL had to invent his mythos to avoid total eradication of inhuman species.

Climate and terrain. is the main factor in the extinction of the "dire" animals.
The Dire Elk died out due to the growth of forests after the Ice Age, as their 20ft antler spread prevented movement through the wood.
The mammoth/Mastadons fade away as the climate grew Arid.
Sabertooth are unique in that they have gone extinct at the end of each Iceage and reappearing during the next iceage, for a total of 5 times. They went extinct as the arid climate made ambush hunting very difficult.

I just wish I could find a good encyclopedia of post jurassic/Ice age species.

Netherek said:
Sabertooth are unique in that they have gone extinct at the end of each Iceage and reappearing during the next iceage, for a total of 5 times.
I'm assuming you mean they have gone near extinct five times?

Odovacar's Ghost said:
We need a Bestiary as much as we need an Equipment guide. Both are useless in this game. Everything is provided for in the main book.
While I wouldn't say useless, I can agree with you that there are other things that would be more useful. They'd end up pretty low on my to-buy list as well (although I would probably get them in the end, being the fanboy that I am :wink: ).

Trodax said:
Netherek said:
Sabertooth are unique in that they have gone extinct at the end of each Iceage and reappearing during the next iceage, for a total of 5 times.
I'm assuming you mean they have gone near extinct five times?

Perhaps they have gone extinct each time, but in the intervening time other tigers have developed larger, effectively recreating the Sabertooths?

Sabertooths cats are not true felines. They are neofelides belonging to the tribe smilodontni. Which started with megatereon about three million years ago and ended with smilodon fatalis and smilodon populator with is ever larger than S.fatalis. Also during the last ice age there was a third sabertooth cat called homotherium in north america. The linage of the neofelids started about 30 million years ago until 9000 years ago. They say the most likely cause of their extintion was man,decline of large prey and rapid climate change.

Strom said:
... It could include conversion tables for converting D & D monsters. ...
Mmm... What are the niceties of converting D&D monsters? Or, put another way, what problems would you have if you took creatures out of the Monster Manual, the Fiend Folio, the S&S Creature Collection, etc., etc. and plonked them as is in your Hyborian campaign?

Gr.,
Ant

Ant said:
Strom said:
Mmm... What are the niceties of converting D&D monsters? Or, put another way, what problems would you have if you took creatures out of the Monster Manual, the Fiend Folio, the S&S Creature Collection, etc., etc. and plonked them as is in your Hyborian campaign?

Gr.,
Ant

While you are at all those conversions, why don't we add orcs and beholders! Bah!

Besides aligators and crocodiles, the picts are quite fearsome.

Ant said:
Strom said:

Gr.,
Ant

Not every creature would fit in a Hyborian adventure but some of them might and part of the appeal of D20 is utilizing different supplements for different adventures and there is no reason an authentic Hyborian adventure could not benefit from some of the wonderful creations already stated out in some of the D20 monster manuals. This would be a choice available to the GM of course. Looking at the Shadizar boxed set and some of the unique creatures listed like the Pili, who are not a far cry from the Sahuagin and the Jatte are very similar to the Hill Giant.

Having all these great creatures - big and small - would be great in one hardcover book. It is a staple for any RPG worth it's weight in adventure! 8)

Strom said:
Having all these great creatures - big and small - would be great in one hardcover book. It is a staple for any RPG worth it's weight in adventure! 8)
I still don't see the attraction of a bestiary if it's only a compilation of the creature stats and descriptions from the other books. But...

Has anyone seen Green Ronin's Creatures of Freeport by Graeme Davis* and Keith Baker?

This extends the usual "Monster Manual" format: "Each entry also includes Knowledge (what a character knows about a creature from Knowledge skills, Bardic Lore and other sources of information), Uses (details on parts that can be harvested and used by alchemists, spellcasters and others), and Adventure Hooks, many of which come with fully statted NPCs to make the GMs job even easier."

A similar format is, I think, used in the WFRP** Old World Bestiary by T.S. Luikart and Ian Sturrock. (Mmm... Ian's name seems familiar for some reason.) That has: "Monster entries with three points of view: the Common View, the Scholar's View, and Our Own Words."

This kind of format - for creatures other than simple animals - would make a Conan RPG bestiary - Hyboria's Fiends? - much more valuable...

Oh, another thing it should include are clear references to the Conan stories that the creatures appeared in - not just quotations!

Ciao,
Ant

* Btw, Graeme was one of the people who introduced me to AD&D while we were at university together in the early eighties. He has a lot to answer for.
** Graeme was a major contributor to the first edition of WFRP.
*** I'm suprised Graeme hasn't written anything for the Conan RPG. I'd recommend him very stongly for sourcebooks on Cimmeria, Asgard/Vanaheim, and Stygia.

Once again there aren't so many animals and monsters in Conan and most of them were already introduced.
If you prefer human foes, tt would be more appropriate to rename the thread, something like "friends & foes" or "Hyborian Adversaries".

The King said:
Once again there aren't so many animals and monsters in Conan and most of them were already introduced. ...
Not so many, eh?

Strom said:
Animals: 70
Monsters: 29
Demons: 19
Plants: 3
Templates: 4
Total = 125 Beasts
[source]
125 sounds like "many" to me... and more to come, I'm sure.

But I agree, they have already been introduced... which is exactly why I like the idea of Freeport/WFRP-style expansions of the creature entries.

Oh, and even some "simple" animals might be covered in this style, esp. under Uses; for example, elephants for their ivory. (I'm sorry: that doesn't fit well with modern conservationist sensibilities, but I'm sure there was a trade in ivory in Hyboria.)

