What's your favorite Magnamund region?

Either Kalte or the Danarg or the Hellswamp. I always had a weakness for God-forsaken wildernesses with inhospitable environments.

Vassagonia for me. Though the 1s level adventure I'm writing for my group takes plave between Quarlen and Varetta (Castle Tuanor to be exact).

God forsaken wilderness gets my vote too. :)

Kalte would be my favourite setting and it got a lot better with the info in the RPG book fleshing out the background on the ancients a bit. Ikaya would be a great place to go looking for lost magic lore and tech. If the Ice barbarians would kill a character for just being in Kalte I don't want to think what they will do if if they catch you poking around the arcane relics of the shianti.

The hellswamp is pretty cool as well. For nations, well that would have to be the ones surrounded by widerness. Eru was paticularily interesting, swamp, forest, rebels, Drakarim to the north it even had it's own elite wilderness warriors the Pathfinders.

Oh, if we're mentioning our favorite nations, then I'd have to go with Lyris. For some reason, Book Six: Kingdoms of Terror reasonates very strongly for me. Overall ambiance and all that... Ancient tombs, lost artifacts...probably the first nation Indian Jones would visit had he been a Magnamund character!

It has to be Vassagonia, or maybe southern Sommerlund, Rauon, The Maakengorge and so on (Chasm of Doom is my preferred book...)

G.

Mines gotta be Ruel. Perfect evil place for the characters to be driven insane.

Next would be Lencia and the Crusade lands. Tons of stuff to do there. Espionage, seiges, delivering messages, sabatoge.

Next would be the Darklands themselves.

I'm going for the goddy-good answer: Sommerlund.

So much of the recent history of the setting is tied up with the Sommerlending. They're the classic bastion of good against overwhelming darkness. They're on the front line of the Darklands and they still hold strong, that's saying something.

And the fact that the Kai are based there rocks. Mmm, Kai Lords.....

adgramaine said:
Oh, if we're mentioning our favorite nations, then I'd have to go with Lyris. For some reason, Book Six: Kingdoms of Terror reasonates very strongly for me. Overall ambiance and all that... Ancient tombs, lost artifacts...probably the first nation Indian Jones would visit had he been a Magnamund character!

Yeah, that's one of my favorite books as well. It's not hard to envision war torn city states in France and Germany during the late Renaissance (ala "The Last Valley") with such descriptions.

Vassagonia, especially Barrakeesh as described in Book 5 is also one of the best settings as well.

I also really enjoyed Anari (Book 9)...ah heck, let's face it, Joe Dever has a gift for 'flavor text'... :D. All the regions he described are fascinating in and of their own merits.

Karnali :)

Had to say that, but it would be neat to live in Ljuk. The only trace of civilization in Kalte, thousands of miles of wasteland in all directions. Well, not south, that's ocean.

Or maybe somewhere around Ragadorn in the Wildlands. It would still be like living in a frontier town (with much more regular traffic through the area).

Then there's Telchos, with hot warrior women by the thousands.

Actually, now that I think about it, Karnali actually was a pretty nice town from what I remember.

The Shadakine Empire... including all their territories. I know it is a classical evil empire with rebels, but I mean... it's great.

I am tempted to have my players be in the prison cell when Grey Star makes his escape, naturally Grey Star will choose to free the other prisoners but hopefully I want to have the scene as when Grey Star turns with keys in his hands the PC are already out. I am just afraid they decide to following him around with Shan and Tanith. *lol*

Oddly enough my players do not know about Grey Star books, so they might not realise what I am pulling...

Madboilogist, that rings of a classic scene right there, esp. since the players have no concept of anything GS in the world... Let us know if you run with that idea and how it turns out :)

Ixia, Kalte and Ruel.

Ixia became my favourite already in the Magnamund Companion, so desolate so far from civilization... Brrr... Kalte for the same reasons and for one of the best gamebooks ever written. The Darklands are also quite neat of course :)

The Stornlands, as stated before - so much potential for intrigue and noble plotting, assassinations and power plays. Makes for good roleplaying and a welcome break from dungeon-crawl type scenarios.

A close second would bee Kalte. Extreme wilderness, pitting the party against the forces of nature.

Durenor. Maybe because I’m French and I read somewhere, somewhen, that Durenor is modeled after this country (the name at least sounds French). I also like the Knights of the White Mountain (which I can’t explain, since I’m not usually found of paladins). Maybe this is the “underdog” aspect of this country, which is nothing special. Port-Bax definitely is a winner for me (my preferred city name in the setting, although I should give Tahou a nod—but I don’t know how it is supposed to be spelt in English; I always spelt it “ta-oo”, like taboo).

Ikar-tas-Kai said:
Durenor. Maybe because I’m French and I read somewhere, somewhen, that Durenor is modeled after this country (the name at least sounds French). I also like the Knights of the White Mountain (which I can’t explain, since I’m not usually found of paladins). Maybe this is the “underdog” aspect of this country, which is nothing special. Port-Bax definitely is a winner for me (my preferred city name in the setting, although I should give Tahou a nod—but I don’t know how it is supposed to be spelt in English; I always spelt it “ta-oo”, like taboo).

Well then, what you need to do is visit www.towerofthesun.com, an online virtual LW community, and join the growing ranks of the Knights of the White Mountain - of course, the current leader of the Knights of the White Mountain is English, which if Durenor is French I would find kinda funny.

But come along and have some fun, mon ami!

Al

Bon-Al Ironforge said:
Ikar-tas-Kai said:
Well then, what you need to do is visit www.towerofthesun.com, an online virtual LW community, and join the growing ranks of the Knights of the White Mountain - of course, the current leader of the Knights of the White Mountain is English, which if Durenor is French I would find kinda funny.

But come along and have some fun, mon ami!

Al
Well, let us say he is from Guyenne ;-)

Merci Bon-Al !

Back