Vehicle Handbook - Now Shipping!

Colin said:
I should check the mail today. Might be something waiting for me.

Just so long as it is not ticking...

Oh that's just the doomsday clock, nothing to worry about.

Or maybe that was the car bomb we designed with the Vehicle Handbook...

I got a nice surprise in my mailbox this afternoon! Spent the evening reading through it. The design system exceeded my expectations: it seems to strike a very nice balance between ease of use & offering a wide array of options. Tomorrow I'm going to try making up some vehicles for it.

I'd rate it as a VAST improvement over the old vehicle supplements. For one, it's actually useable, and I think it will come in handy to create vehicles for other game systems as well.

It's nice that there's some new-to-Traveller material in there: such as Aerodynes, vacustat airships, and super-cavitation drive submersibles to name a few.

The book also had some nice surprises: such as the stats for OTU alien vehicles, as well as vehicles from Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, & Hammer's Slammers books.

I'd also completely forgotten that the book included power armor construction rules, so that was a nice "surprise" as well.

Strithe said:
It's nice that there's some new-to-Traveller material in there: such as Aerodynes, vacustat airships, and super-cavitation drive submersibles to name a few.
Spectre Run, Spectre Run, Whoo!
*breaks out the guitar solo* I'm getting this even if only for the chance to have one of those babies.

Strithe said:
I'd rate it as a VAST improvement over the old vehicle supplements.

And, at the end of the day, that is why we did this book - we had a great idea, it was better thean the existing one, and so we went ahead.

For anyone wondeing about 'second edition' supplements, the new Vehicle Handbook really is the model of what we would want to do. Not just a couple of tweaks here and there (we would do that via a free PDF), but a wholesale revision with an eye not just for the better, but for the awesome.

When everyone starts getting their copies of this book, let us know whether we are on the right lines with this. Then we'll raise the question again 'which books could use a second edition?'

msprange said:
Strithe said:
I'd rate it as a VAST improvement over the old vehicle supplements.

And, at the end of the day, that is why we did this book - we had a great idea, it was better thean the existing one, and so we went ahead.

Starts sound very promising. Fingers itching but until it gets PDF version won't get it. As said this is precisely the kind of supplement I prefer to have on PDF for ease of use.

Though I'm tempted to get the book+PDF bundle from the leisure games...That way I would have both! Tad more expensive but both+faster.

Damn you Mongoose. How many classes of temptress you multi-classed into anyway?-)

I can not claim to be a Tech head as such, but I really quite enjoy the way this new book is put together and works.

I tested the construction system by first of all making a set of powered armour (Sort of attempting to make a set not unsimilar to the stuff from Living Steel) and was able to get it fairly close. I actually found the wealth of options here pretty extensive and given my love for all things powered armour, this chapter really shines in the book for me.

Next I decided to try and make a cargo runner type vehicle like you would find in the Hardwired universe by Walter Jon Williams (Cowboy's armoured vehicle for making the run) . Once more the system was simple yet powerful enough that I could produce something extremely close.

So all in all I love the new book. I will need to read it more in depth to make sure there isn't any hidden craziness with the rules, but so far the system seems well explained and works as promised.

Just my two cents.

Mara.

This sounds great - I can't wait to buy the PDF (ahem) - but why is there not even a preview on the product web page ? :(

Got my copy today - thank you, Royal Mail :)

I like it a lot. A more detailed contents would be nice - something for me to do when/if I get a quiet moment. Also, some printable sheets with core tables on them would be nice. I'll see what I can do about that :)

As for a generic vehicles stat sheet, I photocopied the top half of p4 and made do with that. Worked OK for me to create a 6 wheeled Land Rover.

I've noticed 2 incorrect page numbers on p3.

Step 3 should refer to page 29

Step 4 should refer to pages 30-34

HTH :)

Thanks for the preview, it looks nice.

Would I be correct in thinking that this build system is similar to the one in Robots ?

AndrewW said:
Rick said:
Heh - given the past history of proofreading these documents, that might be a dangerous thing to say! :lol: Before anybody lights any torches or grabs the pitchforks, are there any others you wish to admit to? :lol:

There have been a few...

That said, playtesting isn't really about proofreading though if I find something (which even happened on the one thing I got that had the proofreader's comments inbeded) I will make mention it.

I only just saw this thread... my names on the credits too!! :)

I found quite a few errors and so on, thanks to Openoffice... so many in the end that I was wondering if I'd get in the credits or if Matt would just want rid of me... :lol:

I still beat myself up over those lost designs and not getting them redone and sent to Matt though... damned hard drive :(

Back