Turan and Hyrkania

Seeker

Mongoose
Hi,

Just reading a book called "Wolf of the Plains" by Conn Iggulden. Its a novel about Genghis Khan, set on the Steppes , full of epic battles and very much in a Howardian adventure mold.

Its fired me up for running an adventure in Hyrkania called "Riders of the East". The PCs, serving in the Turanian army, are sent to investigate rumours of a new warlord arisen among the nomads and a threat to Secunderam. They must then embark on a desperate quest to a ruined green stone city to stop the warlord, before he gains a magical weapon which levels cities.............

You MUST MUST MUST please produce a Conan sourcebook asap on Turan and Hyrkania, written by Vincent D. of course. This will help me flesh out the adventure. Please include the excellent info written for S+P by Stephan S.

This has to be the next sourcebook. Please.............

Seeker,

Glad you like my stuff! Just an issue or two ago S&P also published a really good article by Vincent about Hyrkanian nomads. You should check it out.

If you haven't already, read "Conan the Marauder" by John Maddox Roberts. It follows several elements of your campaign in the making, and has tons of juicy bits about Hyrkanian life, magic and warfare. Plus its one of the best pastiche Conan novels.

Stefen

I think that its a homebrew that he has named himself. It sounds cool though. I have been thinking about those books by Conn Iggulden as they are currently 3 for 2 in Waterstones.

Turan and its expansionist policy is my favourite setting in the whole of the Hyborian age.
I love the whole Ottoman/Seljuk feel to the Turanians. I think that the Mongol/Tatar horde thing works well for their Hyrkanian cousins.
I recently read a book by CC Humphreys called Vlad-The Last Confession. I am sure that you can guess the subject matter. It seems that Turan's mighty archer elites may be based on the Solaks(Archers of the Guard). A left handed archer and a right handed archer accompanied the Sultan at all times. They were to kill any who approached without the Sultans leave and never missed. :shock:
Not sure if thats completely historically accurate.

Tarkan Bey (great name) is correct. I blushingly admit I am writing it myself. When it gets presentable, i'll post it on the boards.

Sgstyrsky, thanks, I'll have a look at Marauder and that article.

I'm also drawing on a story called the Flamebringer by Moorcock and an old chestnut called Thongor against the Gods. Maybe Harold Lambs Stepe novels too.

Thanks for comments, guys. Looks like there IS support for a Turan/Hyrkania supplement.

With the amount of stories and characters from this area I also hope to soon see this area given a sourcebook. For years many have stated their suprise at the lack of one so I know Im not alone in thinking this.
Just hope I dont have to wait through the "Borderers/ Temptresses/ Nomads Handbooks" before I see it.

Jeffreywns said:
With the amount of stories and characters from this area I also hope to soon see this area given a sourcebook. For years many have stated their suprise at the lack of one so I know Im not alone in thinking this.

Maybe this is the Secret Project Vincent D. is working on...

I thought that was the Pathenia book?
Which by the way should be included! Good to know Vince has something in the works.

Ha... I've been waiting for that Turan/Hyrkania sourcebook for more than six years now. Maybe it will get printed before I die old...

Hervé said:
Ha... I've been waiting for that Turan/Hyrkania sourcebook for more than six years now. Maybe it will get printed before I die old...

Who wouldnt want a big book about the Hyborian equivalent of the Turkish Empire and the Mongol hordes? Im all about it.

Honestly? The Hyborian countries bore me to death. I wouldnt mind more stuff about Vendhya and the Black Kingdoms. They fascinate me. Or alot of the smaller countries like how does the Yajur cult figure into Kosalan culture?

Really, its more interesting to me than a bunch of variations of european countries. Though I would mind seeing some stuff on Nordheim and Hyperborea. ...

I really agree with you. The fascinating side of the Hyborian world lies in its deep jungles, burning deserts and forgotten ruined temples. The hyborian kingdoms themselves look just a bit too much like your average fantasy world: just plain dull...

