Treason Free Speech Limiter (Now Available!)

xombie

Mongoose
I've been reading Stuff and just read the entry for the Treason Free Speech Limiter. I really think using one of these in game could be a blast, but I don't know if I'd subject a player to the difficulty of trying to form his sentences and roleplay the way it would sound.

Then I got to thinking about how simple it would probably be to record all 100 words using a type to speech program like Speakonia, and then setting up a simple web-based program for a player to utilize when he's stuck wearing one of these items.

Even if I can't manage to pull it off, I have plenty of friends who could do it in a short while, and I have the programs to do it. Would the creator of said item Ben Engelsberg, and Mongoose have any objection to me making and hosting such a resource. Either that or making it as a simple program and perhaps making that available to the Paranoia crowd.

Any information would be cool, since Allen Varney seems to frequent these forums I figured I could just post this here and see what the verdict is.

I'm going to look into making this for myself anyways, but I wouldn't want to upset anyone by providing such a resource (which would basically give away the basic functions of the item) without proper consent.

Would the creator of said item Ben Engelsberg, and Mongoose have any objection to me making and hosting such a resource. Either that or making it as a simple program and perhaps making that available to the Paranoia crowd.
Sounds like a terrific idea, Xombie! Ben Engelsberg has vanished from IntSec surveillance and is currently whereabouts-unknown, but I shall speak by proxy for him and say go, go, go!

When you've made your program available, let us know here and I'll post a link on the PARANOIA development blog.

Allen Varney said:
Would the creator of said item Ben Engelsberg, and Mongoose have any objection to me making and hosting such a resource. Either that or making it as a simple program and perhaps making that available to the Paranoia crowd.
Sounds like a terrific idea, Xombie! Ben Engelsberg has vanished from IntSec surveillance and is currently whereabouts-unknown, but I shall speak by proxy for him and say go, go, go!

When you've made your program available, let us know here and I'll post a link on the PARANOIA development blog.
Sweet! Gotta talk to a friend about a few things, basically how to make it easiest to use, and I'll get to it.

My first instinct is to do this through Flash, that way I can make the whole thing look like a "control unit" display.

Update #1:
Well, I got the word list layed out and now I'm working on making all the wavs. Some conversion and tedious button creation and presto. Soon we'll have it done.

Update #2:
Sound files finished, now for the tedious button making. Yay! The computer is my friend, happy am I to work on this project.

Well, it's done, didn't take as long as I'd anticipated. I hope to have it online soon and available for download. Now I need another project to work on. Anyone have any ideas to challenge me as I'm learning Flash?

what about a 'smarter' treason speech limiter where the user can can type a string and it will play the audio files in sucession?

spiritolst said:
what about a 'smarter' treason speech limiter where the user can can type a string and it will play the audio files in sucession?

Actually I kind of like that, although I think it would lose some of it's impact. I've toyed around with it a bit and I can see how funny it will be to subject a PC to using it. I'm gonna test run it this weekend, and hope to have it hosted sometime this week.

darth_azabrush said:
Xombie you're a genius! And thats coming from a classicist with an IQ of 130!
Thanks, it's painful to be so smart. :D

Well, one dead fridge and a lot of ruined food have put on hold my hopes of picking up some sweet webspace and starting my own little site for hosting things such as this.

Thanks, xombie! Unfortunately, I got a "yahoofs.com cannot be found" error.

.RAR is perhaps suboptimal for the greater PARANOIA audience; might a .ZIP archive be possible?

If I can find someone else to host this for you, would that be okay?

That would be completely fine. It's not all that big really. I just .rar filed it because I've got a little notepad with some basic info.

It's weird that it didn't work because I tested it out. Hm.

It seems every time I log off of my briefcase the link to the file changes. Hence the difficulty.

Anyhoo, yeah I switched it to a .zip file. I really don't know why I went with .rar in the first place other than I'm just used to it.

dunderm said:
I use a Mac, so the file is useless to me.

Any particular way to fix that, I'm not at all familiiar with Macs. Perhaps putting it up as a regular Flash file? Let me know.

Okay, bear with me I'm just learning flash. I've published it as a Mac projector and I've uploaded it to the website now. Someone with a Mac please let me know if that takes care of the problem.

I've also added a link that will launch the program within your browser.

Any feedback is more than welcome. :D

Am I supposed to see anything other than a black screen? Currently I don't.

Once this is up and hosted on a nice high-bandwidth site, this looks like it'll be a fun accessory for every STUFF customer!

Back