What Monster Manual / magic creatures were in Conan stories?

Rhianni

Mongoose
At first I thought there wouldnt be very many but there would be a good number of beasts

All the general common animals.

Slaad (non magical). I seem to remember a story where he fought a frog man that crawled out of a pit inside of a temple.

Pachyderm. The alien in the tower in one of the early stories.

Mummy, Dinosaurs Giant Slug, Yeti.

Rhianni said:
At first I thought there wouldnt be very many but there would be a good number of beasts

Slaad (non magical). I seem to remember a story where he fought a frog man that crawled out of a pit inside of a temple.

Pachyderm. The alien in the tower in one of the early stories.

Mummy, Dinosaurs Giant Slug, Yeti.

Giant slug...yes; slaad...no;pachyderm...you've got to be kidding. An elephant headed alien does not a pachyderm make. :wink:

Rhianni said:

An intresting concept. I'll have to go through my copies of MM and MMII, to see what I can use.

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Giant slug...yes; slaad...no;pachyderm...you've got to be kidding. An elephant headed alien does not a pachyderm make. :wink:

Ok yes I was kidding. I HATED the elephant alien. It just seemed so out of place. It mixed in sci fi into a fantasy world. My group has never heard of it and if I have anything to say about it they never will.

Rhianni said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:

Ok yes I was kidding. I HATED the elephant alien. It just seemed so out of place. It mixed in sci fi into a fantasy world. My group has never heard of it and if I have anything to say about it they never will.

Yeah, that one was a bit weird, like he got an idea from his Lovecraft letters, especially weird since it was early in his career so it can warp your perspective of Conan encounters by reading that so early on.

Anonymous said:
Rhianni said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:

Yeah, that one was a bit weird, like he got an idea from his Lovecraft letters, especially weird since it was early in his career so it can warp your perspective of Conan encounters by reading that so early on.

Oddly enough, because it's in the first of the Conan collections, I wasn't that bugged by it. Strange things happening in Hyboria are not, after all, exactly uncommon.

What was the thing that killed his pirate lust interest?

It has been a long time, but iirc- it was some winged demon. D&D has enough of those to fill the spot.

CR

coyraven said:
CR

The creature that killed Belit was the degenerated member of an Elder Race of winged humaniods. After the Great Cataclysm the race slipped back into a state of animal savagery. In time the members turned on one another till the last member was killed by Conan.

Mythos said:
coyraven said:
CR

The creature that killed Belit was the degenerated member of an Elder Race of winged humaniods. After the Great Cataclysm the race slipped back into a state of animal savagery. In time the members turned on one another till the last member was killed by Conan.

'...except two who escaped to Milton Keynes.' This bit of Howard's original quopte always seems to get forgotten. :wink:

Mongoose TC said:
Mythos said:
coyraven said:
CR

'...except two who escaped to Milton Keynes.' This bit of Howard's original quopte always seems to get forgotten. :wink:

Sorry about missing that part. I must have read an edited text.

Mongoose TC said:
Mythos said:
coyraven said:
CR

Huh, Chang's back then...

Anonymous said:
Rhianni said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:

Argh, that was me?! Damned Guest entry system?!

Being an avid Lovecraft fan, I wouldn't be against sprinkling some of his alien horrors into Howards age (GOOs know he did it himself :wink: ). You may want to look through the CoC d20 to see if anything works for your campaign.

If you have read the Kull series, there are quite a few referances to Mythos entites, like the ancient serpent people of Yig and a race of aquatic humanoids. Nothings is to say that some of those bizarre creatures haven't survived into Conan's time.

From the Monster Manuals: Yaun-Ti (sp), Dire Animals, Giant Vermin, and some Undead and possibly Golems seem appropriate to me. I dont know of any referances to such, but basic goblinoids (goblins, ogres, kobolds, etc...) as well as some fey might have thier place in the Hyborian Age.

By the way, that statue-like, elaphantine alien sounds a good deal like a benevolent version of Chaugnar Faugn (sp)...

J.

Back