Sector Construction Guide - Now Available!

MongooseKat

Mongoose
The latest product has just been released for Traveller, and so now you have everything you need to create your very own universe with the Sector Construction Guide!

You can grab your copy right now at: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/products/sector-construction-guide

SectorConstructionGuideBoxset_600x.jpg

The Sector Construction Guide jumpstarts creativity to develop sectors of the referee’s own making, with a focus on the Foreven sector, an area adjacent to the Spinward Marches. The guidelines in this set provide tools to develop a detailed sector, whether in Charted Space or in an entirely different universe, covering overall setting creation, mainworlds, polities, and alien sophonts, with suggestions for variants to system creation rules to fit a referee’s unique ideas.

Included in the Sector Construction Guide:

• The Sector Construction Guide, a book that takes you through the process of creating a sector from scratch
• Two-sided poster map with both Foreven sector and a blank sector for the referee to start from scratch
• Forms and Charts booklet
• Pad of blank world maps

Wish I could say I was happy with this release, but £20 for a 87-page pdf which, going by the DT full-size preview, is also plagued by the overly compressed image quality all of Mongoose's recent digital titles suffer from is quite ... :shock: :shock: :shock: I normally don't mind paying the higher than average prices on the big MGT2 PDFs, but this one is really taking the cake to new heights tbh... A more reasonable price and I would have bought sight unseen, but now this one is definitely going to the back of my maybe-one-day queue. Sorry Mongoose peeps, but you lost a sale here :cry:

Does this have a more in-depth star system generation, much like CT Book 6 Scouts or MT World Builder's Handbook?

Lurking Grue said:
Does this have a more in-depth star system generation, much like CT Book 6 Scouts or MT World Builder's Handbook?

Not as such, but the Deep Space Exploration Handbook in the Great Rift set does.

The Sector Construction Guide jumpstarts creativity to develop sectors of the referee’s own making, with a focus on the Foreven sector, an area adjacent to the Spinward Marches.
Just how wedded is the SCG to default Traveller Universe - i.e. charted space? I'm asking because there are lots of sci-fi Universes and Worlds ripe for conversion.

I would also like to see a good guide to fleshing out individual worlds - going beyond the mainworld-centric point of view.

IanBruntlett said:
Just how wedded is the SCG to default Traveller Universe - i.e. charted space? I'm asking because there are lots of sci-fi Universes and Worlds ripe for conversion.

Not at all. Examples are based in the Charted Space universe, but if you are using Traveller for another universe you should find the Sector Construction Guide fits in perfectly.

Who are Studio 2?
Are they the book printer or some such?

Anyway - there is quite a bit of useful stuff in the book - if people take a look at the drivethru version preview there is a contents page.

Sigtrygg said:
Anyway - there is quite a bit of useful stuff in the book - if people take a look at the drivethru version preview there is a contents page.
Looks interesting. Thanks for the reference.

CordwainerFish said:
Lurking Grue said:

Not as such, but the Deep Space Exploration Handbook in the Great Rift set does.
Okay, thanks for the info!

Too bad, as I was hoping for an updated take on Book 6/WBH. The rules in the Great Rift aren't really in-depth enough for what I was thinking/hoping. This book would have been perfect for a more thorough star system creation rules, IMHO. Well, fortunately I have the WBH to fall back on.

Lurking Grue said:
Too bad, as I was hoping for an updated take on Book 6/WBH. The rules in the Great Rift aren't really in-depth enough for what I was thinking/hoping. This book would have been perfect for a more thorough star system creation rules, IMHO. Well, fortunately I have the WBH to fall back on.

I kind of want to do that, so I'll start pestering Matthew about it as a future project...

Geir said:
Lurking Grue said:

I kind of want to do that, so I'll start pestering Matthew about it as a future project...
I'm definitely interested in something like that.

Geir said:
Lurking Grue said:

Yes, please do! If you get the go ahead, please consider having enough detail to rival MegaTraveller era World Builder's Handbook. An updated version of WBH would be an instant buy for me.

Lurking Grue said:
Geir said:
Lurking Grue said:

Yes, please do! If you get the go ahead, please consider having enough detail to rival MegaTraveller era World Builder's Handbook. An updated version of WBH would be an instant buy for me.

I've got a copy of the original sitting literally within reach as I type this. And Book 6 is in a box somewhere and also on PDF. Haven't brought it up with Matt, yet. I have attention span problems as it is, so I can only manage one project at a time or none get done...

GURPs Traveller First In also did a good job on this topic, so it makes a good reference.

The problem with solar system design is that they look a lot different than, well, the Solar System - something none of us expected in the 80s or 90s. I did a 10,000 line Visual Basic program for that sort of thing thirty years ago, but abandoned attempts to update it after about 1997 when it was clear that things don't look like the textbooks told us they would... but the basic math still works on determining temperature, orbits, and the like. What's needed is a repeatable (and portable into code for those so inclined) method to not only create new systems but to expand existing mainworlds into full systems and still stay 'true' to UWP, the old PBG characteristics, and even the T5 stuff - where the T5 stuff makes sense.

Geir said:
Lurking Grue said:
Geir said:

I've got a copy of the original sitting literally within reach as I type this. And Book 6 is in a box somewhere and also on PDF. Haven't brought it up with Matt, yet. I have attention span problems as it is, so I can only manage one project at a time or none get done...

GURPs Traveller First In also did a good job on this topic, so it makes a good reference.

The problem with solar system design is that they look a lot different than, well, the Solar System - something none of us expected in the 80s or 90s. I did a 10,000 line Visual Basic program for that sort of thing thirty years ago, but abandoned attempts to update it after about 1997 when it was clear that things don't look like the textbooks told us they would... but the basic math still works on determining temperature, orbits, and the like. What's needed is a repeatable (and portable into code for those so inclined) method to not only create new systems but to expand existing mainworlds into full systems and still stay 'true' to UWP, the old PBG characteristics, and even the T5 stuff - where the T5 stuff makes sense.

You did too?! I built mine in MS Access twenty years ago, based on First In. Still have it rattling around in my file archive somewhere. Had forms and reports to view the systems and everything. It was pretty slick, for its time.

Would also like to add a +1 for a world building supplement. If I had my druthers I would gravitate more to the simplicity of Book 6 than the complexity of GT: FI.

Some recent software programs like Space Engine, Elite Dangerous, Astronsynthesis have built in system generating software. Does anyone know if their models are more current...or are they just showing us what we expected in the last century with better graphics?

Back