Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 - eBook & Pre-Order

Trade rules have had a major adjustment -- they now take the other side's Broker skill into account, which means it's a lot harder to make money on speculative trade. The percentage table looks to have been changed as well.

Spacecraft-scale Radiation weapons now inflict x3 Rads instead of x5. (This is a good thing -- no longer 1 high roll away from a TPK.) However, the "area effect" of the radiation hit is now a flat 10 meters, which (IMO) makes no sense.

Honestly, my main concern is whether they are still editing the book before it goes to print because there seem to be some real problems with omissions and errors in the layout. PDFs are easily updated but I'd hate to get a print book with the errors I'm seeing.

So exactly what has changed, since I'm deciding which book to invest in this month.

If it's just correcting typos and upgrading the illustrations, I might as well look elsewhere.

So, careers are the same, the skills are the same, presumably the canon spaceships are the same and have been corrected.

Has anything changed in ship construction rules?

Layout and illustrations have also been upgraded/redone (I personally find the new layout much friendlier to the eyes; illustrations are better than before, but it's a bit hit-and-miss).

cunningrat said:
Sensor Lock now grants a flat +2 to a gunner instead of a Boon, and you now have to roll Sensors to detect missile launches (making stealthy missile ships that much more deadly).
Yay! The latter is a much needed addition, I had hoped to see!

Bill Sheil said:
I think the previous ambiguity has gone now. The text on p18 also now clear states that basic training is instead of a skill roll. And I don't feel it is punitive since being able to pick a skill (even at zero) is a fairly powerful benefit compared with random assignment.

My bad. That’s all crystal clear now! Should have read on more carefully. I’m *really* liking all the fixes in this update. Especially that you can now sink ships.

One thing that *is* ambiguous now is the dilettante career. Should its advancement be 8+ (p 21) or 7+ (page 38). How hard is it to get ahead as a wastrel anyway? My guess is that p38 is correct.

I bought the set so I can answer my own questions (or at least, as far as I have gotten so far):

I see that Impossible (16+) difficulty tasks have been added to the difficulty chart.

The amount of cash a new character can spend on gear has been increased from Cr2,000 to Cr10,000, and the value of mustering out benefits for Augmentations, Guns, and Weapons has been increased.
Ship's Boat benefits can now be traded in for ship shares rather than additional levels of Pilot (Small Craft). You probably would only want to do this if you already had Pilot (Small Craft)-4.
Anagathics are more expensive: Cr250,000 x 1D per term rather than Cr200,000 x 1D.

NOLATrav said:
Has anyone taken a spin thru the sensor rules? Curious if they’ve been updated and if so, thoughts on the new implementation.

I can see no updates to the Sensor rules themselves, they look identical to what they've always been.
Couple of small changes to the ways Sensors are used in combat: Sensor Lock now grants a flat +2 to a gunner instead of a Boon, and you now have to roll Sensors to detect missile launches (making stealthy missile ships that much more deadly).

They were indeed due an overhaul, but during development the rules started to 'sprawl' and go beyond the remit of a Core Rulebook. Expect expanded crew position rules in High Guard Update 2022.

MongooseMatt said:
They were indeed due an overhaul, but during development the rules started to 'sprawl' and go beyond the remit of a Core Rulebook. Expect expanded crew position rules in High Guard Update 2022.

Thank you, appreciate the reply. Cheers!

Is this question going to be answered:

will the errors being noticed in the pdf be fixed before the books go to print.

A £100 special edition may look good but if it has the errors that are being noticed in the pdf...

cunningrat said:
Trade rules have had a major adjustment -- they now take the other side's Broker skill into account, which means it's a lot harder to make money on speculative trade. The percentage table looks to have been changed as well.
... and DMs for both source and destination world characteristics (pop, tech, starport) are considered for availability of passengers and freight.

Yep, it is the data for the various Hostile Environment Vacc Suits and Battle Dress that have been cropped from the Armour table.

I’m not sure whether the table can be amended before print, but it is preferable if it can. There should be an adjustment made to the PDF at first opportunity, regardless.

"An updated version of this title is now available. Tweaked with the new FAQ (armour, autocannon and Survey Scout updated)."

Whoops! Time to grab the updated update.

The updated update seems to have fixed some issues identified here (the basic training and battle dress stats ones frex).

Something just spotted: anagathic costs per dose (20,000 per month) on page 115 continue to have no relationship to the cost per term in chargen (d6 x 25,000 per term)

My amendment would be to reduce the monthly cost to 2,000 = 24k p.a. = 96k per term which is consistent(-ish) with chargen costs and actually makes them a practical option for PCs.

I'd have preferred an update to the ageing rules so they are not based on life expectancy tables for c.1970 American males though (I once did the maths and IIRC they really are) though...

Back