Travellers Needed - Pirates of Drinax Reprint

Green revolution specifically, and scientific progress in general.

As long as the environment can keep up with feeding people, and you eliminate most of the other ways to untimely demise; and screwing around remains unchecked.

If I had to guess, the introduction of the local planetary internet will cap off population growth.

GamingGlen said:
Yet again another stupid population number. What is it with TENS OF BILLIONS of people living on desolate worlds? The modern human race on Earth has had 100,000 years (give or take a few millennia) to reach 7 billion on a garden world yet the crew of 15 scout ships stranded on a poor world reach 30 billion population in 2000 years? Yeah, I'm changing that population number. Albe is another world with a unbelievable population count. (one of my pet peeves is Traveller's population generation in the world generation system but that's for another discussion)

People do things for reasons that might seem irrational but might make sense for some reason. That’s the fun part of Traveller’s UWPs: figuring out why they are the way they are. The universe would be kind of boring if everything just made complete sense.

Why do people still live in the Maldives even though it’s being consumed by sea level rise? Or Bangladesh for that matter? In the OTU, interstellar travel isn’t available to most people. You can’t easily move billions of them. Albe was an important world in the Sindalian Empire. It was also kind of outside the core worlds and perhaps avoided some of their civil war’s worst effects. Strange things happen and truth is often stranger than fiction. Just suggesting that instead of deconstructing the things that seem ridiculous, it can be fun to come up with reasons why things are the way they are.

paltrysum said:
Why do people still live in the Maldives even though it’s being consumed by sea level rise? Or Bangladesh for that matter? In the OTU, interstellar travel isn’t available to most people. You can’t easily move billions of them. Albe was an important world in the Sindalian Empire. It was also kind of outside the core worlds and perhaps avoided some of their civil war’s worst effects. Strange things happen and truth is often stranger than fiction. Just suggesting that instead of deconstructing the things that seem ridiculous, it can be fun to come up with reasons why things are the way they are.
That's exactly, why I love the UWP and use randomly generated NPCs (various websites offer generators for that). Adjustments are easily done by hand and UWPs offer vast amounts of interpretations, expecially when combined with the system and map generator from TravellerMap.com.

By the way, thanks for the chapter on that awesome tool in The Glorious Empire. That was really helpful.

Ursus Maior said:
By the way, thanks for the chapter on that awesome tool in The Glorious Empire. That was really helpful.

You're welcome, Ursus Major. :) I hope the tutorial helps people to make fluid borders in their campaigns. Some of those travellermap tools are pretty cool.

Presumably, all updates from Aliens of Charted space are gonna carry over and back to PoD (more slots on the battledress, additional claw upgrade, higher RoF on the tauyuhrir...) but this might also be the perfect opportunity to fix the rad rating of Aslan battledress?

Another thing that might warrant a second look is the Sakhai assault carrier. First off, crew numbers must be off. Have the ground troops been included when calculating required amount of officers? It also needs jump control/3, and the barracks are missing from the deckplan.

Finally, and this part is just my opinion, but the current design is extremely dependent upon tenders and support ships. It received a serious weapon upgrade in the transition between first and second edition, but at the cost of having virtually no cargo space at all. No extra supplies, no spare parts for repairs, no support for the ground troops. Infantry weapons are covered by the armory, but vehicles, supplies..?

The current design can deploy an infantry company and provide fire support, but once on the ground they have to walk and carry what they need by hand. The carrier can of course provide strategic airlift, but it’s a large ship that might not be able to land everywhere, plus the risks of flying it into an active war zone. Space for a couple of APCs, crawlers or ATVs would aid in (re)deployment, a tank or two for fire support or just a couple of recon vehicles would go a long way, methinks.

How best to make space then? Well, that’s the tricky part. Downgrading the fusion gun to a small bay would free up several tonnes, as would a smaller missile supply. Both these will make ship a weaker combatant however... toss out the low berths? Make two versions, one gunship and one troop carrier?

Or, since it’s currently so dependent on tenders, either downgrade the Sakhai to jump/2 or increase the tender to jump/3 so they can keep up.

I don’t hate the ship. In fact I love it, and approve of the upgunning. Problem is that every step taken to improve firepower also weakens it’s troop compliment.

Krrsh the Vargr (Book 1, Page 35): The profile gives him Charisma 10. That seems a bit high considering his circumstances and described behavior.

