Traveller Corerulebook Update 2022 - Setting Information?

Ilokras

Mongoose
Hi there!

I should mention first, that I got the Corerulebook Update during the Humble Bundle deal in August, so I don't know if this is a general issue, or specific to this version of the pdf.

I started reading the Reach Adventure 1 and right in the beginning there is a reference: "Sindal Subsector (see the Traveller Core Rulebook, page 230)"

I figured the pages might not line up with the update, but I remembered not finding any overview of the Third Imperium setting in the Core Update and being bothered by it, so I checked again and didn't find any references to star systems at all, though the index points to page 228 for "The Imperium". In my version of the book that chapter deals with psionics and unless I'm completely blind, there is no overview of the Imperium in the book.

Was this removed from the update to make space for stuff that was added and the index just wasn't updated, or is my version of the pdf missing something?

It is definitely not in the Core Rulebook 2022 edition. I assume that the setting information was (rightfully) removed from the core rules. I say rightfully because an enduring problem for Traveller is the conflation of the rules and the Charted Space setting, which is slowly being fixed by Mongoose.

Hi there!

I should mention first, that I got the Corerulebook Update during the Humble Bundle deal in August, so I don't know if this is a general issue, or specific to this version of the pdf.

I started reading the Reach Adventure 1 and right in the beginning there is a reference: "Sindal Subsector (see the Traveller Core Rulebook, page 230)"

I figured the pages might not line up with the update, but I remembered not finding any overview of the Third Imperium setting in the Core Update and being bothered by it, so I checked again and didn't find any references to star systems at all, though the index points to page 228 for "The Imperium". In my version of the book that chapter deals with psionics and unless I'm completely blind, there is no overview of the Imperium in the book.

Was this removed from the update to make space for stuff that was added and the index just wasn't updated, or is my version of the pdf missing something?
In case you have not had the chance to follow up on the links mentioned in the book here is a direct link to the Sindal Subsector on TravellerMap

Thank you for the tips, I was more hoping for a broad, but concise overview of the setting itself.
I plan on getting all relevant books, but until then it would have been nice to have a broad overview of the sectors and the general happenings in charted space.

Thank you for the tips, I was more hoping for a broad, but concise overview of the setting itself.
I plan on getting all relevant books, but until then it would have been nice to have a broad overview of the sectors and the general happenings in charted space.
So... Charted Space is huge. Each region is covered by its own sourcebook (though the Trojan Reach, which Sindal is part of, is mainly covered in the Pirates of Drinax campaign materials rather than its own sourcebook). Any one of those regional sourcebooks will give you more than enough information to play as long as you want.

Beyond the Claw, The Spinward Extents, Solomani Front, Third Imperium, The Great Rift, Trailing Frontier, and the soon to be released Deep & the Dark.

So... Charted Space is huge. Each region is covered by its own sourcebook (though the Trojan Reach, which Sindal is part of, is mainly covered in the Pirates of Drinax campaign materials rather than its own sourcebook). Any one of those regional sourcebooks will give you more than enough information to play as long as you want.

Beyond the Claw, The Spinward Extents, Solomani Front, Third Imperium, The Great Rift, Trailing Frontier, and the soon to be released Deep & the Dark.
I realize that, but so far the sourcebooks I've read seem to make certain assumptions about the reader being familiar with some of the rough langscape of the setting, both socially and astrographically, so it just would have been nice to still have that rough background information to put things into context.
Obviously I can make do with the wiki, but my original question was just if that material was removed and the references in the core update weren't updated.

edit:
So I asked an acquaintance and the original corerules just had a write up of Sindal in that chapter that was referenced in the first Reach adventure, no grand overview. Aw shucks, ah well.

Last edited:
Yes this chapter in the original core rulebook was very useful to me and others i know. With it you have what you need to begin with 3 Reach adventures (1, 2 and 3). And with this chapter you could begin playing in Charted Space with only the core rulebook.
I suppose they cannot keep him because they add rule for building spacecrafts in the update. Before High Guard was required.

If you are new to Charted Space, i recommend Third Imperium. It's general description of the Imperium is great.

Last edited:
Yes this chapter in the original core rulebook was very useful to me and others i know. With it you have what you need to begin with 3 Reach adventures (1, 2 and 3). And with this chapter you could begin playing in Charted Space with only the core rulebook.
I suppose they cannot keep him because they add rule for building spacecrafts in the update. Before High Guard was required.

If you are new to Charted Space, i recommend Third Imperium. It's general description of the Imperium is great.
They needed the space mainly, but also I think they want to break the link between the Traveller rules and Charted Space. Pioneer, Mindjammer, Traveller 2300, and hopefully some other settings in the future all use the Traveller rules. They want to be able to put out rulebooks that aren't specific to Charted Space. And there's stuff in some of the rulebooks that are not used in Charted Space. Like alternate FTL drives in HIgh Guard.

The Third Imperium book was the first setting book I bought for exactly that reason.

Back