What would the displacement tons of a modern fighter jet be?

I appreciate the responses. I think a rough estimate of 8-9 dtons makes plenty of sense. Someone had a picture of a Boeing 737 next to a scout s type and it made conceptualization much easier. What I find curious, is that traveler does not seem to have a container ship/massive cargo ship analog. Space is even less limited than the open ocean is. Though you would need to stick to high ports for loading/unloading.

I think it depends.

Streamlined hulls, popularity thereof, might indicate that point to point makes sense to some, without bothering with detours.

The analogue would be the positively massive tanker ships. It wouldn’t replace the need entirely for small delivery cargo planes for instance. But economies of scale would allow cities worth of goods to be moved

I appreciate the responses. I think a rough estimate of 8-9 dtons makes plenty of sense. Someone had a picture of a Boeing 737 next to a scout s type and it made conceptualization much easier. What I find curious, is that traveler does not seem to have a container ship/massive cargo ship analog. Space is even less limited than the open ocean is. Though you would need to stick to high ports for loading/unloading.
They don't make for good adventure ships, but the rules are there to create them. On the small end, there's the Leyland Buffalo in my Custom Ships thread, and then there is that massive dreadnought of a freighter in the new High Guard book, the Galika Megula class. Plus rules for stick ships with external cargo mounts

Canon has megatonne freighters transporting goods within the Imperium core.

My impression is that commercial shipbuilding tends to lag the business cycle, as predictions for increased capacity tends to end in economic downturns as the gigantic freighters come online.

So three millenia later, most transport corporations are likely conservative, mostly replacing worn out merchantmen and slowly growing their fleet(s).

Considering that massive ships on earth don’t seem to have that issue, I imagine it would be the same in space. If not even more so. However, I had another thought, how about the Imperium of Man from 40K, what kind of dtons would you expect of something that is two *miles* long?

It's difficult to say, because for smaller vehicles (primarily less than 100 dton spacecraft and (especially) vehicles, dtons are often a bit problematic. For example, my parents minivan will fit in a box (rounding up) 5 m x 2 m x 1.75 m, this box has a volume of 17.5 cubic meters. Even if you go with the idea that you double the volume of smaller vehicles, that's (at absolute maximum) 2.5 dtons, and this huge van I found the stats for on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter) would (and remember I'm doing volume as a box and also doubling the result) be 5 dtons, so rather than being the size of a car, a standard air/raft is the size of an average full sized van. In short, the actual dtons of a jet fighter is almost certainly much smaller than you'd expect.

Back