The Game of Sun and Shadow (Book 1) Moving The Crosshairs (P163) and Planetary Assault (P169): A potentially campaign-changing option that should be covered, given that the PCs may well be aware by this time that the Trojan Reach branch of GeDeCo is up to no good, is shifting the crosshairs onto them and their regional HQ at Vorito. Krond comes across as being egocentric enough to do it if he has enough evidence, and it would have significant ramifications across the sector (and potentially beyond). Even if he isn't willing to outright attack Vorito, his return to the Duke with that evidence would cause GeDeCo a lot of trouble and weaken its position.

It would be really useful to have Highguard stats for the antique Aslan heavy bomber "Eikhoifiruah". I've created my own, but something 'official' would be good.

cjones_wolfe said:
It would be really useful to have Highguard stats for the antique Aslan heavy bomber "Eikhoifiruah". I've created my own, but something 'official' would be good.

I think it's left open to interpretation, as the players' fleet could vary in strength. But some actual Aslan capital ships would certainly be nice

When looking this up, found another piece of errata: Book 1, Page 259: ". . .so these ships are deployed mainly against foes outside the Imperium" That should read "Hierate", not "Imperium"

Old School said:
Tim J osborne said:
Change the way mongoose draw deck plans. I know the ‘3D’ view is intended to be an improvement and more appealing. But they are the ugliest most useless things in any of the books.
What is wrong with producing beautiful scale drawings with 1.5m grids in monotone 2D. With all the lovely graphic art in the publications, having the deck plans as a graphic makes more sense.
It hurts to look at the present ones and they are not well planned or laid out.

Making a new account just to bash the product is a great way to have your ideas incorporated. . .

I haven't made a new account. I've changed my email because I went with a new ISP and switched email accounts & login details at a lot of shops and publishers. I'm really not bashing mongoose they produce the best traveller products since DGP. the writing is fantastic the graphics style is way cool and the artwork is invariably excellent. I just dislike the deck plans, it was a choice to move towards the new 3d style schematics when the update to MGT2 came out I just don't like them as they aren't easily useable.

Tim J osborne said:
Old School said:
Tim J osborne said:
Change the way mongoose draw deck plans. I know the ‘3D’ view is intended to be an improvement and more appealing. But they are the ugliest most useless things in any of the books.
What is wrong with producing beautiful scale drawings with 1.5m grids in monotone 2D. With all the lovely graphic art in the publications, having the deck plans as a graphic makes more sense.
It hurts to look at the present ones and they are not well planned or laid out.

Making a new account just to bash the product is a great way to have your ideas incorporated. . .

I haven't made a new account. I've changed my email because I went with a new ISP and switched email accounts & login details at a lot of shops and publishers. I'm really not bashing mongoose they produce the best traveller products since DGP. the writing is fantastic the graphics style is way cool and the artwork is invariably excellent. I just dislike the deck plans, it was a choice to move towards the new 3d style schematics when the update to MGT2 came out I just don't like them as they aren't easily useable.

there was simply a call put out for people to join the forum and have a say. I did that

Simple Typo
Apologies if you already have it
Trojan Reach page 15 last line
"laid wait to the countryside" should read "laid waste to....

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/302735/Wet-Work

I've finished Wet Work right now, and I'm perplexed. This ebook directly contradicts everything you find about Dolberg in Pirates of Drinax (Book 1, page 71). Who is right?
Personally, I *MUCH* prefer the Dolberg in PoD (and rated Wet Work Two Stars :roll: ... ), please do not change anything :)

This is probably to late. The cargo total for the Harrier is off by few points. The cargo should 31.1

And is the UWP for Drinax correct? In how its described in Book 1, its cities were blasted, its forests burned its oceans boiled, and its left as a baked dessert. But the UWP indicates that it has 60 percent hydrosphere. It strikes me as a copy/paste error.

Pod page 46 paragraphs 11 and 12 Ferrik is called Fezzik twice here.

More info on the “lords of Theev” and how GeDeCo actually gave a way of getting the PCs elevated to that status. More info on just what Darokyn is doing on Theev. Is he an imperial plant, an actual pirate or a GeDeCo operative

ConspiracyX said:
Bring the fixing the harrier rules from the Dinaxian Companion into the set.

Having dealt with this a couple of times now, I'd rather they be left out (or rather, left in the Companion) than made default. This is a definite case of 'less is more'. Having to do a little bit of repair work per the core version is okay (given that most groups will have a few shares) and more or less fits the theme, but the Companion version makes it so cumbersome and costly that it becomes a distraction from the rest of the campaign, and leaves the Harrier in danger of being parked or junked because it's more of a liability than an asset vs a lower tech ship that works.

Please revert back to 2D deck plans, which are a lot more useful than the prettier 3D plans. Or at least make them available as free PDFs.

Back