Cordialement,
Ant

Ant said:
Strom said:
I still don't see the attraction of a bestiary if it's only a compilation of the creature stats and descriptions from the other books. But...

Has anyone seen Green Ronin's Creatures of Freeport by Graeme Davis* and Keith Baker?

This extends the usual "Monster Manual" format: "Each entry also includes Knowledge (what a character knows about a creature from Knowledge skills, Bardic Lore and other sources of information), Uses (details on parts that can be harvested and used by alchemists, spellcasters and others), and Adventure Hooks, many of which come with fully statted NPCs to make the GMs job even easier."

A similar format is, I think, used in the WFRP** Old World Bestiary by T.S. Luikart and Ian Sturrock. (Mmm... Ian's name seems familiar for some reason.) That has: "Monster entries with three points of view: the Common View, the Scholar's View, and Our Own Words."

This kind of format - for creatures other than simple animals - would make a Conan RPG bestiary - Hyboria's Fiends? - much more valuable...

Oh, another thing it should include are clear references to the Conan stories that the creatures appeared in - not just quotations!

Ciao,
Ant

* Btw, Graeme was one of the people who introduced me to AD&D while we were at university together in the early eighties. He has a lot to answer for.
** Graeme was a major contributor to the first edition of WFRP.
*** I'm suprised Graeme hasn't written anything for the Conan RPG. I'd recommend him very stongly for sourcebooks on Cimmeria, Asgard/Vanaheim, and Stygia.

Exactly! That's the point I was making a few posts ago - they need to be creative with the info and create a Hyborian style Bestiary a la WFRP. My other point (and I have been gaming for 20+ years) what other RPG of the quality of the Conan RPG does not have a Monster manual/bestiary? Even the new Iron Heroes game is coming out with a Bestiary. I just think a bestiary/monster manual is necessary for a RPG, even a low magic setting like Conan or Iron Heroes. It's a tome the GM can grab in a hurry for unexpected events and/or when creating a adventure. We have the Core book (GM Manual) and the Players Books (Fiercest, Finest, and Fallen) but we are missing the Monster manual...why mess with a formula that works? Three core books. 8)

Strom said:
... We have the Core book (GM Manual) and the Players Books (Fiercest, Finest, and Fallen) but we are missing the Monster manual...why mess with a formula that works? Three core books. 8)
You can't count! :)

Cordialement,
Ant

Ant said:
Strom said:
... We have the Core book (GM Manual) and the Players Books (Fiercest, Finest, and Fallen) but we are missing the Monster manual...why mess with a formula that works? Three core books. 8)
You can't count! :)

Cordialement,
Ant

:lol: - technically you are right, but the gist of my comment harkens to days of old before companies realized the financial benefits of multiple supplements expanding on the 3 core books concept. The Conan RPG has BOOKS that cover the GM and Players concepts but no Monster manual - Bestiary if you like - and if done creatively I for one would like to see it.

Strom said:
... the gist of my comment harkens to days of old before companies realized the financial benefits of multiple supplements expanding on the 3 core books concept....
I guess Mongoose could have had a bestiary much earlier, but chose to put a (slim) bestiary in the core rulebook... and material that could have been the basis of a "players' handbook". You have everything you need to play in just one volume.

A slim bestiary was probably enough... and with the standard entry format would have been pretty meagre. To The King's point, the Conan stories - REH's at least - were seldom "monster driven"*, so the D&D type menageries aren't really appropriate to the Conan RPG. And that's really the position I was taking earlier.

Until my epiphany. :D

Gr.,
Ant

* Which begs the question, which stories provided which creatures? That information should be explicit.

Ant said:
Strom said:
... the gist of my comment harkens to days of old before companies realized the financial benefits of multiple supplements expanding on the 3 core books concept....
I guess Mongoose could have had a bestiary much earlier, but chose to put a (slim) bestiary in the core rulebook... and material that could have been the basis of a "players' handbook". You have everything you need to play in just one volume.

A slim bestiary was probably enough... and with the standard entry format would have been pretty meagre. To The King's point, the Conan stories - REH's at least - were seldom "monster driven"*, so the D&D type menageries aren't really appropriate to the Conan RPG. And that's really the position I was taking earlier.

Until my epiphany. :D

Gr.,
Ant

* Which begs the question, which stories provided which creatures? That information should be explicit.

Man, your acting like I'm asking for your money or something. I just feel a Bestiary would be cool and useful for a GM. You feel it wouldn't. That's cool. They covered a a lot of the Road of Kings material in the Core book as well but still came out with a expansion on the core material presented. The same could be said for a Bestiary. I would think 2 years into a RPG would be a good time to consolidate material and present it in a unique and intriguing format. But, since the schedule is out maybe next year. I hope they do it. As for the breakdown of creatures checkout my thread "GM Only - Bestiary Reference List". Your D & D reference makes no sense in light of that list. The fact that the Conan RPG has so many available and stated out animals/monsters/demons/templates demonstrates the appropriateness of a bestiary for the game.

I have avoided this topic for awhile because I was not sure how a Bestiary/MM would work for Conan. After futher review, I think it would work just fine. Although most of the entries would be wild animials, giant insects, and "other" corruption creating things.

As a DM, all is welcome. You can use as much or as little as you would like. So, the whole concern about maintaining a Howard like setting is up to you.

I am wondering why Mongoose has not published it. Perhaps it is coming after all the major regions or covered? That would certainly be less work for them. Hopefully not. Looking forward to it whenever it is ready for publication.

HLD

Just a comment, one thing I'd like to see in the Bestiary is some dinosaurs, for instance the one from the story Red Nails, or the one's out of a couple of the Soloman Kane stories, maybe find some in the Picts terrotory or in some forgotten areas in the Black Kingdoms.

Back