Whats Mongoose's feedback on out feedback?

SmegmaLord

Mongoose
We're all going on about what we like and don't like, whilst Mongoose sits on the side and listen (or even hide in the corner liked scalded school children if you took some posts very seriously).

I wanna know how they feel about comments on rule, book design, the multi-book conundrum!

Also lets get the rules designers in here to discuss the decisions and the difficulties assosiated with resurrecting RQ!

Come on in guys the waters tepid!

CHRIS

Honestly, what do you expect of those guys?
Yes, there has been (some) criticism but there has also been a reaction by Matt Sprange, namely a Player's Guide being published for free (to be found here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/rqplayersguide.pdf).
That document is going to be updated, at least that's what Mongoose claims and I expect them to do it. But there is no need to tackle each and every problem there might be on an official level immediately. I'm quite sure that the Mongooses watch the RQ forums very intensly and keep track of everything that might be probelamtic and needs an article in the player's guide. And the people here seem to do a fine trouble-shooting job at the forums as well: Every post about a (new) problem is being answered by numerous people with rule interpreations and house rules. RuneQuest once again is a system that's alive: it breathes, it evolves and it will see new releases on a regular basis. What could you want more? That is the best that can happen to a well liked RPG IMO.

Give the Mongoose the benefit of the doubt, that they'll handle things well. They have rocked more often than they sucked at new games! :)

On the note of the splitted corebooks: This has been done before...what was the name of the company that is a major publisher of one of the best known RPGs right now? :) They have splitted their core books into three titles as well and they are more expensive and more complicated. I'd love to have a combined book made up of the companion and the main rules, but Mongoose Publishing made their decision. I don't see them coming forward and saying sorry for it, neither changing it anytime soon, at least not until the first printing run of Main rules and RQ Companion has sold off completely.

I for my part am very happy with the quality (both game system and product quality (like binding)) of the publications by Mongoose and I will want to see more of the line, before I jump the gun.

Just my thoughts, we can always agree to disagree ;-)

Edit: And it is friday night, the guys probably should have a little time off every now and then, to play their own games perhaps?! :D

Bssed on the comments I've seen posted by the "offical Mongooses", they do read our comments and take them into consideration. Even the negative ones (I suspect especially the negative ones-as that is potential sales)

Sometimes this might lead to a clarification or correction, other times not.

It is still pretty early in the life of MRQ for anything more radcial that than anyway. In a few month or a year from now, they might make adjustments based on feedback, but realsitically, it will take time for them to get a generation reaction, time to decide what are the problems that need to be addressed, more time to adress those problems, and still more time to come up with a solution, and even more time to distrubute the solution to us in some way. Oh, and run thier company and work on new products too.

The game has only been out for a few weeks.

Cut said:
On the note of the splitted corebooks: This has been done before...what was the name of the company that is a major publisher of one of the best known RPGs right now? :) They have splitted their core books into three titles as well and they are more expensive and more complicated. I'd love to have a combined book made up of the companion and the main rules, but Mongoose Publishing made their decision. I don't see them coming forward and saying sorry for it, neither changing it anytime soon, at least not until the first printing run of Main rules and RQ Companion has sold off completely.

Plus, the core rulebook doesn't really make sense until you see the longer-term release list. There's talk of all kinds of products being based off this, most notably a Hyborian sourcebook. The reaction of the average RQer in 12 months time will probably be a lot different to the average RQer today.

Heh. Honestly, I think it's better in some cases if they don't respond. He's a good man, bless'm, but on some of the threads, when Matt kept responding to potential problems, it semed like he was just making it worse. ;-)

SteveMND said:
Heh. Honestly, I think it's better in some cases if they don't respond. He's a good man, bless'm, but on some of the threads, when Matt kept responding to potential problems, it semed like he was just making it worse. ;-)

I think that is partly becuase Mongoose has a direction for the game that doesn't match up with what us old time RQers expect or even want. A lot of the rule changes seemed to be geared to entice the D&D player. Personally, I'd just as soon the D&Ders play D&D and leave RQ to the RQ players. THat is better gaming for me, but not better business for Mongoose.

iamtim said:
atgxtg said:
I'd just as soon the D&Ders play D&D and leave RQ to the RQ players.

Inside every D&Der there is an RQer trying to get out.

:)

RuneQuest V, staring Sigorney Weaver.

"Ripley, hurry! They are rolling up SIZ and POW and asking about iron weapons!"

Actually I think it's just gas.

atgxtg said:
RuneQuest V, staring Sigorney Weaver.

"Ripley, hurry! They are rolling up SIZ and POW and asking about iron weapons!"

Actually I think it's just gas.

Oh man, I'm at work (I work evenings) and nearly spit lemonade on my screen when I read that.

