VaS 2.0 confirmed!

Counters I doubt it, but the old ones will work.
Ship list will be quite extensive compared to the first edition.
Ray

Ray,

I'm sure the lists in VaS 2 will be far larger than in 1.0, but if you look at the number of shps then included in OoB and add that to the number done in S&P and also on here, I would think that even with the incresed initial list there would be two supplements worth of ships still hanging around

I just suggested a possible way of publishng both supplements with minimal grief and whinging :)

Viktor_Renquist said:
When OoB was in production, and even after its release, some of the most bitter exchanges on here occurred between those who felt that OoB should include only historical ships and those who wanted hypotheticals and other what-if type options

Given that, since you aren't going to be able to get every vessel used and/or planned statted out (and the simple proof of that is the ongoing questions regarding ship stats on this forum) in a single volume, of whatever size, would the easiest answer be to perhaps issue two supplementary stat books, one with historical data and one with hypotheticals?

Hypothetical ships are seperated from the rest in the fleet lists, so they are now obvious. As for n ot getting every vessel in... well, we are looking into ways and means of doing just that :)

When you say you've seperated out hypotheticals, are you talking only about the Z-plan, or are other nation's hypotheticals (e.g. Montana-class BB) included as well?

Spectrar Ghost said:
When you say you've seperated out hypotheticals, are you talking only about the Z-plan, or are other nation's hypotheticals (e.g. Montana-class BB) included as well?

Howabout aircraft carrier made out of ice :D

(now that was funny concept)

Spectrar Ghost said:

Other nations as well.

Producing home-brew counters for WW2 ships is relatively easy. The artwork is out there just waiting to be snapped up.

Somewhere around here I've got 1:3000 counters for most of the Soviet navy of WW2. Just simple stand ups that I made using Word and side views grabbed form the net, which are out there for just about every ship class ever built. I even found side views for most of the non-existent ships. Came in very handy to play the game til my Navwar ships arrived, and to fill out gaps.

As to an ice carrier, at 2000 feet, with 300 feet beam, the model would be what, 10 inches long, 1.5 wide at 1:2400? That would make a great what if objective vs Z ships.

Well I have been listing everything used in WWII and popular others for the other OOBs list I worked up but it is far from being done.
Ray

In my opinion this will be a much much bigger book than in the past.
Most likely the biggest book Mongoose will ever turn out.

Arch Lector Petrovski said:
So how substantive is this update, only played a few games using counters at home; finances and lack of opponents has made it difficult to get too into it?

Depends on what you mean substantive?
The ship list will be much larger if not overkill compared to version 1.0.
Alot of historical info and background.
Quite a few scenarios from all fronts.
As stated before different types of games: such as convoy duty, carrier raids, Naval base raids,
coastal actions, etc.

I guess that my most important question is:
"Will there be any manner by which players can easily add new ships?"

I understand completely the need to sell books and expansions... but it is can't be economical for the staff of Mongoose to codify every little vessel from the 1860's on down. It makes sense for players to have some method of adding some of the lesser-known vessels which they might want to put into their campaigns.

carthaginian said:
It makes sense for players to have some method of adding some of the lesser-known vessels which they might want to put into their campaigns.

We actually have a half-crazy idea that this will not be necessary - butwe ill have to see how it goes. Quite a way to travel on the new rules yet.

msprange said:
carthaginian said:
It makes sense for players to have some method of adding some of the lesser-known vessels which they might want to put into their campaigns.

We actually have a half-crazy idea that this will not be necessary - butwe ill have to see how it goes. Quite a way to travel on the new rules yet.

Always necessary to add more ships- even if the ships one adds are only rough sketches or long-forgotten springstyles. The more, the better!

If its not whole fleets you can always request something here and most people will help you. As for formulaes I cant give that out without Matts permission but I can help with stats, also when S&P comes out again that is where we can see fleets or at least scenarios for VAS includding the Russo-Japanese war and others. My understanding is most of that kind of stuff will use the VAS AOD WWI system. After the supplement book for AOD comes out we might talk Mongoose in coming out with rules for older wars.

See, this was the problem- for me, it will include full fleets.
I needed a flexible system that could sim large battles quickly and simple, but which allowed me to put ships that exist only in people's imaginations into the game. The only other option was dropped by the studio for a cheesy card-based game before air combat rules were developed. They saw that A&A's cheesy card game was selling so they hopped on the bandwagon, and a perfectly good system was killed.

So, if VaS doesn't have any plans to put out a system where people can integrate designs that didn't exist... it makes the game, while fun, a lot less like what I want to invest in for a new edition. In truth, I'm less interested in the historic ships than I am in the ability to have battles involving those from my playgroup's imaginations.

unfortunately I dont know any naval games like your wanting. But anythings possible. If you look at the rules you are talking about rules were it doesnt have to be acurate.
think of it this way most DDs have 12" guns thats simple if you own the rules just pick the size ship you want from the rules then pick guns from similar sizes of ship what ever nation and you can build any ship you want. If your wanting a point value it doesnt have one in VAS 1.0
just BBs vs BBs.

• Big Battleship genaric(MayFlower)
    Speed: 5"
    Turning: 1
    Target: 4+
    Armor: 6+
    Special: Aircraft 2
    Torpedo Belt
    Armored Deck
    Damage: 43 / 14

• Main Turrets
    A Turret 4x14" 46 4 3 AP
    B Turret 4x14" 46 4 3 AP
    Other turrets
    Secondary Armament 14 4 1 W
    AA 5 8 - -

That's basically what I'm going to have to do. Find the ships with the closest match to my intended weapon, transfer it to the basic hull type and speed. Not as exact as I was hoping for, but it'll serve.

The game that allowed for precise adding of any ship was Grand Fleets. They just changed it to be more like Axis & Allies War at Sea, right as it was getting interesting... the Russo-Japanese war book was coming out.

Back