Vor: The Maelstrom

CmdrKiley

Mongoose
Here's a great game system that died due to it's company closing shop to start Wizkids.

Great game system, one of the best (this and Ultimate Warzone are two of my favorite Battle/Skirmish size TTGs). Lots of great fluff, great looking minis and like I said a kick ass rules system. Unfortunately not all the minis were made to support the units in the Force Books. Also not all the Forcebooks were published for all the factions. The Custom Force Builder Book never made it to publication.

I understand that there was a huge legal mess between Wizkids and the Fasa game designer, Mike "Skuzzy" Nelson. I also heard that it was resolved, however Mike has been unavaible to give permission for anything new to support it. Iron Wind Metals makes the minis, and even released several models that never made it to production.

However, publishing the Custom Force Builder Book, the Golem, Mashers and Deruu (sp??) Forcebooks would breath new life into the game. Complete with more new minis. Perhaps even a Force list to combine other Mongoose armies to tie in with this game system would work, like SST factions.

CmdrKiley said:
Here's a great game system that died due to it's company closing shop to start Wizkids.

Great game system, one of the best (this and Ultimate Warzone are two of my favorite Battle/Skirmish size TTGs). Lots of great fluff, great looking minis and like I said a kick ass rules system. Unfortunately not all the minis were made to support the units in the Force Books. Also not all the Forcebooks were published for all the factions. The Custom Force Builder Book never made it to publication.

I understand that there was a huge legal mess between Wizkids and the Fasa game designer, Mike "Skuzzy" Nelson. I also heard that it was resolved, however Mike has been unavaible to give permission for anything new to support it. Iron Wind Metals makes the minis, and even released several models that never made it to production.

However, publishing the Custom Force Builder Book, the Golem, Mashers and Deruu (sp??) Forcebooks would breath new life into the game. Complete with more new minis. Perhaps even a Force list to combine other Mongoose armies to tie in with this game system would work, like SST factions.

Ceru, little Blue Biker Dudes.

I love VOR (in actuality we're playing tonight Lol), and would like nothing more than to see it return, but I think its unlikely.

I do my bit to keep the 'flame' burning, but as you say its IP is all over the place. The reason why Iron Wind was able to do the metals is because they way the IP has been 'split', so they can do Miniatures - but not rules.

I'm curious about this game, I hear its name popping up all the time. Also, their is nothing on wikipedia about it. Could anyone post a link or tell me about it?

Mage said:
I'm curious about this game, I hear its name popping up all the time. Also, their is nothing on wikipedia about it. Could anyone post a link or tell me about it?

You could check out my Website, its got links and info

http://www.vor-the-maelstrom.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html

Nice site.

So what was the gme system like?

Also, are the miniaturs still being produced. Shard sound cool.

Mage said:
Nice site.

So what was the gme system like?

Also, are the miniatures still being produced. Shard sound cool.

Played with my Shard tonight, 1k vs a 1k 'Homegrown' Tau Battlesuit Army. I won (quite convincingly for once).

D10, Action Points (they call them MP's), very few tables, alternate activation.

Iron Wind Metals in the US, and Ral Partha Europe in the UK.

SHARD ROCK!

So the game is not really dead then, since the miniatures are still accessible, and the rules in some format exist somewhere.

I'd be up for going to a con and trying to revive this game with a bunch of other people if they wanted.

Oh my God, the shard miniatures are just Wow.

It is a bit odd how the online store is all over a secure connection.

When I have some money next month (busy lodging money into various accounts and paying for driving lessons) I'm ordering some of these.

I'll check out your sight again tomorrow LT, and thanks for the info!

This Vor thing rocks.

Don't mean to do multiple post, but, ah hell, I do!

I just got excited with the models and went to ebay, and just bid on a vor rulebooks for $4.99, with only an hour left!

Mwhahahaha!