Hervé said:
I really agree with you. The fascinating side of the Hyborian world lies in its deep jungles, burning deserts and forgotten ruined temples. The hyborian kingdoms themselves look just a bit too much like your average fantasy world: just plain dull...

Yeah, myself and I think my players are pretty glad to be in the Westermarck now. After they finish defending the west they'll be in the Western Ocean buccaneering it up for a few adventures. But for all intents and purposes, after visiting Corinthia, Nemedia, Ophir, and Aquilonia, they're done with the Hyborian kingdoms for all intents and purposes. Well, there will likely be an adventure in Messantia, but other then that. ;-)

With my group containing a Stygian scholar, they find it easier to throw their weight around in non Hyborian nations.
That also goes for the two barbarians and the nomad. 90% of my adventures have taken place in them. They have "furniture" in Messantia but had to leave because of rumors of spell use. Which are true but used in the defense of the kingdom (Golden Skull adventure).
Currently they are adventuring in Nordheim.

Yeah, a sourecbook would be nice and I agree Conan deserves the exotic feel. I'm running Trial and Betrayer at the moment, using the moduals and mixing them together. Have now decided to have PC's head to Turan on way to find Mimir who I am placing in the mountains beyond Hyrkania. I'm using Al-Quadim 2nd ed d&d source material for Turan, taking out the fantasy elements, RTROK and Felt walls with Horde from 2nd ed d&d for Hyrkania. The Orb is going to be in a ruin on the Vilyet Sea on a jungle island with Picts for Natives. Areal mix but it should be interesting.

I managed to get a copy of Conan the Marauder from Amazon. Its a good read too. Thanks sgstyrsky

Speaking of Hyrkanians and eastern peoples, I'm trying to get the history of Lemuria, Khitai and Hyrkania clear in my head.

From what I understand, when Lemuria sank, the surviviors (a saffron sinked race) came ashore and were enslaved by the Khari (a dusky skinned race). The Lemurians overthrow the Khari and the Khari travel west to become the Stygians.

What happened then in the east? Did the Lemurians stay in Khitai to become the ancestors of the Khitaians ? Did some of them travel west building green stone cities ? Did other Lemurians travel west to become Hykanians and later Turanians ?

There seems to be conflicting info. What are your opinions on this ? Vincent or Lawrence maybe please?

Here's another couple of sources of inspiration for Hyrkanian or Kozaki adventures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaporizhia_(region)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taras_Bulba_(1962_film)

Seeker said:
Speaking of Hyrkanians and eastern peoples, I'm trying to get the history of Lemuria, Khitai and Hyrkania clear in my head.

From what I understand, when Lemuria sank, the surviviors (a saffron sinked race) came ashore and were enslaved by the Khari (a dusky skinned race). The Lemurians overthrow the Khari and the Khari travel west to become the Stygians.

What happened then in the east? Did the Lemurians stay in Khitai to become the ancestors of the Khitaians ? Did some of them travel west building green stone cities ? Did other Lemurians travel west to become Hykanians and later Turanians ?

There seems to be conflicting info. What are your opinions on this ? Vincent or Lawrence maybe please?

Any ideas anybody ???

I tend to think myself that Hyrkanians are descendants from the Lemurians, but I may be wrong and indeed Vincent or Loz are probably more knowledgeable than I am on this matter...

If only we had that Turan/hyrkania sourcebook... :roll:

This is from Howard's essay:

Now the Lemurians enter history again as Hyrkanians. Through the
centuries they have pushed steadily westward, and now a tribe skirts the
southern end of the great inland sea—Vilayet—and establishes the kingdom
of Turan on the southwestern shore. Between the inland sea and the
eastern borders of the native kingdoms lie vast expanses of steppes and
in the extreme north and extreme south, deserts. The non-Hyrkanian
dwellers of these territories are scattered and pastoral, unclassified in the
north, Shemitish in the south, aboriginal, with a thin strain of Hyborian
blood from wandering conquerors. Toward the latter part of the period
other Hyrkanian clans push westward, around the northern extremity of
the inland sea, and clash with the eastern outposts of the Hyperboreans.

Back