Using what you've got. That's what the Cimmerians do.

Hey Supp4.
This Barbarian you mention, is he your character or one of your player characters in your Seven Stones campaign?
I just ask because I was wondering if, given the choice, his player would exchange the high Charisma for a high Strength Stat or a High Dex?
Have either of you asked your players for their preference? Mine prefer points buys or, occasionally,three sets of rolled stats(pick the best set and apply as desired).
I can see definately see the joy in a random character where you were favoured by the dice rolls, but Kintire makes a good point about what happens if the dice don't favour you ,or are (at best)average.
I would like to reiterate a point that I made in another post and offer some advice.
Never waste time rolling up NPC's. They should have exactly the statistics that you need them to have and exactly the skills and feats that will make them the desired level of challenge you need for the situation.

tarkhan bey said:
This Barbarian you mention, is he your character or one of your player characters in your Seven Stones campaign?

I'm the GM. He is Caelis, mentioned in the Seven Stones campaign. He's one of the PCs.

I just ask because I was wondering if, given the choice, his player would exchange the high Charisma for a high Strength Stat or a High Dex?
Have either of you asked your players for their preference?

Yeah, when the player rolled it, I suggested he take the Test of Fate and and arrange to taste. But, what the player did, instead, was re-roll two of his stats. He had two of them with negative modifiers, so he chose the second Fate Point option. That locked his CHR in at 17, because you can go one route or the other with the Fate Point Tests--not both.

Never waste time rolling up NPC's.

Good advice, but I like "discovering" NPC's too. What I've done so far is roll them up with 3D6. I've done four NPCs this way. And, I only give them skills based on what they need for the encounter I need them for. But, I'm also keep notes in case I need to grow the NPC later.

So, I am rolling, but I'm not developing entire stat blocks until that is needed.

With important NPCs, like Branoc and Drachena, I'm rolling them just like a PC, with 4D6, drop lowest, but not using the Fate Point option.

With super important NPCs, I'll use the exact system that the PCs uses, Fate Point option an all.

I believe our mentalities are sufficiently different that further contact between them on this matter will lead to no profit. My apologies for breaking into your thread.

I really hate to don't have control over the stats of my PC. If I rolled crap stats, and on the party some guy gets luck, I would do my best to die fast and get another character.

These days I'm asking the player what kind of character he/she wanna play, then I give him nice stats that match his concept, and I even ask if it's ok like that or if he wanna change something. In my latest campaing I just gave very hight stats to the PCs, they could choose betwen 18,18,14,10,10,10 or 18,16,16,14,10,10. Since I have just 3 players I wanted them to be very much above the average.

BTW the average joe in my games have something like 16,14,13,10,09,09. I don't think a commom person should be totally crap. The way I see things anyone whit a weapon in his hand should be able to cause real damage, or at least be good at something...

Vambelte said:
I really hate to don't have control over the stats of my PC. If I rolled crap stats, and on the party some guy gets luck, I would do my best to die fast and get another character.

That doesn't always work in my game. It depends on the story, where the PCs are, etc. Many times, I'll bring in a second character like that at 1st level, no matter the level of the PCs. Or, I'll give the original PCs some type of benefit that does not apply to second characters--just so rolling a second character is not as an appealing option.

The other thing I'd do is work with you to see if, together, we could take the stats you have and create something that you would like to play.

There have been many times in the past when a new player comes to my game and rolls crappy stats. It's an unusual circumstance when I can't help the player find a "cool" angle to the character. I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of any player in my game who didn't end up really liking his character after gaming with the toon for a while.

These days I'm asking the player what kind of character he/she wanna play, then I give him nice stats that match his concept, and I even ask if it's ok like that or if he wanna change something.

For me, it may change, depending on the campaign. For Cimmerian Blood, I knew that I was going to start all PCs off as 1st level Cimmerian Barbarians. In a different campaign, I could very easily do something different, including allowing all the character classes--if the story is cooperative.

BTW the average joe in my games have something like 16,14,13,10,09,09. I don't think a commom person should be totally crap.

In my game, I use the default stats to measure "average". 10,10,10,10,10,10 is average.

Of course, the PCs aren't average, which is why they throw 4d6, drop lowest, instead of straight 3d6, to generate stats.

