Weapon Focus (Magic Attack) ?

MadDog

Mongoose
The 3.5 Core rules now allow players to take Weapon Focus with various magical attacks. In Conan would it be appropriate to allow Weapon Focus (Magical Attack) ?

Aso, is there any feat that allows a bonus in a War of Souls ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

I don't know. That would be like allowing Weapon Focus (Base Attack).

I would probably allow Weapon Focus (specific spell name here), though.

MadDog said:
The 3.5 Core rules now allow players to take Weapon Focus with various magical attacks. In Conan would it be appropriate to allow Weapon Focus (Magical Attack) ?
Thats an oversimplification. 3.5 lets a player take Weapon Focus for weaponlike spells ie: spells delivered by a melee touch attack or ranged touch attack (AKA rays). Melee touch attacks are covered by Weapon Focus [Unarmed Strike] so the only "special" weapon focus feat would be Weapon Focus [Ray]

As of now I can't think of any Conan spells that use rays (I don't have all the suplements) so that would be kinda pointless.

But Weapon Focus [Unarmed Strike] could serve a sorcorer quite well.

Hope that helps.

Yes, I have to agree with you guys. Maybe allow something like Weapon Focus (Spell Category) at best ? They already have that for Curses (hexer).

Mad Dog

some sorcery styles have feats that grant a magick attack bonus, like hexer, summoner, i'm not sure if there are others.

there are other feats like improved evil eye that will apply whenever the range of the spell is evil eye, like spells from hypnotism some curses and divinations, and probably others. there's another i don't recall the name from sos also, that grants a bonus to spells with touch range. this one i am not sure if it grants the bonus to cast the spell, or to deliver the touch attack. improved evil aye is cool because it grants the bonus to spells and magic like abilities with that kind of range (quoting from memory), so it benefits a character in a war of souls and using the rule of the sorcere's soul.

there's also magic power attack that grants a plus for every 2 extra pps spent to fuel the spell. this one works with all spells! at the expense of extra pps which can grant you a bonus up to your charisma bonus. it also overrides the hd limitations of hypnotism spells. it's a great feat for a sorcerer. it might even grant pluses to a war of soul checks, since the description of wos says: "a war of souls check is like a magic attack roll."

Yeah, those feats may be different ways to get the same effect as Wpn Focus, but IIRC, Conan was originally based on 3.0, not 3.5. Can someone confirm this?

I couls see useing Weapon Focus (Spell X) where that spell is some form of atack based spell, either Evil Eye or touch. That way it's very specific and not over powering in Conan.

Is't it that way in 3.5? Can't recall off hand...

WPn Focus does say that it can apply to an Unarmed Strike or Grapple. So presumably, any attack type of spell that requires physical contact, but probably not Evil Eye. Thinking of each individual spell as a differnt "weapon" isn't a huge leap, and it's only a +1 to the attack roll and it has to apply to a differnet "weapon" each time. Death Touch at +1 to hit is not really that much scarier than palin'ol Death Touch. (lol)

Sutek said:
WPn Focus does say that it can apply to an Unarmed Strike or Grapple. So presumably, any attack type of spell that requires physical contact, but probably not Evil Eye. Thinking of each individual spell as a differnt "weapon" isn't a huge leap, and it's only a +1 to the attack roll and it has to apply to a differnet "weapon" each time. Death Touch at +1 to hit is not really that much scarier than palin'ol Death Touch. (lol)

exactly, so weapon focus actualy seems a waste of a feat to me, given the other feats available, they are more versatile.

I suppose it depends on whether you really want a +1 to hit or not. (hehe)

:wink:

I could see the benefit at lower levels and if you ahve a free bonus feat slot you want to use up.

yeah, it's just a +1, could make the difference though. that's why i like magic power attack better, could get a more substantial bonus, at higher levels thoug.

Back