Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 - eBook & Pre-Order

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
The fully revised, updated and reformatted Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 is here! This is your gateway to the best Traveller campaigns, with an all new look!

You can snatch your own copy right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/traveller-core-rulebook-update-2022.html

While North American Travellers can find theirs here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/us/traveller-core-rulebook-update-2022.html

travcore2022_2.jpg


In addition, we have a gorgeous looking Collector's Edition, limited to just 300 copies.

You can snag a copy of the Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 Collector's Edition (with free PDF!) here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/traveller-core-rulebook-update-2022-collectors-edition.html

And North American collectors will find theirs here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/us/traveller-core-rulebook-update-2022-collectors-edition.html

Traveller is a science fiction roleplaying game of bold explorers and brave adventurers. The Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 contains everything you need to create one of these adventures and begin exploring the galaxy.

Spaceports, ancient civilisations, air/rafts, cold steel blades, laser carbines, far distant worlds, and exotic alien beasts – this is the futuristic universe of Traveller, the original and classic science fiction roleplaying game.

Come visit the far future.


The Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 has been fully revised for this edition and contains many tweaks and rules updates, as well as a brand new, highest quality interior format with lashings of top tier art to immerse you in the far future.
 

schneeland

Mongoose
A summary of the changes would indeed be nice.

More immediate question though: are taxes and import fees handled for orders to the EU/Germany by you or should I expect to pay them on top of shipping? Trying to decide whether I order directly from you or wait till my preferred store adds them to its catalogue.
 

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
schneeland said:
More immediate question though: are taxes and import fees handled for orders to the EU/Germany by you or should I expect to pay them on top of shipping? Trying to decide whether I order directly from you or wait till my preferred store adds them to its catalogue.

We are currently taking care of those for the EU (and shipping from the US at the moment to avoid Brexit nonsense, though I think we will be back to shipping from the UK when this book comes out).
 

sshinn

Mongoose
I'd love to know more! A list of rules changes would be nice.

The million dollar question is ... does it have an index?

-- Stan :)
 

schneeland

Mongoose
MongooseMatt said:
We are currently taking care of those for the EU (and shipping from the US at the moment to avoid Brexit nonsense, though I think we will be back to shipping from the UK when this book comes out).

Thanks! That was enough to justify an impulse buy :)

(just to had to pay 16€ fees for a crowdfunding project shipping from the UK, which spoiled the fun a bit, so I wanted to double check)

Edit:
Initial impression: I like the new, cleaned up design. Illustrations look great, too, so far.
 

sshinn

Mongoose
I suppose the ship has sailed on this (if it is off to the printers), but the grammar on the title seems odd.

Is it a "Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022" which implies a small document which is an incremental update to the separate core rules.

Or is it a "Traveller Core Rulebook Updated 2022" which implies a revised version of the full rules (and, we know from the description that this is actually what it is, updated rules).

Better yet, name it 'Traveller Core Rules Deluxe' or something. :)
 

Travellingdave

Mongoose
Just purchased and downloaded. Really like the new layout and Kudos on including a basic Ship Construction System! Also, I think the 2D ship maps are far more readable; good call.

Notes:
I did notice that the Battle Dress info seemed to have been clipped off the Armor Table on page 100 in the PDF.

Also, should the Light Autocannon on Page 142 really only have 1D damage? Light Autocannon 6 1 1D .25 Cr10000 500 Cr1000 Auto 3

Screens are mentioned in the Spacecraft Construction Rules but none are listed. Was that intentional?

Hopefully you're still getting copy edit feedback before this goes to print.
 

cunningrat

Banded Mongoose
Travellingdave said:
Hopefully you're still getting copy edit feedback before this goes to print.

Certainly hope so. One thing I noticed is that the Rad protection on Combat Armor is WAY lower than in the Core Book, and makes no sense: Rad 40 for TL10 but only Rad 22 for TL 14. Would be nice to know which part of that is intentional and which is a misprint.

HE Vacc Suits have a description and an illustration, but are not present in the tables. Same with Battle Dress.

...

Would it make sense to have a separate "Changes and tweaks from Core to 2022" thread, both to give us an idea of what has changed, and to verify with you whether something is a misprint?
 

NOLATrav

Banded Mongoose
Has anyone taken a spin thru the sensor rules? Curious if they’ve been updated and if so, thoughts on the new implementation.
 