Well Done Atgxtg!

SmegmaLord said:
We're all going on about what we like and don't like, whilst Mongoose sits on the side and listen (or even hide in the corner liked scalded school children if you took some posts very seriously).

I wanna know how they feel about comments on rule, book design, the multi-book conundrum!

Also lets get the rules designers in here to discuss the decisions and the difficulties assosiated with resurrecting RQ!

Hi there,

Well, want do you want to know?

When the book came out, we were braced for a storm, as we knew there would be at least an element of negativity from the Old Guard, who are very passionate about their RuneQuest. From our perspective, it has turned into more of a windy drizzle. . .

As for the multi-book debate, I have said the same thing a few times - it is what you guys want. This format is what you vote for with your Dollars and Pounds, so that is what we do. . .

msprange said:
As for the multi-book debate, I have said the same thing a few times - it is what you guys want. This format is what you vote for with your Dollars and Pounds, so that is what we do. . .

I understadn totaly. Whatever I personaly think (for example I have very fond memories of the all-in-one soft-bound AH edition of RQ3 they finaly brought out), the fact it if Mongoose had brought out a single book four times the size and three times the price there's a reasonable chance I wouldn't have bought it. The £15 price point makes it an easy impulse purchase, and if it's good material then the rest follows.

Havign said that at some point in the future I'd realy like to see an all-in-one edition. I bought the orriginal Avalon Hill boxed edition split with my brother, we both also bought the Games Workshop three-book hadbacks and the all-in-one softbound so I actualy forked out for RQ3 three times.

However that's just the nature of the industry. Every now and then you see a new edition of any successful game - just look at Call of Cthulhu, or Stormbringer/Elric, or D&D for that matter. The fact is being a fan of an RPG is more like a subscription type relationship than a one-off investment. It's just how the economics, evolution and psychology of the industry work.

Simon Hibbs

the fact it if Mongoose had brought out a single book four times the size and three times the price there's a reasonable chance I wouldn't have bought it.

I'm curious actually -- what if had been twice the size and only 50% more expensive?

SteveMND said:
I'm curious actually -- what if had been twice the size and only 50% more expensive?

I reckon everyone that has currently bought it would still have bought it.

I also reckon it would hurt longer-term sales once the variant campaign worlds come out.

I also reckon it would hurt longer-term sales once the variant campaign worlds come out.

I'm still curious -- whay would you say that? I'm thinking if the Companion had been rolled into the Players book at only a 50% jump in price, the variant rules and such presumably coming up in there would have been just as useful there as with anything.

I'm not trying to be "negative" (being as that's the buzzword of the week) but am genrally curious as to how that would have been such a poor marketing choice.

SteveMND said:

I'm still curious -- whay would you say that? I'm thinking if the Companion had been rolled into the Players book at only a 50% jump in price, the variant rules and such presumably coming up in there would have been just as useful there as with anything.

I'm not trying to be "negative" (being as that's the buzzword of the week) but am genrally curious as to how that would have been such a poor marketing choice.

I think the idea is that either:

1) Players might want to buy a Player's Handbook equvalent, with enough info to get them by, but nothing extranous to the setting.

2) GMs (and others) might get annoyed if they find themselves buyting books that contain the same information. AKA the many printing of Kygor Litor. Heck at one point RQ3 was starting to look like TrollQuest.

Fair enough, but it looks like the Companion will be filled with more setting-neutral rules options, as opposed to anything specific. Stuff like divine magic, sorcery, etc. That still strikes me as material that would have been just as useful in comprehensive volume.

Again, I realize it's all personal opinion and preference here, but I'd be more likely to spend my money on a 220-page comprehensive book for 35 than I would to buy a bare-bones 120-page book for 25.

Heck, to be honest... I'd be loathe to buy any hardcover book with just 120 pages for that price, unless I was truly impressed by the contents. :)

And to clarify for those new people that have just joined the boards this past week or so, I don't have a problem with the 3-book idea used by Mongoose in this decision. It worked for D&D, and in theory it should also work for Mongoose. I'm just not so sure that it would have been the best consumer choice for me personally, given the option, and so I'm curious as to whether I'm the odd man out here nor not.

Not entirely the odd man out. I'd have preferred it all together in one chumk too. I much rather get a big rulebook and drop the stuff I don't want that to buy several books to see the complete picture.

But that might be another "old guard"/"new guard" thing. I like to have all the goodies, options and advanced rules on hand. I've written up something like 70 pistols for one RPG, inclduing over two dozen 9mm self-loaders. A lot of people will probably be happy with just the basics.

As a player in a campaign, I find it helpful to have a copy of the rules. If I was a player in RQ Campaign, I would be happy to buy just the basic rules.

Back