As to your last sentence... I guess it depends on what you consider "good" damage and being "good" at something. I would think that any character without any negative modifiers or stats of 9 or less is pretty good at most things he does--definitely above average.

-- Generating NPCs --

Here's the methods I use for generating NPCs for this campaign.

1. NPCs are created by throwing 3d6 for each stat.

2. If the NPC is important, I'll arrange to taste.

3. GM Caveat - I will sometimes add to a stat, but if I do, I have to take a like amount away from another. In this way, I will tweak the NPC to get him to where I need him to be.

4. If the NPC is very important, I'll create the NPC the same way I would a player character using 4d6, drop the lowest for each stat. A very few NPCs have Fate Points, though.

5. An alternative method is to consider each NPC stat at 10 or 11 (three stats at 10 and three stats at 11) and then use the GM Caveat above to arrange the numbers as needed.

6. Add in racial modifiers and stat boosts due to level.

-- Outline for Game Session Two --

The Outline for Game Session One can be found earlier in the thread: Here.

TWENTY QUESTIONS

Game Two starts with a round of Twenty Questions. I will have prepared a list of questions about the in-depth background I've created for this campaign. Random rolling between players, each player will have a chance to answer several questions. A Fate Point will be awarded to a player's character for every five questions the player answers correctly. The player who answers the most questions correctly will gain a bonus Fate Point.

This should be a fun, game-show, kind of way to review campaign background and learn specifics about our story--especially since its been a while since we've been able to get together to play.

THE BLOND MAN WITH NO TONGUE

Game One ended with the boys dragging the dead man--whom they thought was Vanir--out into the wood as they were told. But, they discovered that the man's red hair was only dyed that way. His true hair color is blond.

The old man is an Aesir. And, somehow, he had gotten his tongue cut out and his hair dyed red and used as an axe target at the celebration of the Beltain in Seven Stones Ridge.

Branoc, Thrallan, and Caelis are present. It will be interesting to see what the players do with this discovery.

Most likely, they will tell their father, and Finn will gather Hrathnar and Ean to see for themselves. If this happens, play the situation to remind the players that they are still just kids. They have no "say". They won't be privy to the discussion between the men. Finn will motion for them to leave. If the players have their characters linger or protest, Finn will bark, "I'm your father and your Clan Elder. Yer not yet men, and even if ye were, there will be things to which ye won't be privy. Now, back to town with ye afore ye feel the backside of me hand across ye cheek. Go, now! Go."

If the players still persist, Finn will make good on his threat and ground any kid still in his sight. He's a big, barrel chested, bearded Cimmerian, and his word is The Law.

If the players look back, they will see Finn hacking off the head of the Aesir with is big, pine-handled battleaxe.

Remind the players that during the first game session, when they were moving the body on the cart from the town to the woods, they saw blind old Rutcrana, by herself, next to the stream, seemingly staring at them through her white-clouded eyes. Her lips were moving.

On the short trip back to the town, Rutcrana is no where to be seen.

LUGHNASA

Three months later (at the end of we call July), the festival of Lughnasa--thanksgiving--is upon them. If Branoc and Thrallan thought that life would change drastically after finishing the Ras Croi, they were mistaken. Still they make their way out into the muck during their mornings to pull what finger-tip sized kernels of bog ore they can find meshed in the grass roots. They're out there with the other boys who have not yet tested themselves against the Ras Croi--and with those, like their brother Caelis, who tried and failed.

But, there is no more time for play, for Branoc and Thrallan. The Graiis is used as extra non-skilled labor for anyone in the clan that needs help. One week, they are helping to repair a roof. The next, they are sent to help the butcher when the hunters bring in an unexpectedly large kill. Branoc and Thrallan help clean the animals, then deliver the skins to the tanner, the claws to the trader, the bones to the carpenter and jeweler, before they are charged with cleaning the butcher's table, floor, and workspace.

The days are not spent training to be great warriors. Instead, the Graiis is used as a slave labor pool free for the asking.

If the characters ask when actual training will begun, the answers will receive a knowing look and a line like, "It is important that a warrior be trained at life as well as with weapons."

