VAS Firing Arcs: Template for smaller ships?

nezeray

Mongoose
I noticed that the firing arc template that comes with the book/counters lines up with the large ships well, but it seems to give a larger side arc on smaller ships.

Do we use the actual template for the smaller ships or use it as a guide on where the arcs should originate?

side note: Has anyone else copied it onto transparencies so they can actually see through it? Same with the turning template.

Nezeray

The arc template doesn't correspond with the rules, which say that you use the ship's centre point for arc measurement. See page 7, "Eligible targets" section, 2nd paragraph. The arc template is totally useless, and confusing.

We use a transparent ACTA template by GF9.

I created a combined turning template for both starboard and port and then printed onto clear 1/8' lexan, and routered it out to the shape of the template. Works great! I made a bunch, all my buddies love it. If it doesn't violate any Mongoose rules, I may make up some more and sell them at cost. Also planning on doing the same for the arc template, smoke and maybe some Special Action/Remains in play couters. I'll try an post a pic when I get a chance.

I copied the templates onto acetate and they work great. The single side template that comes with the set can be flipped over if it is transparant. I made a bunch up and dropped them off at my FLGS to hand out to players. I also did that for the arc template. I have been using the arc template with my minis, as have all of our players at our FLGS. IMO, it works better than the 'x' on the counter idea, epsecially with the Beam +1. It narrows the port and stbd broadsies to what is a bit more realistic. As a point of advice, if you copy the fire arc template over to acetate, use a permanent marker to place a dot on the bridge so you can easily see it. Once they are on acetate, the lines on the ship outline run together a bit. It is faster and easier to use if you put a mark on the bridge.

BS

Back