Weapon breakage optional rule

Flecha

Mongoose
I'm going to use these rule; I like to add optional rules that provide enhanced realism to the game. Page 150 of the Atlantean Edition. Ok, so it says to be used when the attack roll exactly equals the opponent's Parry. Does the opponent then parry the attack at the cost of a broken weapon, do you hit the opponent anyway?

As far as I understand it, if the Attack Roll eaquals the Parry Value of the defender, proceed as if the attacker had tried to make a Sunder Attack aginst the defenders weapon, without the chance for an AoO.

Thus the defender would not be harmed through this attack, but could possibly be left without a weapon to continue the fight.

In my campaign I allow that shields can be sundered as well as weapons with the optional weapon breakage rule. So, if a character (or NPC) has both a shield and weapon in hand, the effected person is able to choose between his shield or weapon being possibly sundered.

We played tonight as a matter of fact, and one of the players destroyed an NPC guard's shield, which left him very vunerable for the rest of the fight (and the rest of his life), which lasted about a round later.

Jumba

I thought it was the attacking player who decided which item he wants to Sunder? I think the book indicates that he can attack either a weapon or shield, and that he picks what he hits, not the target.

geordiekimbo said:
I thought it was the attacking player who decided which item he wants to Sunder? I think the book indicates that he can attack either a weapon or shield, and that he picks what he hits, not the target.

Hmm... you are right, but I think as you are not consciously attacking the shield or the weapon, but the defending person, he may elect with witch one he wants to parry. Or, if you are not happy with that, let the dice decide.

Hmm... you are right, but I think as you are not consciously attacking the shield or the weapon,

I would disagree, you're making an effort to attack a target's weapons, hence why he gets an AoO against you.

geordiekimbo, you do not provoke an AoO within the Optional Weapon Breakage rules. Now, if someone was making an ordinary Sunder Attempt on a target's weapon, then yes they would provoke an AoO (unless they had the Improved Sunder feat).

I give the target the option of parrying with his shield or weapon as a house rule. In the actual optional rules as written the weapon breakage allows a sunder attack against the target's weapon only.

Jumba

I give the target the option of parrying with his shield or weapon as a house rule. In the actual optional rules as written the weapon breakage allows a sunder attack against the target's weapon only.

Just read the optional rule for it.

Good call.

Yeah go with the defenders choice of weapon in the optional weapon breakage rule

It's the defender's choice as it is he who is making the parry, and don't forget that no damage is inficted on the weapon/shield. It's an all or nothing deal, it is either broken or intact, unlike an actual sunder.

Having the parry roll equal the attack roll in order for the optional weapon breakage to possibly occur is going to be quite a rare event.

Back