The players may notice, though, that unconventional directions come with some of their tasks. For example, they are only allowed hatches when chopping fire wood. And, they are told, "Chop one hundred strokes with your left hand. Then, swap hands with the hatchet, and chop one hundred strokes with your right. Do not use the bigger axes--only the hatchets."

The players may figure out that, at this young age of 12, their bodies are growing, maturing. And the Blue Fox method is to develop the muscles that they will need later. The first year of the Graiis consists mainly of physical labor, developing grip, and strengthening endurance and muscle, even if the members of the Graiis think they are just working for the betterment of the Clan.

There is little time for Branoc and Thrallan to do anything other than work during the day. At night, they eat and collapse from a full day's toil. But, somehow, Branoc finds the energy and extra time to spend with his brother Caelis--the one who did not make it through the Ras Croi during the last Beltain. In the muck, during the mornings, Branoc repeatedly tells Caelis that his failure is nothing to be ashamed of. Caelis will make it through the race the following year. Plenty of great warriors had to attempt the Ras Croi more than once. When he can manage it, Branoc takes Caelis on practice runs through the course, so that his brother is well trained by the next Beltain.

Branoc and Thrallan do detect that something has changed about their status among their clan members, though. The adults look at them differently, treat them differently. They're not yet regarded as adults, but there is a new found respect they've earned among their clansmen.

The gorge that Bec's Bridge crosses is now referred to as Stone Gorge. Thrallan is sometimes called "Stone", due to the circumstances under which he was found as a babe. The townsmen have started referring to the gorge as such in honor of Thrallan's last push to win the Ras Croi. He attempted it on the last lap, not the first, when he was the most fatigued, having hurt his ankle right at the outset of the race. Thrallan's attempt is the embodiment of the Cimmerian ideal--to continue to push oneself in the face of certain defeat--to continue to try when all else is lost. Branoc was the better athlete and won the race, but Thrallan proved that he had the heart to go the distance. It didn't matter that he did not win. The respect he has gained from his clansmen is due to the fact that he never stopped trying.

Bec is an older warrior now among the Foxmen. He was the first to win the Ras Croi not quite two decades ago. The old log that lies across the gorge is called "Bec's Bridge" to honor the first Ar Grais. Now, the rocky gorge that Bec's Bridge crosses is known as "Stone Gorge" to honor Thrallan and the ideals he displayed.

The boys are twelve years old, and they are starting to view girls as something other than poor and weak team members when games are played. Now that Branoc and Thrallan have become the newest Graiis, the two notice that many of the young girls in the clan are smiling at them more than what they used to.

NEW NPC's TO INTRODUCE

Brial, 11 years old. He's a sturdy kid, amazingly strong, and one of the biggest kids around the age of the PC's. His father was taken by the fever some years ago. His mother is a weaver. And, he has one adopted sister, Chani.

Brial is best friends with Dahkus, and the two of them will not let Caelis forget that the Clan Elder's son failed to complete the Ras Croi on the first try.

Caelis will be running against the two of them during the race on the next Beltain.

Olav, the Aesir trader that makes it through Seven Stones every year or so, pursused Brial's mother a couple of years ago. Still mourning for the loss of his father, nine-year-old Brial would have non of it. He would not see his mother defiled by one of Aesir blood.

That year, Olav had brough a bear to the Seven Stones Beltain. The night before the bear was to serve for the pleasure of the clansmen, Brial let the beast out of is pen. Olav went to recover it, but the bear turned on him, slapping him so hard the Aesir man's arm was crushed.

That is how Olav lost his arm. And, the last time Olav came to Seven Stones was the last Beltain, when he delivered the old Vanir man with no tongue.

Chani, 11 years old, is Brial's step sister. Her family were Grath goat herders living at a homestead in the Eiglophian Mountains. The Vanir came and destroyed the entire family. Young Chani was hidden in a pot and placed in the cooking pit. She was found by Brial's father after surviving close to a week by herself as an infant. She has been raised as Brial's sister, and she, too, suffered when her adopted da fell to the fever.

Dahkus, 11 years old, is a dark kid. Some say he's a bad influence for his friend, Brial, but the two are inseperable. Dahkus suffers some shame because is father, one of the rare Cimmerian farmers, never succeeded in completing the Ras Croi (after two attempts). His father isn't a warrior, but Dahkus is determined to be.

