Travellers Needed - Core Rulebook Reprint

Core Rulebook Update - Story So Far...
Okay, so we had a meeting at Mongoose HQ yesterday to discuss what direction we are going to be going in, and we have been talking to members of the Traveller Inner Circle on specifics of the text. This is what we have decided thus far...

1. We are extracting the text from the existing latest printing of the Traveller Core Rulebook, and treating it as a new draft - this means after tweaks to the text (keep the comments coming!), it will be re-edited, re-laid out and re-proofed.

2. A new cover has already been commissioned and every piece of art inside is likely to be replaced. We did find one piece of art that could have been transferred over, but then Cassie (who is taking the lead on layout and art on this one) said 'nah, let's change it all.' So, there you have it.

3. We will also be changing the interior formatting, which will then be used in every subsequent Traveller book. Think of this as a spring cleaning for the entire Traveller line next year. It looks like chapters will also be re-ordered.

4. We have a growing list of tweaks we want to make to the text, and every chapter thus far is getting some attention in some way. This is NOT (!!!) a new edition; you will be able to use this book with everything that has come before without conversion, and the current book will be useable without conversion with everything that will come out thereafter. Due to the 'modular' nature of Traveller rules, we are able to tweak the internal mechanics of rules and still have a compatible 'output' that can be used by other rules - making this process much easier. Some of the larger areas we are looking at are trade rules and the way sensors work. We are also considering introducing a spacecraft construction system, stripped down from High Guard, possibly at the expense of a detailed subsector.

5. This book will have a new SKU and ISBN, and is currently being referred to as Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022. Happy to accept suggestions for something else!

6. 2D deck plans. Yes. Index. Yes.

7. We also intend to add/swap some new material to keep things fresh - so, you will see different animals, new equipment, different selection of vehicles, etc.

There is a lot more involved with this project, but we wanted to give you a sense of what is going on. Keep the comments coming, we are reading all of them and making notes!

Thanks Matt, and another note of thanks for opening this thread up to us. The posts here are absolute gold already and really useful as I move to run some more Traveller this year. It speaks of the modular nature of this great game that we can apply revisions and spring cleans whilst continuing with what we have quite happily.

I'd like to echo the comments on the Dogfighting, which we quickly abandoned as unworkable (at least for us), and applied a simple starfighter house-rule and just cracked on with our game.

I'm really looking forward to the new rulebook, and although not 'necessary', I think we will all find it a must buy!

Thanks Matt,

Character generation :

A table with height and weight depending on homeworld gravity would be useful.
Being born and living on a 0.7G world, 1G or 1.2G world shouldn't give the same results.
It could include characteristic mods depending on homeworld gravity
And mods for operating in another range of Gravity.

Great suggestions on this thread and waiting for the new core rulebook !

JNJ said:
Being born and living on a 0.7G world, 1G or 1.2G world shouldn't give the same results.

The MgT1 version of 2300AD has at least 90% of this. It doesn't specifically match the body type mods with gravity, but no reason that you couldn't. I kind of like those rules too. Personally wouldn't add them to the core book, but they do exist if you want them. Heck, I like the advantages / disadvantages (kinda feels like Savage Worlds, but in a good way) section of the 2300AD rules too, if we're looking to add stuff in, but again, I probably wouldn't.

Matt, Since you're changing the layout of the book: my humble request would be to offer PDF versions that eliminate the background patterns on the pages. That pattern makes scrolling pages on a tablet very slow, and I have a top of the line tablet. I crack the PDFs and remove the background myself, but this is a cumbersome process. Don't need the full B&W PDF that you did for the Core book (although this is what I use on my tablet for the same reason), but the removing the background design makes all the difference.

Lastly, I appreciate Matt and the Mongoose team making the effort, even if they are going to make me pay for it. For all my criticisms, I do appreciate the grace with which Matt accepts it all, and even invites it by opening up topics such as this.

But could we PLEASE get a revised Highguard PDF that address all the errata in the ship designs? (and 2D deckplans while we're at it)? :D

Did anyone figure out that you run out of power if you fired an energy weapon every six seconds?

Or melt it down?

I have a few things, but a lot has been said already.

1. It was mentioned briefly by one poster, but pronouns. Please at least use the early 2000's standard of "he/him or/and she/her." Singular "they" seems to be becoming the new standard, but if you just are too oldschool for it, at least use the former. The current edition assumes all Referees are male, and that's just rude in modern parlance.

2. More tables to generate adventures and patrons. I know there are a lot, but this is one of the most useful things in a Traveller book and cannot be overdone, imo.

3. Do more with homeworlds. I loved the table in T5 that ties background skills to homeworld trade codes. Something like that would be great. As Referee I can ignore it completely or use it when I and the player are short on ideas.

