Upcoming Releases

The King

Cosmic Mongoose
Could it be possible to have one or two words of explanation when a sheduled release is announced, if it is about a sourcebook or a scenario (and then for which level) in order to give us an idea of what to expect?

Heretics of Tarantia could be an adventure as well as a religion sourcebook.

Aug 2005
Tower of the Elephant

Sep 2005
Heretics of Tarantia

thanks.

Not to mention that both releases were not even suggested previously (AFAIK). Having that in mind, I would guess they are scenarios (anything bigger would be visible from far far away ;) ) or something similar.

The King said:
René said:
But where is Shadow of the Sorcerer gone to? :cry:
It is postponed until September.

I think, at best until October - at least according to the schedule on this homepage. But who knows, Hyboria's Fiercest came earlier than expected.

Jason Durall, the author of the shadow of the sorcerer explained that he couldn't meet the deadline because of health problem.
It wouldn't be commercially wise to release such a big box in summer, therefore I guess it will come up in September (but it also could be October).

Yeah, I suspect that they're all scenario books.

If you search you'll also find another adventure called Dark Bordello slated for November.

Both Tower of the Elephant and Heretics of Tarantia are scenarios. And quite good ones too, if you're willing to take the author's word for it. :)

GregLynch said:
Both Tower of the Elephant and Heretics of Tarantia are scenarios. And quite good ones too, if you're willing to take the author's word for it. :)

cool!!! :D
so...what levels are the scenarios for? :)

GregLynch said:
Thus I guess you are the author.
Could you please give us some hints as to the page count and the approximative level required?
Thanks.
I hope they fit in the Shadizar box.

pdf would be a fine thing: I don't want to complain, but Tales of the Black Kingdoms has a heavy Page / Price ratio (that's why I haven't bought it yet - waiting until amazon marketplace will offer it at lower price), maybe pdfs would be cheaper.

There's now info on the TotE on the Conan section: it is announced as softcover of 32p. for 10$. Hopefully there will be a pdf, too.

Great! And comparatively it is less expensive than a 16-pages pdf.
Thanks anyway for the info.

As for the Tower... well, I know I'm not going to run this kind of scenarios. First of all - some of my players know the stories. Besides, it requires creating an alternative setting, where Conan didn't do this or that. I'd prefer a scenario based on the consequences of Conan's deeds - returning to Xuthal, Olgerd Vladislaw's revenge, or something like that. I have already tried this with 'The Black Stranger / Treasure of Tranicos' and it was fun to see my players struggle in a familiar setting for an already plundered treasure (I assumed that Conan took it eventually - cruel, yes, but still fun for both sides :) ).

Can't help but agree with you there. Still, Heretics of Tarantia holds promise. I doubt it will be a scenario depicting the party instead of Conan, claiming the throne. I'm guessing it will have something to do with the situation in the capital during the Hour of the Dragon. Sounds promising. I've heard nothing about the other planned adventure, Black Bordello. Where was this mentioned? Sounds like ot could be a Black Kingdoms adventure, perhaps?

Zeus said:
As for the Tower... well, I know I'm not going to run this kind of scenarios. First of all - some of my players know the stories. Besides, it requires creating an alternative setting, where Conan didn't do this or that. I'd prefer a scenario based on the consequences of Conan's deeds - returning to Xuthal, Olgerd Vladislaw's revenge, or something like that. I have already tried this with 'The Black Stranger / Treasure of Tranicos' and it was fun to see my players struggle in a familiar setting for an already plundered treasure (I assumed that Conan took it eventually - cruel, yes, but still fun for both sides :) ).

I understand your concern about adventures "altering" the Conan timeline, but I wouldn't assume that the Tower stories would have to alter them. I ran PCs through Zamboula, through the same temple that Conan went through, with many similar features, but it occurred before/after Conan's events there, so no big deal. Is there a description of the Tower stories that would suggest "altering" the Conan timeline by PC involvement? If not, then it well could be designed as (1) events in the Tower while the master is away, (2) events in a subsequent Tower by another mage who had spied on the master, learned how to make it (even acquiring another alien, etc.), (3) or a myriad other options. And even if the adventure isn't so designed, you could readily modify it in such a fashion, and get plenty of use out of it.

slaughterj said:
Zeus said:
I understand your concern about adventures "altering" the Conan timeline, but I wouldn't assume that the Tower stories would have to alter them. I ran PCs through Zamboula, through the same temple that Conan went through, with many similar features, but it occurred before/after Conan's events there, so no big deal. Is there a description of the Tower stories that would suggest "altering" the Conan timeline by PC involvement? If not, then it well could be designed as (1) events in the Tower while the master is away, (2) events in a subsequent Tower by another mage who had spied on the master, learned how to make it (even acquiring another alien, etc.), (3) or a myriad other options. And even if the adventure isn't so designed, you could readily modify it in such a fashion, and get plenty of use out of it.
I've done the same thing with my group in Zamboula, they didn't get to kill Aram Baksh and didn't go to the temple, but I put them in the inn for other reasons and had them escape. Now even 2 years later (in game) they still want Baksh dead. I also adapted an altered story ("The Bloodstained God"). In both cases, half of my group were familiar with the source material (ala the Ace/Lancer paperbacks of the '70s), but I'd altered them enough so that they didn't know exactly what was going on until they were well into the adventure, and I'd changed it enough so that they weren't just "doing what Conan did." My group's adventures take place roughly 3 or 4 years before Conan goes to these players (using the calendar in the Road of Kings sourcebook :) ).

That's the inherent risk in any game based on well known material. Who wants to play Star Wars when we already know Luke, Leia, Han & such are the heroes, why play Middle Earth when we know Aragorn, Frodo, Gimli and Legolas are the heroes, etc.? Because we're adapting the world to our group's needs, making it fit them into the worlds, not merely playing second string to static literary characters.

I guess I'd assume that's what will happen with the Tower of the Elephant. I probably won't buy it initially either, but will most likely read other peoples' reactions to it on this board first. Anyways, hope this helps.

Bregales said:
That's the inherent risk in any game based on well known material. Who wants to play Star Wars when we already know Luke, Leia, Han & such are the heroes, why play Middle Earth when we know Aragorn, Frodo, Gimli and Legolas are the heroes, etc.? Because we're adapting the world to our group's needs, making it fit them into the worlds, not merely playing second string to static literary characters.

I guess I'd assume that's what will happen with the Tower of the Elephant. I probably won't buy it initially either, but will most likely read other peoples' reactions to it on this board first. Anyways, hope this helps.
I don't have any problem with that. I just use the known setting as a base for adventures. The heroes may or may not appear or even exist.
There is no copyright in using a setting so one can really do what we want.

Back