Dahkus resents the Dunchors and all they have. Naturally, he views Branoc, Thrallan, and Caelis as rivals, and this embitterment sometimes wears off on Brial, coloring his view of the Dunchor brothers.

Dahkus is determined to win the upcoming Ras Croi at the next Beltain (although Brial is a better athlete).

Girdra, 11 years old, is becoming a grade "A" flirt. Most think her the most attractive girl in her age group in the entire Clan, and Girdra knows this. She learning that she can get what she wants by smiling and laughing and

(This Post - Work In Progress)

I. Twenty Questions.

II. Dead, tongueless man.

III. Back To Normal.
- In the Muck.
- Brial and Dahkus tease Caelis.
- Branoc shepherds Caelis.

IV. Graiis Slave Labor
- Fix Roof.
- Help Butcher.
- Chop Firewood with strange request.

- Respect from fellow Clansmen.
- Stone Gorge.
- Looks from girls.
- Branoc works with Caelis on the Ras Croi.

V. Drachena's Spears
- Twirl it for reach.
- Slam it into a tree for a step.
- Use it as a walking stick.
- Carry two. Throw one. Fight with the other.
- Use it for hunting, or for war. A sword is only for war.
- If a good, quality head, use it to jump or vault.
- A marker for scouts.

- Ean, watching the Graiis on their first day of weapons training, steps in and beats the hell out of the target dummy with his sword. "A spear is no match for a good yard of steel."

- Drachena: "But a spear will kill just as quickly. Dead is what you need. Obliteration is not required."

- Ean: "Always carry more than one weapon." Versatility.

- Drachena: "Find that which highlights your strengths. Find that with which you are comfortable."

- Ean: "Part of being a man is taking care of yourself, your family, and your clan. Obtaining a good quality weapon is one of the first challenges of manhood."

VI. In the mean time.
- Craft weapons?
- What is Caelis doing with his time?

VII. Lughnasa
- Girdra
- Chani

VIII. One Year Later. The Beltain. Age 13.
- Caelis' Ras Croi.
- He runs against Brial and Dahkus.

IX. Combat.
- Combat round parts.
- Initiative.
- Delay.
- Attack Roll.
- Flat Footed.
- Dodge and Parry Defense Roll.
- DR 5 vs. Finess, AP, and Damage.

X. On the Board.
- Attacks of Opportunity = Free Attacks.
- Usually only 1 AoO per round.
- Circle step.
- Flanking.
- Two Weapon Fighting.
- Aid Another.
- Dance Aside.
- Feint.
- Use The Battlefield.
- Mock battles.

-- TWENTY QUESTIONS --

I devised this as a fun way to learn our elaborate campaign history and to provide the players with Fate Points. I want them to have an abundant number of Fate Points because the players are new to the Conan RPG. We've been using Fate Points during the sessions where the characters are pre-1st level. And, my method of Testing Fate eats up more FPs than does the vanilla game when a player wants to draw upon Fate to help his character.

I'd rather err on the side of too many Fate Points rather than too few, especially at the lower levels.

Players can earn FPs for their characters through playing Twenty Questions in a number of ways. For every five correct answers a player gives, his character will receive one Fate Point. There are five bonus questions in the mix, and if a player answers a bonus question correctly, his character earns a Fate Point for that one question. And, there is a final bonus question. Once all questions are answered, the player who has answered the most questions gains a bonus Fate Point for his character. All told, there are a possible 11 Fate Points to be awarded in this game: 5 points for the Twenty Questions; 5 bonus questions; 1 final bonus question; and 1 point bonus to the player who answers the most questions.

To begin the game, each player will throw a d20. Higher throw gets the first turn, and we will proceed clockwise around the table from that person. During a player's turn, he rolls a d20. The result shows the number of the question put to him. If he can not answer or answers incorrectly, we move on to the next person, who throws a d20 for another question. If the question has already been answered, then that player is skipped--luck plays a part in this game. Some players may be asked more questions than other players due to the luck of the die.

Questions 1, 6, 10, and 16 are the easiest questions to answer. Questions 5, 10, 15, and 20 are the hardest questions to answer. The other questions are all about the same difficulty.