TrippyHippy

Cosmic Mongoose
I can see that the character sheet has been updated in the new book, in line with that of the Companion but more basic without all the options. It looks nice - will we see the download file on this site updated soon?
 

cunningrat

Banded Mongoose
NOLATrav said:
Has anyone taken a spin thru the sensor rules? Curious if they’ve been updated and if so, thoughts on the new implementation.
I can see no updates to the Sensor rules themselves, they look identical to what they've always been.
Couple of small changes to the ways Sensors are used in combat: Sensor Lock now grants a flat +2 to a gunner instead of a Boon, and you now have to roll Sensors to detect missile launches (making stealthy missile ships that much more deadly).
 

NOLATrav

Banded Mongoose
cunningrat said:
NOLATrav said:
Has anyone taken a spin thru the sensor rules? Curious if they’ve been updated and if so, thoughts on the new implementation.
I can see no updates to the Sensor rules themselves, they look identical to what they've always been.
Couple of small changes to the ways Sensors are used in combat: Sensor Lock now grants a flat +2 to a gunner instead of a Boon, and you now have to roll Sensors to detect missile launches (making stealthy missile ships that much more deadly).

Ok, thank you for that. I’d thought there’d be a bit more of an overhaul there. Regardless, I do like the new look and basic ship construction is a good add.
 

Tupper

Banded Mongoose
I was slightly surprised to see that the flowchart for character generation still says “if this is your first term, go through basic training. Otherwise, choose a skill table and roll.”, which conflicts with the text rule “In each term you spend in a career, pick one of these tables and roll 1D to see which skill you increase.” The flowchart rule is very punitive, so I’d imagine the text rule is correct.
 

Greg Rex

Mongoose
Tupper said:
I was slightly surprised to see that the flowchart for character generation still says “if this is your first term, go through basic training. Otherwise, choose a skill table and roll.”, which conflicts with the text rule “In each term you spend in a career, pick one of these tables and roll 1D to see which skill you increase.” The flowchart rule is very punitive, so I’d imagine the text rule is correct.

It's addressed slightly further on the same page under "Basic Training".
 

Bill Sheil

Banded Mongoose
Tupper said:
I was slightly surprised to see that the flowchart for character generation still says “if this is your first term, go through basic training. Otherwise, choose a skill table and roll.”, which conflicts with the text rule “In each term you spend in a career, pick one of these tables and roll 1D to see which skill you increase.” The flowchart rule is very punitive, so I’d imagine the text rule is correct.
I think the previous ambiguity has gone now. The text on p18 also now clear states that basic training is instead of a skill roll. And I don't feel it is punitive since being able to pick a skill (even at zero) is a fairly powerful benefit compared with random assignment.
 

Annatar Giftbringer

Cosmic Mongoose
First impressions are very positive for me! It looks glorious, and there are a bunch of small tweaks and changes here and there that makes it feel like... How to say, a modern book n game, rather than a modern take on something from the 70's (which had its charm, for sure). I noticed some parts were clarified, others changed, like all spaceships having intellect programs now, and the data display/recorder hud glasses are much cheaper; completely new set of example animals... Nibbons are soo cute! But I assume flyer(+2) should be flyer (slow) or something? Some new toolkits... Lots to love.

One thing I did not love, however, are the redecorated interiors of some space ships, notably yachts, Sub Merchant and Sub Liner. First and foremost, why aren't crew and passengers separated? The crew needs their own common areas, where they can relax and not be disturbed, plus the yacht passengers wouldn't want to see crew running around, would they? Also a security issue, the crew needs to have their own spaces. A good thing with the Sub Liner is that it finally has airlocks, but all the staterooms together in one area? Once again, separate the crew from passengers. And a single common area for everyone, crew and passengers alike? No, and certainly not so close to the bridge! Passengers should be kept away from there at all times! Plus everyone needs to climb through an iris hatch to reach the common area on a separate deck... What about replacing the common area near the bridge with crew staterooms and a smallwe (crew) common area, and place the large common area where the crew staterooms used to be?

The Survey Scout is listed as having 10x staterooms, but I see only 5 on the deckplan. More staterooms would be good for that ship, making it more like the 1st edition version, with a larger crew that can actually get some work done.

I'm personally not too keen on the new Merc Cruiser either, but that's more down to personal thoughts and nostalgia...
 
Top