I would give my right arm, and whatever else Mongoose wanted if they could somehow re-start this game! Best game EVER! Don't get me wrong, SST is ok, but VOR just flat out blows it (and EVERYTHING ELSE) away! The artwork was amazing the rules were amazing, it had FLAWLESS miniatures w/tons of different and imaginative races (not an orc in sight and no "Elves in Space) and used terrain better than any wargame that has ever been made imo. I'm tearing up as we speak. It even had an incredable campaign system. My favourite army (I had four huge ones) were my Growlers. Basically if you cross King Kong with a T-rex you have a Growler. They travelled in packs, and during campaigns you could actually have pups grow to juveniles, then to mature "Bulls", then possibly rise to challenge the Chieftan himself. Awesome stuff!

What I thought was it's greatest strenght was the army creation section. It actually had rules for you to make any type of army you wanted from scratch, and the great thing is, is that the fluff of the VOR universe actually backed up whatever you did (for those interested there is a great set of novels published by Warner books, http://www.twbookmark.com I think that's it anyway...). Whew! Sorry to ramble like that, but I just get so excited when the subject of this game comes up. I realize it would probably compete too much with SST, but if one game must die so that another, better game may live than so be it...

Oh, and Shard drule Pharon Rule! Long live the TOMB KING!

Okey dokey. I one the bid (I could not really sleep lastnight: the excitement!).

It cost me 12 euros and ten cents. My wallet can afford it.

So how does army creation work? I got a few ideas for my own armies:

Stormtroopers from star wars
Vendenni from Star Ocean
My own stuff
Vorlons from Babylon 5

Oh, and those growlers are ugly bugerz. I like them, but only an ugly growler momma would LOVE them.

Mage said:
Okey dokey. I one the bid (I could not really sleep lastnight: the excitement!).

It cost me 12 euros and ten cents. My wallet can afford it.

So how does army creation work? I got a few ideas for my own armies:

Stormtroopers from star wars
Vendenni from Star Ocean
My own stuff
Vorlons from Babylon 5

Oh, and those growlers are ugly bugerz. I like them, but only an ugly growler momma would LOVE them.

Its all in the back of the Book, HOWEVER. Its not 'quite' right. For example, if you "reverse engineer" a Union Trooper he costs over 50 points, and pays 4 MP to fire his primary weapon. Whereas a Std Union Grunt actually costs 28 Points and only expends 3 MP fo fire his Rifle.

When you have worked out the final points, don't impose the "10%" discount off the cost of the primary weapon, reduce the primary weapons cost by 1 MP. Then Divide the total points cost of the model by 1.8 - this will bring it "Into Line" with the cost of the rest of the Armies in VOR.

Even though I adore the game (I wouldn't have done a Website if I didn't) it has its inherrant problems. Certain rules are missing, or need further clarification. The Custom Force rules need adjustment, and at the end of the day its a skirmish game - you simply can't play HUGE games with the system (unless you have a LOT of time to game, trust me I've tried).

Is it battletech big games, or more... Necromunda big.

You know, small number of figs, long games.

Well, I don't mind that, it saves me buying loads of miniatures (and painting them too!).

It depends, we generally play 1k. That lasts a couple of hours (including chat and setup), but we digress a lot.

I just love the idea of it and the Races involved!

They are cool alright. I have to say they have the same level of originality as Babylon 5 (which I like and think is cool!).

So, do you ever bring your stuff to cons and try and run events of it.

Ever thinking of running a Vor Revival campaign on the internet or something? That would be kick Ass

Mage said:
They are cool alright. I have to say they have the same level of originality as Babylon 5 (which I like and think is cool!).

So, do you ever bring your stuff to cons and try and run events of it.

Ever thinking of running a Vor Revival campaign on the internet or something? That would be kick Ass

My site is slowing down now, we seem to have 'peaked' at 1600 hits or so.

No, I've never done Cons - I would be worried about my precious toys getting damaged or worse!

Tis a shame.

I suppose you'd ne lucky to find one group per god know how many thousand players that still do Vor. And Id say noobs like me are hens teeth rare.

Back