The bonus questions are the hardest in the game.

TWENTY QUESTIONS
-------------------------

1. Describe Drachena physically.
2. What is the name of your clan in the Cimmerian tongue?
3. How many brothers does your father have? (Bonus Question)
4. Your father adopted two children. Who?
5. What weapon does your father favor?

6. What is the name of your clan in English?
7. What kind of mixed blood does your family carry in its veins? (Bonus Question)
8. Your clan was founded by members of what other clan?
9. What type of weapon is most favored by Cimmerians?
10. What is your mother's name?

11. What is the name of the town you live in?
12. What is your family name? (Bonus Question)
13. How did Hrathnar come to live among you?
14. Why does Drachena hate the Vanir so much?
15. What is the name of Caelis' dead twin?

16. What is your father's name? (Bonus Question)
17. How long ago was your clan founded?
18. Who raised you?
19. What are the Seven Standing Stones called in Cimmerian?
20. What is your granmother's name?

Bonus Questions:
3. Name your father's brothers.
7. How did your Cimmerian blood become mixed?
12. Where did your family name come from?
16. What is your grandfather's name?

Final Bonus Question: What is the name of this campaign?

-- Initial NPC Attitude --

Because, sometimes its fun to see what the dice tell you about an NPC. Use modifiers or change the DC's if appropriate to fit the situation.

Initial NPC Attitude = d20 + Diplomacy

0+ Hostile
5+ Unfriendly
10+ Indifferent
15+ Friendly
20+ Helpful

For example, young Thrallan has his eye on the lovely Girdra. How does Girdra feel about Thrallan?

Thrallan gets a +1 for his CHR, and we'll give him a +2 circumstance bonus because he just finished the Ras Croi and is a member of the Grais now. But, Girdra's family doesn't like the Duncohrs. Apply a -1 circumstance penalty for that. Roll d20 +2 and check the total on the chart to determine Girdra's initial reaction to Thrallan.

Thrallan's player can then use the Diplomacy rules to attempt to change her attitude, if he wishes.

If the GM doesn't pick the initial attitude of the NPC, then a chart like the above can be easily constructed specifically for the situation.

Or, if a purely random (weighted, though) result is desired, consider something like this:

Roll 2d6
-----------

2-3 Hostile
4-5 Unfriendly
6-7-8 Indifferent
9-10 Friendly
11-12 Helpful

I do like the 20 questions idea. Gives players who tend to be 'roll players' a reason to invest more of the world in their characters. A 'bribe' if you will. :lol:

tarkhan bey said:
I do like the 20 questions idea. Gives players who tend to be 'roll players' a reason to invest more of the world in their characters. A 'bribe' if you will. :lol:

I considered that Fate Points are awarded for heroic actions and completing story goals. Learning the background well is a story goal. Fate Points are like gold in the game, so why not award a few for players who are paying attention.

I'm not sure I'd do this with seasoned Conan players. Or, I might do it, but not allow so many to be had. But, with new players learning the game, I'm happy to give them too many Fate Points, if they earn them with Twenty Questions. They'll need them as they get a feel for the deadliness in this game.

We'll see how they work. My game starts in 51/2 hours.

Alright, the game was, again, pretty engrossing. We all had a great time (and what we're really doing is just building characters).

I was able to get through the Outline above pretty much as its laid out.

Twenty Questions went over real good. One player received 5 Fate Points. Another received none (having only gotten two questions correct). This seems to have put a friendly little social pressure on him to read his e-mail. It's not like I've sent out a book every day, and the other players have have managed to keep up and know the background to the game to my satisfaction.

I'm not sure if I'll do it again, but it was a successful experiment.

None of the PCs bit on the NPC female attraction, so there was no "sex among the 12 and 13 year olds." Two of the male NPCs--Brial and Dahkus--who ran the Ras Croi with Cael, really shined tonight. I ran Brial and I allowed one of the players to run Dahkus as the player's character was "off camera" during the time we ran the Ras Croi.

Dahkus won!

Brial, who has some incredible stats (especially for the way I rolled him up with just 3d6 and no adjusting for taste or GM caveat point movement), was favored to win, but he attempted the jump across Stone Gorge on the first lap...and didn't make it. He didn't make his save, either. He fell, out of the race. He'll have to try again next year.

