What paints do you use?

razok4eva

Mongoose
The only paints that i can find are gamesworkshops paints, but those cost 3$ a bottle! And its so tiny, i cant aford that, so i was wondering, what paints you used.

I personally use a mix of artist acrylics paints, GW paints, cheap modelers paint, Tamiya and uh... basically whatever paints I have lying around, and my secret weapon: Johnson's Future Floor Polish (Or as we like to call it in England Klear), which is essentially transparant acrylic.
This basically opens up a wide range of options when painting, it allows you to extend the life of the paints you have, mix up superior washes, varnish what you've painted and well, pretty much everything you could ever want!
Heres an article: http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/magicwash.htm
Do a search for 'Magic wash' for more info though, it really is limitless.

The best paints are probably Privateer Press' P2 Paint, and Vallejo model and coat d' arms (Who used to make GW paint until they decided to make their own colour), but those are bout the same price as GW.
The main thing to consider is that if you treat your paints well, and use them with a little restraint they will last you a very long time (Appart from things like white and black, but you can afford to skimp on those ones :D)

I use Vallejo mostly and then acrylic craft paints with a bit of acrylic flow aid. Depending on the project I'll also use a colored flat spray paint followed with highlighting and detail in acrylic.

I have a few Testors bottles, and those are mostly metallics. The bulk of what I use is called Cel-Vinyl, by Cartoon Colour Company. It's a vinyl acrylic paint that is water-based. They have a great color spread, as it is offered in over 700 colors and tints. For my Arachnid Warriors I used Krylon black spray paint and Testors Zinc Chrome for the color splotches, then finished with two more Testors colors.

For my other Bug units I used special dual-color kits by either Dupli-color or Krylon. They are metallic and have two colors, if viewed from various angles.

Most of my MI units are finished with Cel-Vinyl paint, then sealed with Krylon matte finish.

While the cost of a bottle of Cel-Vinyl can be over $5, they contain 2 oz. of paint which is 8x the content of a bottle of Testors, and lasts for years while the Testors has to be thrown away usually if not used up. I still have bottles of my vinyl-acrylic paint that is well over ten years old and is still good. :shock:

For pure economy and ease or supply, you might try the water-based craft paint (cheap) at hobby/craft stores.

$3!! You get off lucky!
They're £2.00 here! Thats $4.00!
gah! :lol:

I use GW, I have tried Vallejo, but they require too much shaking and mixing for my speed painting. Also tried coat'd'arms, these are great. They are made by the blokes who did the old GW paints, absoloutely wonderful. Don't know if they are available across the pond though.
Privateer press do a nice paint, I have left them a few months before getting any because of some of the earlier complaints about their mixing, they seem fine enough now though! Brilliant paints, really well suggested.
If you do try Vallejo, get the model colour ones, not the game colour ones, they are less thin. :)

GW here got some art inks i'm tempted to try one day forgot bout those. i ain't tried anything else except art paints. getting paid on friday maybe i'll splash out on something

Most of mine are craft paints like Apple Barrel.
Followed by Vallejo.
Then Privateer P3 paints
Finally some GW and Ral Partha.

If I could replace my paints with one set, I'd pick the Vallejo. They aren't cheap though.

I hear that the new GW foundry paints are nice but haven't picked any up yet.

Nezeray

Bulk of my painting is a craft paint, Americana. Very cheap, but also not so good quality. I also augment this with a selection of GW paint.

GW for the most part, but I'm tempted to switch gradually to P3. A friend of mine swears by Cote D'arms, and they're very cheap if you buy from them in bulk.

I use mostly Delta Ceramcoat paints, with a little bit of Folkart tossed in. tired apple barrel twice, nad found them to be rather thin. All of these can be found at Miceals or other craft stores. sometimes at walmart as well. costs me about $2 CDN for 2 oz bottle.

Currently use GW, I'm waiting for PP to bring out there full range then I'll be getting them. I may continue to use GW inks, as I really like Chestnut Ink.

I use GW paints, they aren't the only thing available to me, I just like them is all, plus I'm supporting my local hobby shop too by buying them :)

i bought 3 gw paints for my guys, Shadow gray, enchanted blue, dwarf flesh. i shall post pics of my paint scheem soon. (i wans very inspired bby mallymoocow =D)

Vallejo Game Color for the paints, because they cover well, and mixing is easy when your bottle is shaped like an eye dropper.
I use GW inks though, since at the time of my switching to Vallejo the shop had none of their inks. GW inks are ok, but they need to be diluted like mad! Lots of pigment in those...
And GW chestnut ink rules!
I haven't tried the Vallejo Model Color line, since it has like, 900 some different paints... They look good though, but they aren't made with the more durable, scratch resistant resin formula that the Game Color line is made from.

I do currently have some trouble making my whites look brilliant with getting that build up look from having too many layers of paint. I might just be seeing things, but in all seriousness, my whites look thin and transparent no matter what I do. Any tips?

You could try artists acrylic, 'Titanium white', is the brightest white I've found, You have to keep it quite thick to get a nice coat, or at least way thicker then I'd normally use (almost straight out the tube with just a little klear) but it works pretty damn well for me :D

Back