Vacc suits and clothing...

Annatar Giftbringer said:
That 'vacc cream', where is it from? Can't find it in any of the books I own..?

My apologies. I wasn't checking this thread. As sideranautae pointed out, it's a thing in my campaign after some research on RL technologies made the idea seemed plausible.

It's mostly because:

1) It seems practical as an in-universe solution after so many thousands of years of space travel and high technology - there's going to be all kinds of solutions to blow-out situations. While the larger segment of space travelers are going to just accept the risks, especially on relatively safe travel from one mainworld to another mainworld, I'd imagine it's no more dangerous than taking a jet airliner today, once you get off the beaten path, things probably get a lot more dicey and people get a lot more paranoid (with or without cause).

2) Out of character and as a practical GM: While the hazards of decompression are pretty exciting in a movie or a novel, it's not a way that I really a way I like to kill off players. It just seems sort of a mundane way to die and I do like my RPGs just a little more dramatic/heroic than that. YMMV, of course.

Pournelle thinks that we could get away with skintight rubber suits. Modern materials might create a latex that can absorb moisture. As for the plumbing:

mccain-in-depends-adult-diapers1.jpg

Reynard said:
"You can pop open that fly to take a leak, just will be the last one you ever take, but your bladder will be empty."

Try any of that stuff while in a cold weather environment such as the Antarctic or even the Arctic. You do all that stuff before you go out and you come back before you need to go again. For Vacc suits, you're usually back well before that 6 hours air supply runs out. Die rolls and things of that nature are for emergency and unusual circumstances. Otherwise vaccs in Traveller is just another work suit.

I can think of a few other problems, you sneeze on your face plate leaving a glob of snot in front of your vision. Some mucus is dripping down your nose and chin and you can't wipe it!

Tom Kalbfus said:
Reynard said:
"You can pop open that fly to take a leak, just will be the last one you ever take, but your bladder will be empty."

Try any of that stuff while in a cold weather environment such as the Antarctic or even the Arctic. You do all that stuff before you go out and you come back before you need to go again. For Vacc suits, you're usually back well before that 6 hours air supply runs out. Die rolls and things of that nature are for emergency and unusual circumstances. Otherwise vaccs in Traveller is just another work suit.

I can think of a few other problems, you sneeze on your face plate leaving a glob of snot in front of your vision. Some mucus is dripping down your nose and chin and you can't wipe it!

Yes but in 0g it wouldn't drip just kind of hang out.

Back