Caelis, this time, did real well. He finished the race, coming in second. There was one hairy moment, though, when, again, he couldn't climb up Crom's Ankle. That's where he collapsed the first time he ran the race, the previous game year. It was going to be some BIG IRONY if he had failed in the exact same spot.

It was like a movie--like the training yelling at Rocky telling him to "Get Up! Get Up!" I pictured it all slow motion in my mind. Branoc was right next to Caelis yelling him to never quit. Don't give up. You can make it. Get your arse up that rise!

Caelis did it. It took him some time, but he did it.

Both of them were exhausted and near flopping around on the ground--the way you see some marathon runners do--as they finished the race. Foaming at the mouth. Puking their guts up. Dry heaving. Sucking in air and never getting enough.

It was a fine race.

I plan on having two more of these "pre-1st level" sessions. Over those two sessions, the characters will be graduated to age 15, and it will be time for them to go on their deasghnath--the final test of manhood where the PCs will go out alone into the wilderness and bring back a kill.

For that, I plan on playing with each player individually--and have something different up my sleeve for each of them.

Nialldubh said:
I think it a good story foundation and should make the PC work better as a group :) I hope :lol:

I think so. I've got one player talking about his character getting an elaborate tattoo once he becomes a "warrior".

This long gestation time and slowly learning about the characters is working out well, too. It's allowing my players, unfamiliar with d20 or the Conan RPG, to get a grasp on it. There really is a lot to consider with this game--especially if you want to consider all the ways a character can be built.

Spears - a scene from last night's game.

Spears

The first day of weapons training. The boys in the Graiis have waited for this. They've been waiting for over six moons after finishing the Ras Croi.

Caelis, one of the PCs, didn't complete the Ras Croi with the other PCs, so he's a step behind (a year behind). But, his player keeps the character tagging along with his brothers. He's basically in the Graiis but not officially.

Various members of the clan have been teaching the Graiis. Clansmen teach what they know, like going to the best person to learn each topic. Drachena begins their first day of warrior training. Ean, the Clan War Chief, comes over to watch the boys on their first day.

Drachena shoos Caelis away. The player had the character leave, but then has him climb up a tree to watch what his brothers are doing.

Drachena walks out in front of the boys with two spears in her hands, a tall war spear, and a shorter hunting spear. "You always, always carry more than one weapon," she begins. "Always."

She hefted the hunting spear like she was testing it's weight and balance, then, in a flash, she throws it with all her might at the wooden training dummy. "It can be a long distance weapon," she says, "with it, you can hunt and feed yourself, and you can use it for war. With a sword, you can only use it for war."

With the war spear, the grips it close to the base of the shaft with both hands then swings it about herself in a circle. "See the reach? With a long weapon, you can attack out to about ten paces."

She stops the twirling, then runs to the hunting spear in the side of the training dummy, using her foot to step on the spear head like a step. "With a good quality weapon, you can lodge your spear in the tree or a fence. It will help you climb, jump, or see over obstacles."

Pulling the hunting spear from the dummy, she walks calmly, using the stick to balance, acting as if she were on uneven terrain. "Your spear can be your walking stick." Pulling the head of the spear around so that the boys in the Graiis can get a good look at it, and if your weapon is made to be used thus, you can..., " she runs a distance, shoves the spear into the ground, and uses it to vault over the training dummy, "....use it to leap over small obstacles."

Shoving the spear into the ground in front of her, she then pulls a strip of cloth from her pouch, tying it around the end of the spear so that the spear stands like a flag pole, the cloth serving as its flag. "You can use it as a signal if you are Scout and your clansmen are following up behind."

At this point, a voice came down from above them. It was Caelis, in the tree. "Why not just tie the cloth onto a tree or bush?"

Draechena looks sternly at Caelis, but shakes her head. "Yes, you can do that, too."

A laugh from the edge of the ground is deep, from a large chest. It's Ean, watching the introduction to spears, laughing at Caelis' remark. "Caelis, no more out of you, now."

Ean pulls out his big two-handed war sword and calmly walks over to the training dummy. Then, he proceeds to bash the hell out of it, destroying the wooden and straw thing.

