Travellers Needed - The Future of Traveller

Traveller already has a farther future setting which can do The Culture with a bit of tweaking.

Plus IMO the best Culture books are about not The Culture itself - which being truly post-scarcity is pretty much post-conflict - but the bleeding interface between it and lower TL cultures.

Speaking of which a low tech level sourcebook - or perhaps just a Traveller Companion focusing on low tech societies and dealing properly with the whole issue of how such a society stays low tech without full interdiction or being really. really isolated - would be nice.

Also would like to see a Companion or whatnot with d66 life and career events tables - which mostly already exist and can be ported over from 1st ed - as 2d is too few and gets implausibly repetitive.

And for the OTU would love to see a whole Interstellar Wars campaign.

RogerMc said:
Also would like to see a Companion or whatnot with d66 life and career events tables - which mostly already exist and can be ported over from 1st ed - as 2d is too few and gets implausibly repetitive.

Emphatic +1 for this. I’ve created my own based on the 1e books but it’d be really nice to see this as an official add-on or supplement.

An equivalent to the "Merchant Princes" from the Mongoose 1st edition would be great.

Trade can be an important part of a campaign and deserves to be more detailed than in the Core rule book.

LoTech would be an interesting experiment, since I suspect most of us will project our experiences on it; you could include the Great Patriotic War vehicles and weapons.

JNJ said:
An equivalent to the "Merchant Princes" from the Mongoose 1st edition would be great.

On the cards.

This will probably start as a Belters book, with the mechanics getting expanded out in a subsequent volume to handle business interests and empires.

MongooseMatt said:
JNJ said:

On the cards.

This will probably start as a Belters book, with the mechanics getting expanded out in a subsequent volume to handle business interests and empires.

Even better ! Very good idea.

How about a book on Space Law. And the how the Imperium enforces. And does the 3I care if you go around committing lots of crimes on different planets?

Sandbox cluster campaign/adventures.
Story arc which keeps travellers in a small number of worlds (mabe 6 or 7) for a while with side adventures etc relevent to different systems which the travellers are unsure if they feed into main arc or not. A good detailed plot to uncover.
They can really get to know the area - prominent nobles, local culture, but theres still unknown stuff in the outsystem and in the two backwater worlds which ae off thr main routes, and in the hippy archology, and in the radioactive ruins on the abandoned continent etc etc

I’ve always thought the Gateway Sector is really interesting, with a number of competing mid-sized interstellar states and the looming threat of the Two Thousand Worlds just over the galactic horizon. You could have all sorts of different campaign types in that area, even something on the scale of Pirates of Drinax.

A book focusing on trade and finance would be great (for my particular interests).

And perhaps a product with rules for managing large organisations/colonies/smaller state? Something along the lines of the old Pocket Empires book (maybe with less math) or the Pathfinder Kingmaker books? It would be a great companion to the endgame of Drinax or a nobles-based campaign. (One can dream.)

I’ll also just use the opportunity for a gentle reminder that an EU-based distribution option would be highly appreciated and probably encourage me to spend an irresponsible amount of money on direct purchases of all the books I haven’t been buying from you since a certain event in January 2020. >_>

AKjeldsen said:
I’ve always thought the Gateway Sector is really interesting, with a number of competing mid-sized interstellar states and the looming threat of the Two Thousand Worlds just over the galactic horizon. You could have all sorts of different campaign types in that area, even something on the scale of Pirates of Drinax.

Something on Gateway Sector could be in the pipeline.

AKjeldsen said:
I’ll also just use the opportunity for a gentle reminder that an EU-based distribution option would be highly appreciated and probably encourage me to spend an irresponsible amount of money on direct purchases of all the books I haven’t been buying from you since a certain event in January 2020. >_>

A quick note here - at the moment we are shipping EU orders from the US. It takes a few days more, but all VAT and charges are taken care of at that end. Should be a smooth service for you.

Condottiere said:
I hear there's a paper and cardboard shortage, and publishers are starting to prioritize publications.

Printing takes a little longer at the moment (usually, we have seen some lightning fast printing this year too) but, other than this, we have yet to be hit by anything nasty.

MartinP said:
Evil Aardvark said:
Whilst I'd love to be able to buy a full suite of tools on Roll20 or similar, I'd be completely happy with just a complete character/npc/ship/vehicle sheet. Both Roll20 and Foundry are already most of the way there. Roll20 has a sheet that's mostly complete, and Foundry has a "twodsix" sheet that's most of the way there, too.

Lurking Grue said:
3. An official support in Roll20 VTT. At the very least a new, professionally made character sheet would be great. Foundry already has a great fan-made character sheet and system support, but Roll20 is lagging far behind (and it is the VTT of choice of my group).

I seem to be the current maintainer of the MgT2e character sheet for Roll20. I admit, it's pretty clunky and needs a complete re-write, but until recently there hasn't been much point, so instead I've tried to focus on adding extra features. With the new engine changes that Roll20 have made in the last 6 months (some still in development), it's about the right time to be thinking about a whole new character sheet.

What sort of features do people want in VTT support?

For Roll20, a lot of the useful stuff (character generation, equipment and vehicle lists) can only be supported by a compendium or charactermancer, which are restricted to publishers only. Character sheet automation is OK, and the "character" can be a PC, NPC, ship, vehicle or whatever, anything that hold data or generate dice rolls. You just have to fill it all in manually.

The Roll20 API can do a lot of scripting of actions, working out ranges, applying damage, all sorts of things, but it needs a subscription to access it, so I'm opposed to putting any features on the character sheet that need the API.

Firstly, thank you for all your work on the sheet. I know that building sheets on roll20 takes a lot of time and effort, and I genuinely appreciate it.

If I had a wish list of things I wanted, it'd be:

• A version of the sheet for creatures.
  • Support for the additional characteristics from the Traveller companion.
  • Support for the additional weapon stats and modifiers from the Mercenary books.
  • Making the sheet look a bit more "Traveller".

Maybe a sticked thread for the Roll20 sheet would be a good thing to have here?

A couple from me:

• High Guard for Worlds and Star Systems. Your Worldbuilders Handbook. With digital tools to support creation
  • Digital support for creating deckplans (this might be a bit left field - but I know I'd be all over it!)

Mongoose's number one priority should be significantly better editing and proofing, to both simple but huge errors in their physical publishings, and also the innumerable rules inconsistencies across different books.

There will always be people complaining about editing in Traveller books. Not much to look forward to on that front...

Anyway, if anybody ever does make a super-powers book for Traveller, they could call it ‘Mega-Traveller’.

:D

NOLATrav said:
OrdosMalleus said:
Maybe this already exists in the current edition, but a general sourcebook about the Third Imperium and the history of the Travelverse? Major events, races, etc.? Not so much mechanics, as setting info all in one place.

What you’re wanting is the upcoming The Third Imperium book, slated for a November release on the Release Schedule thread.

Will that have the pre-history too? All the way back to the first empire's founding?

OrdosMalleus said:
Will that have the pre-history too? All the way back to the first empire's founding?

Not really. There is some mention of the Third Imperium's predecessors, but for the most part, it is the history only of the Third Imperium. However, it does provide quite a bit more detail than what has been presented before.

Back