VaS Questions

Digger

Mongoose
Having read the rules I have a couple of initial questions:

1. Can damage control be performed the same turn a ship gets damaged?

2. Create Smoke - Can a ship using this special action still attack as normal? If so, doesn't this mean that this ship can attack but can't be attacked in return?

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Digger said:
Having read the rules I have a couple of initial questions:

1. Can damage control be performed the same turn a ship gets damaged?
yes, in the end phase as normal.
Digger said:
2. Create Smoke - Can a ship using this special action still attack as normal? If so, doesn't this mean that this ship can attack but can't be attacked in return?
i dont recall the exact wording on smoke but yes you can shoot and create smoke. keep in mind that the smoke only covers the back portion of your ship because it starts in the middle of the ship. maybe someone with ther rulebook handy can clarify for sure.

Since smoke is a Special Action, you place it before you move. Then your ship moves and attacks normally for the remainder of the turn. Since you always have to move a minimum of 1 inch (unless your ship speed is 0 due to Criticals) you will begin to move out of the smoke during that current turn. So for the ship that laid the smoke, only the rear most portion of the ship will be protected by the smoke (unless the attacking ship has Radar). Of course, the smoke you have laid down can help block line of sight to other ships in your fleet. You can even move other ships in your fleet behind the smoke to protect them as well.

Captain Mysto said:
Since you always have to move a minimum of 1 inch (unless your ship speed is 0 due to Criticals) you will begin to move out of the smoke during that current turn.

I would have thought that the smoke would move with the ship. I think of the ship making smoke for it's entire turn not just puffing some out and the moving on.

I can see that the rules don't say this though, however nor do they clarify that the counter is left behind (or do they?).

Oly said:
I would have thought that the smoke would move with the ship. I think of the ship making smoke for it's entire turn not just puffing some out and the moving on.
Ideally, the ship should lay a row of smoke markers (or is it Smoke or SMOKE, for the ASL players?) as it moves, but always behind it. But if the ship moves too fast, the smoke will be thinned & patchy, so the idea of a smoke marker of fixed length is a decent compromise (remembering the 'ground' scale of the game!) And let's just not get into the effects of wind...

Wulf

Interesting,

So how is smoke portrayed within the game then? how many inches long is a smoke screen generated in one turn? Surely more than just a "puff"!

Cpt K (the cursed)
Hoping my rules will arrive tomorrow

Wulf Corbett said:
Oly said:
Ideally, the ship should lay a row of smoke markers (or is it Smoke or SMOKE, for the ASL players?) as it moves, but always behind it. But if the ship moves too fast, the smoke will be thinned & patchy, so the idea of a smoke marker of fixed length is a decent compromise (remembering the 'ground' scale of the game!) And let's just not get into the effects of wind...

Wulf

Oh I'm quite happy for it to be a single counter, a more "realistic" trail of counters would be too much complication for too little a benefit.

I was wondering about Captain Mysto's statement that the smoke counter is left where it was when it was placed rather than moving with the ship.

Captain Kremmen said:
So how is smoke portrayed within the game then? how many inches long is a smoke screen generated in one turn? Surely more than just a "puff"!

It's a counter which is about the same size as ship counter, so it's about 3 inches long.

Oh I'm quite happy for it to be a single counter, a more "realistic" trail of counters would be too much complication for too little a benefit.

Say that again when your carrier is under fire from an enemy BB and your destroyer screen can't adequately cover her with smoke properly :D

Anyone experimented with a bigger puff? maybe two puffs in a line?

I think 2 would be nice?

Can you keep "puffing" on consecutive turns, or is it one puff and you are out?

Sorry for asking I haven't got my rulebook yet

K

Other sets of rules that I have used allow for a continuous line of smoke along the line of the ship's movement, with some duration attached.For simplicity I'd only allow it to remain on table for one turn.

Captain Mysto said:
I believe that the rules state that the smoke goes away at the end of the turn. But I don't have my book right in front of me.
thats right. you can puff as many times as youd like but each puff goes away at the end of the turn.

Back