"Cimmerians used to favor the spear," he turns to the Graiis, holding the sword up for all to see. His eyes glitter like he's looking at gold. "But, your countrymen have the secret of steel, and the sword...the SWORD is a man's weapon. And a spear? A spear is no match for a good yard of steel."

There is a thump, thump, swish, and a knock behind him. Drachena has run to the training dummy--to what's left of it--and rammed the war spear deep into a big section of wood, sliding it across the ground a by a pace or so.

"You don't need to obliterate your opponent's body, " she says, "You only need to down him. Killing can be can be done with as much as one puncture."

She pulls her war spear from the dummy. "Regardless, you must train with many types of weapons. You never know what you'll have at hand, or what you'll be able to obtain on short notice. Sometimes it may be the jagged edge of a clay pot or the leg off a table or chair. You fight with your hands if you have to, but always employ a weapon if you can and gain that edge that will make you victorious over your enemies."

Ean agrees, "Yes. She speaks true. Find that weapon that compliments your skills...that highlights your abilities. Find that one with which you are comfortable." He smiles at the young boys, raising his eyebrows, "Then find a few more in case you drop that one, eh?"

The boys in the Graiis laugh.

"Part of being a man, " Ean continues, "is taking care of yourself, your family, and your clan. Obtaining a good quality weapon is one of the first challenges of manhood."

Drachena adds, "I tell you this now, because you've got two full seasons to find and obtain the right weapon for yourself. Create a weapon, if you have the skill. Trade for one. Ask a favor of one. Or, pick up a stick and use it as a club until you can find a way to get yourself a better weapon."

Nialldubh said:
Good story S4, alot of old Celtic influence, the Women Trained the young males and greatly enjoyed the maney ideas for spear work, should add a good bonus to jump check, I would suppose and for climbing up trees, nice 1.

Thanks man. The players really enjoyed playing that scene last night. It went over well.

Must say you present the story really well, I think I truly felt like I was there watching the martial show, but I still not sure if Cimmerian know how to laugh as a Culture, I can only see them as stern, humourless forces of nature, towering over their enemies with the will only to tear them apart :)

I think Cimmerians are human, and all humans have a tendency to laugh sometimes. Cimmerian may indeed seem to be gruff, stern, mean forces of nature to those who see them from the outside. But, I think, among themselves, they laugh and kid and joke, just like every other human who has ever lived.

They might not do it as often as some, but I think that they do act that way at times.

I know that they are often portrayed in a quasi-celtic fashion, but I have always maintained that Howard input a touch of the Lowland Covenanter Scots into the Cimmerians.
Dour, solemn, joyless. No alcohol, singing or dancing. I rest my case. :lol:

-- THE GRATH --

CAMPAIGN BULLET POINT I

The Grath are one of the largest and oldest Cimmerian clans. These people inhabit the Grath Vales, a series of steep, wooded valleys in the central foothills of the Eiglophian mountains. While most Cimmerian clans are centralized on one or a few towns, a unique feature of this clan is that it is composed of several small, insular settlements spread throughout the clan's territory. Each village is made up of one-to-two, almost never three, families. There are about twenty villages in all. One of the largest Grath settlements has only eight buildings.

The Grath are extremely progressive when compared to most other Cimmerian clans. They have embraced agriculture, graduating from the usual hunter/gatherer culture. Many of the Grath clansmen are farmers, mountain goat herders, or shepherds. The Grath are known for their cloth, a major item of trade with other Cimmerian clans and the Aesir of the Eiglophian north face.

Other popular professions among the Grath are stream fisherman, mountain hunter, and river miner. The Diamondrun River runs the length of Grath territory, branching into the many valleys that are the Grath Vales. This mountain river is the clan's primary source of water, food, and wealth. The miners steal quality iron-ore, and other minerals and precious metals and gems, from the crust of their mountain home. It is said that Crom uses the mountain beneath the Grath to store his wealth, and the Grath take what they can without his notice. When the mountain shakes, though, the Grath know that Crom is looking their way.

Grathmuir is the only three-family settlement on the Diamondrun, and it is here that a young Grath clansman became the clan's first master weaponsmith within memory.

This smith was a member of the Duncohr family.

He was your great-grandfather.

Back