Vanguard - A Traveller Miniatures Game

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
A miniatures game derived from the Traveller RPG is on its way - Vanguard: Boarding Actions in the Fifth Frontier War.

Vanguard pits the Imperial Marines against the psionic troopers of the Zhodani Consulate in a vicious race to gain control of a warship. Players build forces and play through a campaign of missions that start at the initial breach and culminate in a desperate strike against a critical location on the ship. Resources must be managed throughout the battles as boarders and defenders fight for every room and corridor to reach their objectives. Each marine and trooper must contend with not only the enemy, but explosive decompression, alterations to the artificial gravity of the ship, and damage to the hull from the battle raging outside in the void.

The starter set comes complete with gameboards to create multiple configurations of the ship's interior, 16 Imperial Marines, 14 Zhodani troopers, and 2 Zhodani Warbots.

You can find an extended preview of Vanguard right here: http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/?p=869

vanguard-box.jpg

The Kickstarter for Vanguard: Boarding Actions in the Fifth Frontier War has been set for 4pm (GMT) on Wednesday November 14th.

What material are you planning to do the miniatures in?
The sculpts - especially the aslan sculpt - look very impressive.

Is this the mercenaries thing linked to the 5th frontier war that was mentioned a while ago or an additional look at that time period?

MonkeyX said:
Is this the mercenaries thing linked to the 5th frontier war that was mentioned a while ago or an additional look at that time period?

No, a new Mercenary book would be a separate project. Bubbling nicely in the background though...

Sculpts for the Aslan and Vargr look great. Will they be added to the core box set - or will they be sold as separate add on/expansion packs?

crazy_cat said:
Sculpts for the Aslan and Vargr look great. Will they be added to the core box set - or will they be sold as separate add on/expansion packs?

Looks like added with stretch goals.

AndrewW said:
Looks like added with stretch goals.
That was my assumption too.

But, I'm keen to understand if I'll be able to buy just Aslan and Vargr for general use in RPG and other gaming, without the main box set - as I've no interest in a new minis game or ruleset (Traveller, SF, or other) and I've probably got no use for the Imperials and Zods either as my gaming tends to be a lower tech grittier (Aliens, Outland, Marines from Avatar or similar) sort of world view, even if I'm using much of the wider 3I background. And I've got many existing human minis for this sort of gaming already.

Looks like stretch goals add to the core set only, so the minimum buy in is a £90 boxed set. No mention of add-ons or minis only expansion sets. Disappointed :(

Think of the potential for additional boxed minis:
general adventurers
merchant crew
pirates
passengers
droyne
hivers
Ithklur
Geonee
suerat
Darrians
sword worlders
newts
robots
k'kree
Essaray
animals
exotic aliens

As someone that plays online more often than not what’s the possibility of a digital version of this?

MonkeyX said:
As someone that plays online more often than not what’s the possibility of a digital version of this?
Yes, that would be very nice.

A set of tokens with typical 3I aliens for Roll20 would be great.

MonkeyX said:

Beyond the scope of the Kickstarter, but this is indeed a possibility that is being discussed.

I know it’s a bit different but Modiphius offering their starship maps as PDFs have been very handy so a digital version of this would be great, even if I have to put one together by using free rules and purchased starship tiles, which of course would be very useful in my regular Traveller game too.

I'm a little surprised that the Traveller branding is not more prominent in the campaign material. In fact its hardly there at all - I didn't realise it at first. Do you not think this would increase its appeal?

msprange said:
Annatar Giftbringer said:
What about a pdf copy of the rulebook?

Most of the rulebook (in the very least) will be freely available during the Kickstarter.

Do not lose out on money by not having a pdf version of the final rules and maps of Vanguard for sale.

Probably a sensible decision to cancel this alright.

For my part I would be very interested in a release of the rules and boards, as pdfs or in print, and with illustrated counters instead of miniatures. I realise people are fixated on plastic miniatures these days but I find counters work just as well and might actually be an achievable goal. Please consider it!

Not very happy to see this cancelled.

Hope to see it resurrected in some form or other in the future.

Back