4. I guess it ruins the whole 2-page spread thing, but expanded career event tables are something I really miss from the 1e splatbooks.

5. Clearer and more detailed trade rules. They feel a bit brief, considering trade is the most fun part for many players and Referees (being fairly unique for rpgs). Maybe a flowchart or two. The simple checklist is fine, but I feel trade should be more central to Traveller.

6. If you are removing the Sindal subsector, maybe some of the expanded exploration rules? If you have room.

My old core book is near falling apart, so this is an excellent development. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Edit: thought of a couple more:

7. A chart in ship combat for the actions of each crewmember. That would go a long way. There was someone on Facebook working on individual charts for each crewmember, but even a singular chart would be great.

8. Typo Pg 217 refers to "effect on Travellers is detailed on page 145." It's on page 76. Maybe this has been fixed before; my book is a bit old.

9. If you steal from Chaosium and give me a Traveller core rulebook with a ribbon bookmark, I will die happy. :D

Old School said:
Matt, Since you're changing the layout of the book: my humble request would be to offer PDF versions that eliminate the background patterns on the pages.
Like having layers, and two versions of the CRB - one where the background is turned on by default (and can be switched off) and one where the default is for the background to be turned on?

alex_greene said:
Old School said:
Matt, Since you're changing the layout of the book: my humble request would be to offer PDF versions that eliminate the background patterns on the pages.
Like having layers, and two versions of the CRB - one where the background is turned on by default (and can be switched off) and one where the default is for the background to be turned on?

If there is a PDF viewer for iOS that handles allows selection of layers, I'm not aware of it. I use Goodreader. Foxit and Adobe's iOS viewer don't have it either, to my knowledge.

Two things:

1):
Not strictly part of the Core Rulebook, but if you're including the "Common Spacecraft" chapter again, do a revision of the costs of Standard hulls. Who needs Standard hulls when Close Structure hulls are cheaper and have more Hull Points? :lol:

2):
magicshoemonkey said:
It was mentioned briefly by one poster, but pronouns. Please at least use the early 2000's standard of "he/him or/and she/her." Singular "they" seems to be becoming the new standard, but if you just are too oldschool for it, at least use the former. The current edition assumes all Referees are male, and that's just rude in modern parlance.

Here too?!? :roll: Mongoose, please do NOT turn your games into a political manifesto as someone else has done. Your pronouns are fine, it's the Newspeak jargon I keep finding everywhere I find rude and/or unnecessary :p ...

Baldo said:
Here too?!? :roll: Mongoose, please do NOT turn your games into a political manifesto as someone else has done. Your pronouns are fine, it's the Newspeak jargon I keep finding everywhere I find rude and/or unnecessary :p ...

Here's the thing. These days, a lot of women play Traveller too - and pronouns do make a difference to many of them.

Think of it just being a case of letting others play with your toys from time to time :)

A biggie - please include a list of changes in the pdf and hyperlink those changes to the relevant page/passage.

Re pronouns being old I also find 'they' infelicitous but being a Commie Pinko European I also understand that sensitivity is in order.

IIRC the HeroQuest RPG made all player refererences 'he' and all GM references 'she' which actually added clarity and I'd suggest doing same while dropping the odd exemplar alien of indeterminate gender in as 'they'.

JNJ said:
Thanks Matt,

Character generation :

I would agree with that under the condition that the world is inhabited by a culture below TL9 and without access to grav-tech. In my opinion, all humans (and similar sophonts) would colonize worlds with a more substantial deviation than 10% from their gravity they are evolutionary accustomed to only, if they can plaster every major construction with grav-plates. Significantly different gravity levels will wreak havoc on your population within a single generation, if you cannot train your health and fitness constantly. Such environments are not fit for true colonies, just for shorter periods of work. Or if you can afford to disregard the health of your employees, errr... population.

magicshoemonkey said:
1. It was mentioned briefly by one poster, but pronouns. Please at least use the early 2000's standard of "he/him or/and she/her." Singular "they" seems to be becoming the new standard, but if you just are too oldschool for it, at least use the former. The current edition assumes all Referees are male, and that's just rude in modern parlance.

6. If you are removing the Sindal subsector, maybe some of the expanded exploration rules? If you have room.

7. A chart in ship combat for the actions of each crewmember. That would go a long way. There was someone on Facebook working on individual charts for each crewmember, but even a singular chart would be great.

I second all these points! Diversity aware language really would be much appreciated and if I may add: character artwork, too. Traveller coult not only be about humaniti and other sophonts, but also about how humaniti overcame its racism problems. It's not so much about leaving something old out, more about adding what's already the reality for many players.

