Was there Ever a Book for the Far Frontiers Sector?

kronovan

Mongoose
I just got the Spinward Extents and was wondering if there was ever a publication for any Traveller edition that covered the Far Frontiers Sector? I've been homebrewing a campaign for a while that's set in those Foreven subsectors that are adjacent to the Far Frontiers, The Beyond and Vanguard Reaches. My homebrew is premised on smaller Foreven polities that are very much proxies of more powerful polities in the adjacent sectors. So I'm craving any info on the Far Frontiers, The Beyond and Vanguard Reaches. Spinward Extents is filling in nicely for the latter 2, but I need info on the Far Frontiers.

Off the top of my head I can recall Keith brothers' adventures being set there.

Checking the wiki:

Yes, the FASA Adeventures:
  1. Uragyad'n of the Seven Pillars
  2. Ordeal by Eshaar
  3. Rescue on Galatea
  4. Legend of the Sky Raiders
  5. Trail of the Sky Raiders
  6. Fate of the Sky Raiders
  7. Stazhlekh Report/The Harrensa Project
Are all set in Far Frontiers, which was FASA's land grant for Traveller back in the day. So individual worlds are detailed and there are some subsector maps in some of the adventures. Some world data is different in these books than you'll find on the Traveller Map and Traveller Wiki, due to subsequent revisions.

What will be interesting is to see how much of Far frontiers gets detailed in the upcoming Sky Raiders trilogy campaign book from Mongoose.

Update - looking at the State of the Mongoose post, where this was mentioned, I read:

Legend of the Sky Raiders: Yes, it is coming back! A much-beloved favourite amongst veteran Travellers, this complete campaign is being re-written from the ground up with plenty of setting information provided for an area far beyond the borders of the Imperium, Contacts (and Allies, Rivals and Enemies) threaded into the campaign to give your Travellers a personal connection, and a fast-paced storyline that nevertheless gives a chance to explore the subsector and engage in personal projects. Legend of the Sky Raiders is rooted in ancient archaeology and the pursuit of both knowledge and riches – if you ever fancied trying your hand at being a Space Indiana Jones, Legend of the Sky Raiders will be for you.

So Plenty of setting information promised, but you may have to wait, as this does not even appear on the Release Schedule yet, so is certainly the second half of 2023 with the possibility of slipping into next year, as is always the case.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies - the links and info are much appreciated.

I had previously visited the Far Frontiers page on the Traveller wiki, but it's probably time to revisit. What I'm finding I need to know right now is the history of the rulership/leadership of the FF polities and their history of conflict/warfare with nearby polities. Mostly because my Foreven polities are proxies pf polities in one of the adjacent sectors. So for example, the discussion in The Spinward Extent's of the succession of rulers in the
Principality of Bruhkarr and its conflict with Katanga and its eventual breakaway to become the Katanga Empire, is very helpful to me because both of those polities have proxies in my Foreven sectors.

So...I noticed that the FASA adventures are all available in an economically priced bundle at drivethru. That's got me wondering if I could mine some of the info I'm looking for from them. I'm mostly looking for info on the Mnemoysne Principality, the Union of Garth and The Protectorate.

Last edited:
From the credits page on TravellerMap:

In the Far Frontiers sector, Jungleblut subsector of was designed by J. Andrew Keith for Trail of the Sky Raiders(FASA). Alsas subsector was designed by Bill Fawcett, and published in "Privateer" (Gameplay, April 1983). The remaining rimward subsectors were designed by Dale L. Kemper for FASA, and published in Ares Magazine, Special Edition #2 (TSR), and The Traveller Chronicle #2, #3, and #4 (Sword of the Knight Publications). The coreward eight subsectors were designed by Jim Kundert, originally published in The Traveller Chronicle #5, #6 and #8. Trail of the Sky Raiders and The Traveller Chronicle issues are available through Far Future Enterprise's "GDW" store at DriveThru RPG.

If you pick up The Traveller Chronicles issues 2/3/4/5/6/8 you'll basically have a full sector guide.

Thanks for the Tip. Luckily, for issues 2-4 the Far Frontiers article was 1st and it's possible to determine from the drivethru preview what subsectors were covered. I bought and found the polities I was interested in within Chronicles 3 & 4.

Man are those early Traveller Chronicles editions ever fun and funky stuff. They remind me of the AD&D and Gamma World newsletter that we produced at our College wargaming club in the late 80's - dot matrix printed headlines and paragraphs FTW! :giggle: Does anyone know what the cover of Traveller Chronicle 5 is supposed to depict? The cover page image is all messed up in the Driverthru preview, so know way to be sure by it.
To me it looks like a giant, hooded dwarf that's on fire and vomiting on a man holding sparklers. Surely that can't be what it's supposed to be though. o_O

Last edited:
:giggle: Does anyone know what the cover of Traveller Chronicle 5 is supposed to depict? The cover page image is all messed up in the Driverthru preview, so know way to be sure by it.
To me it looks like a giant, hooded dwarf that's on fire and vomiting on a man holding sparklers. Surely that can't be what it's supposed to be though. o_O
I believe that's an accurate assessment of the cover, though the big figure looks more like some sort of ghoul.
The cover artist is credited to a Richard Biever, so I suppose somebody can track him down and ask him if he's still around nearly thirty years later. I got all the Traveller Chronicle titles in PDF back in 2018. They're pretty good, even if just for the Far Frontiers stuff (can't believe I paid $60 for them, but they're not on my Bundle of Holding list, so I must have ponied up the cash)

...Traveller Chronicle titles in PDF back in 2018. They're pretty good, even if just for the Far Frontiers stuff (can't believe I paid $60 for them, but they're not on my Bundle of Holding list, so I must have ponied up the cash)
Yep, I'm pleased with the contents of the 2 chronicles I bought and I'm pondering getting the rest. I haven't decided whether I'll acquire them one at a time over time, or plunge in deep with the $60 bundle. With the backlog of Traveller and other TTRPGs PDFs and books I have in my reading backlog, I'll likely buy them one at a time.

I let Richard have free reign on that first cover. It was a rush job and he just repurposed something he had already been working on. Sorry, I know it wasn't very Travelleresque, but I feel he did great on the later covers once he had source material to pull from. Glad to see people still using them.

Back