Uh... missing something are we?

Spartan159

Banded Mongoose
Namely, the rules for jump control software for Jump 7 to 9. The answer is obvious to me given that the examples for Jump 1-6 and Hop/Skip are linear. But official confirmation from on high would be nice.

Looks like a gap in the layout, since none of the Core rulebook software (including Jump Control/1-6) is repeated in High Guard. In the Exotic section Hop and Skip are fully covered, as you said, linearly, so I think it's safe to assume Jump7-9 follow the same pattern as 1-6. The other types of exotic drives don't seem to require software at all...

Since Mongoose takes a lot if inspiration from Star Wars for its iteration of the Third Imperium I would think there would be a requirement for hyperdrive software to plot the course through hyperspace - it's not like dusting crops you know :)

Mind you I thought all you had to do was replace jump with hyperspace in the software names and you are good to go.

If something follows a certain formular then why not give this formular in addition to a corresponding table?

I haven't delved into the extrapolated TL16+ design mechanics but how is the TL9 jump drive even viable as the drive requires 22.5% hull volume and the fuel seems to still require 90% of the hull volume?

Drop tanks, of course, are a one-shot possibility I suppose.

I haven't delved into the extrapolated TL16+ design mechanics but how is the TL9 jump drive even viable as the drive requires 22.5% hull volume and the fuel seems to still require 90% of the hull volume?

High tech allows reduced fuel also.

Jump fuel requirements have bugged me for years. I'm experimenting with 7% per Jn instead of 10%. Yes yes, heretical double-jumping rift crossing etc. etc.

While I'm on the subject I suspect the fuel rates for fusion power plants is off too.

Eh, >shrug< :p

Another "exotic technology" - Collectors. No fuel required for jump.
By TL17, Hop-1 drive is a much better option than a Jump-8 drive. A viable Jump-7 ship is unlikely at TL16, since you can't take advantage of, um Advantages, like fuel reduction. More like a 'current day' Single Stage to Orbit design: All engine and propellant and a tiny little payload.

Another "exotic technology" - Collectors. No fuel required for jump.
By TL17, Hop-1 drive is a much better option than a Jump-8 drive. A viable Jump-7 ship is unlikely at TL16, since you can't take advantage of, um Advantages, like fuel reduction. More like a 'current day' Single Stage to Orbit design: All engine and propellant and a tiny little payload.
I think I've seen somewhere that some planets/empires/people don't always develop a particular technology, if Hop was not available then they would be stuck with permutations of jump drive. Much like we don't have gravitic drives yet. I'd rather use Hop drive to be sure, but just keeping tabs on the requirements for a given system. Dadnabit, where's my time drive? :D

In theory, current options in High Guard could leave your starship an island of self sufficiency, if you had the three dee printers to manufacture spare parts.

Back