If the Sindal subsector goes, I would like to voice the opinion that all information from that chapter be republished in some form. Those descriptions and patron missions are great guidelines for referees.

Charts and examples are always great, all rulebooks could benefit from more of them.

Good point about hull types which also begs the question of why are standard free and far and fat traders streamlined at all when the cost of adding that Cr10,000 per ton to your mortgage (1,000,000 for a free/far trader which divided by 240 is 4,168 per month) when you can pay considerably less for a pilot-3 whose skill negates the -2 DM for operating in atmosphere.

Which also begs the question of why is it a -2 DM and not a DM based on the atmosphere density (which is based on planet size and thus also factors in gravity)?

My suggestion would be to make the negative DM equivalent to half the atmosphere rating for standard and close structure ships but nothing for streamlined.

And in my Traveller universe it is a condition of a ship's licence that you can't legally land a non-streamlined ship at a starport with an atmosphere if it carries any paying passengers or freight without voiding everyone's insurance - which would explains why the standard free/far/fat traders are streamlined when it would be significantly more profitable for them not to be.

(Which rule obviously doesn't apply in the Sword Worlds who based on the new books all scoff at the decadent Imperials and their health and safety gone mad 'streamlining' and happily accept the added risk of their hideous standard configuration flying brick spacecraft crashing into their starports and cities as a price well worth paying for FREEDOM! - and now I come to think of it maybe they are not Space Vikings at all but just Space Republicans...).

Baldo said:
Two things:

1):
Not strictly part of the Core Rulebook, but if you're including the "Common Spacecraft" chapter again, do a revision of the costs of Standard hulls. Who needs Standard hulls when Close Structure hulls are cheaper and have more Hull Points? :lol:
I find that hulls and their options, like reinforced and light hulls, should have their modifiers depend upon TL at least to some degree. I would very much like to see the chapter on primitive and advanced spacecraft to be expanded to reflect exactly that: hulls, computers, sensors etc can all be influenced by construction TL. Oh, and belt mining should be in a book on trade etc. But Highguard is not the topic here, sorry.

Baldo said:

I genuinely wasn't looking for a fight. It's important to keep up with general social expectations in order to stay relevant. Traveller has to sell into the future, and not die out with the grognards as younger people dismiss it feeling it hasn't adapted to broad cultural changes and expected social cues.

magicshoemonkey said:
I genuinely wasn't looking for a fight. It's important to keep up with general social expectations in order to stay relevant. Traveller has to sell into the future, and not die out with the grognards as younger people dismiss it feeling it hasn't adapted to broad cultural changes and expected social cues.

Yeah, no love for fights here too :) . I'm simply hoping Mongoose doesn't stick EXCESSIVELY close to those "(definitely-not-quite-)general social expectations" in name of £Profit£.
You know, "broad cultural changes and expected social cues" are more fickle than the wind, but certain things (good and bad alike) are eternal, in my opinion.
For a quick example:

Ursus Maior said:
Traveller could not only be about humaniti and other sophonts, but also about how humaniti overcame its racism problems.

Since when? Traveller is more-or-less-realistic SF, not Heroic Fantasy :wink: :lol: .

Traveller does account for Tech level improvements by making better stuff available at higher tech levels but in a wildly inconsistent fashion.

So you want a better tougher hull? well at TL10 you get to add crystalliron armour , Tl 14 bonded superdense armour etc.

However logically wouldn't ALL TL10-13 ships use crystalliron as their standard material and not just as extra armour bolted on?

Given how expensive and easily broken starships are why on earth would you still be building them out of one assumes must be the same steel that our TL7 space shuttle uses when hugely superior materials become available?

But of course if we did that then your all-crystalliron scoutship would have 20 hull points and be pretty much indestructible to most weapons.

So inconsistent as it is I can't see anyway to fix this without yet another edition.

magicshoemonkey said:
Baldo said:

I have to say I was strongly opposed to 'they' when it started to drift towards being the new standard third person singular. it still grates a bit, maybe because because English is (technically) my third language and I had to learn it in school in a big hurry to sound like I was 'from around these parts'. But then I thought about 'you' and how that evolved from fine distinctions to a generic second person pronoun. Languages evolve. I have serious issues understanding Islandic, and Beowulf is just so a bunch of gibberish to my ears. In Traveller, it's more than just gender that needs to be watched: 'man-portable' weapons and 'manned' spacecraft is just as annoying to a Vargr, right? It's 'portable' and 'crewed'. Most of this can be worked around without sounding too politically correct. And better to use 'they' than make up a new pronoun like 'vi' or whatever that was briefly the rage a few years back.

Back