Traveller Core Rulebook Image

dmccoy1693

Cosmic Mongoose
So this is a thing...

11850746_896093673777018_7748582618000507152_o.jpg

Well - knee jerk consumer instinct kicking in - I’d buy that! :D

What I want to know is how much new stuff is coming with the new edition? We know that there will be online support (thumbs up!), but what about a miniature range and some war-game/boardgame spinoffs?

Traveller, in my view, is best seen as THE sci-fi roleplaying equivalent to D&D.

In terms of pure market share, however, that title really belongs to Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPGs these days. I’d like a Traveller 2nd edition, through multiple media, a tidy review of the rules and a raised sense of production standards, really put that mantle to the test though.

Star Wars is an intimidating IP to be a competitor against - especially with the new movies just around the corner - but you could argue that D&D effectively competes against Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings (or The One Ring RPG) too. In my opinion, Traveller has greater versatility and more fun systems of play than the Star Wars games, and it does have historical significance in terms of game design to be an important IP in it’s own right. Mongoose also has the advantage of having a good 7-8 years of getting to know it’s own market and capabilities with the game now too.

If they can find a way to promote Traveller’s core ideas in an easy, accessible and stylish way - they can gain a greater market share I’m sure. This is what I hope is happening as I impatiently wait for an official announcement…..

Mr McCoy,

Pray tell kind sir, from where didst thou recover said image?

The Book of Face is a cult to which I pay no homage.

Is there a resource where your humble correspondent might find respite?

Yours in admiration,

Hiro Protagonist III

ARF ARF ARF

FFG Star Wars is more like a boardgame, but without a board, when compared to tabletop RPGs. Just watch any game of it being played.

Traveller, in general, still has the "problem" of not having XP, hit points, and leveling up. Oh, and red dragons. But that is a whole other demographic. Mongoose Traveller is the best written iteration of the game. Anyone can understand what it does and how it works. If they still aren't interested in playing it, they simply were not meant for Traveller is all. The game should not alter or morph, or lose its integrity, to appeal to such people. If previous and future versions of Traveller have not succeeded in attracting the general public, it's best if Mongoose just continues focusing on improving the core rules for its next edition.

hiro said:
Mr McCoy,

Pray tell kind sir, from where didst thou recover said image?

The Book of Face is a cult to which I pay no homage.

Is there a resource where your humble correspondent might find respite?

Yours in admiration,

Hiro Protagonist III

ARF ARF ARF
It's a Facebook thing for now. Check their game site for when it shows up there.

Of course one can use Traveller to play around in the Star Wars universe or other scifi universes, just wont have all the official support material.

Of course one can use Traveller to play around in the Star Wars universe or other scifi universes, just won’t have all the official support material.
Too true. In my own head, my Traveller campaign is basically a facsimile of Star Wars (the original, at least).

Incidentally, I just showed the logo to a child and he said it looks like “Guardians of the Galaxy”. Good/bad?! I dunno….

ShawnDriscoll said:
FFG Star Wars is more like a boardgame, but without a board, when compared to tabletop RPGs. Just watch any game of it being played.

Traveller, in general, still has the "problem" of not having XP, hit points, and leveling up. Oh, and red dragons. But that is a whole other demographic. Mongoose Traveller is the best written iteration of the game. Anyone can understand what it does and how it works. If they still aren't interested in playing it, they simply were not meant for Traveller is all. The game should not alter or morph, or lose its integrity, to appeal to such people. If previous and future versions of Traveller have not succeeded in attracting the general public, it’s best if Mongoose just continues focusing on improving the core rules for its next edition.
I agree that the game - in terms of basic accessibility and rules - is fine. However, I think that the appeal can broaden with some appraisal of the presentation, a general tidy-up of the systems in practice, and an open attitude towards having a multi-media approach to the game.

Having boardgames, card games, online games and miniatures based on the Traveller brand doesn’t impact on the RPG design itself, but it does widen the number of potential players who will try out the RPG. I actually got some players to play Judge Dredd as their first RPG experience last month. They recognised the Judge Dredd brand, and were attracted through the miniature game. When they saw I had a Judge Dredd RPG, they were keen to give it a go. This is the same point with Traveller as a whole - there are a whole bunch of gamers out there that have no conception about what a roleplaying game is or how you do it. Let’s educate them!

And the game does not need an XP system. ;)

AndrewW said:
Of course one can use Traveller to play around in the Star Wars universe or other scifi universes, just wont have all the official support material.
That's the only way I do Star Wars settings.
TrippyHippy said:
there are a whole bunch of gamers out there that have no conception about what a roleplaying game is or how you do it. Let’s educate them!
That's why I make videos. New future players every week are hearing about this game.

I remember now, because we've all talked about this before in the interweb. And that is, just put better artwork in the Traveller books. That will bring players to the game faster than anything. What's the first thing players rave about when reviewing an RPG on YouTube? The artwork. They go on about it. That's not possible with Traveller books, other than Chthonian Stars. I've seen people buy Chthonian Stars first, and then buy the Mongoose rulebook much later.

ShawnDriscoll said:
What's the first thing players rave about when reviewing an RPG on YouTube? The artwork.
What a waste. That's like going to a restaurant and talking about nothing but the decor.

alex_greene said:
ShawnDriscoll said:
What's the first thing players rave about when reviewing an RPG on YouTube? The artwork.
What a waste. That's like going to a restaurant and talking about nothing but the decor.
Ha! You're funny. I see what you mean though. But the general public puts RPG books back on the shelves if the artwork isn't there. Me personally though, I'd rather see quality role-players at my Traveller games than chuckleheads.

ShawnDriscoll said:
The artwork. They go on about. That's not possible with Traveller books, other than Chthonian Stars.

I disagree that Cthonian Stars is the only good one. There are others. (For the record I like it)

Well I have had generally positive feed back about my art work and my books I have done. So I think your in a minority there. I'm guessing you don't like my work, what is it you don't like?
I can take criticism, from which I can find ways to improve.
Some of my early stuff is a bit weak, but I have come a long way.

Have you considered doing your own book or getting something published? You are an artist yourself, so why not ?

Alex is correct though. It's not just about the art.

middenface said:
I disagree that Cthonian Stars is the only good one. There are others. (For the record I like it)

I'm guessing you don't like my work, what is it you don't like?
Do you do people? And are they in color?

middenface said:
Have you considered doing your own book or getting something published? You are an artist yourself, so why not ?
No. I can't do people. Just ships and space scenes as a hobby only. There's too much of that art already. And I ask for too much money, also. That's one reason why you don't see my stuff published. If I'm in a good mood though, I give away art for people to use/download. So technically, it has appeared in (non-)Traveller books/mags.

I refuse to use Poser or DAZ3D to do people illustrations. Makes the game look cheap.

middenface said:
Alex is correct though. It's not just about the art.
I like the cover for Orbital you did. 2001-ish looking. I mention it in one or two of my videos. I'm trying to think if I've seen any of your other books shown or mentioned in a video by a reviewer or similar. I did see a deckplan you did on YouTube. I don't use deckplans.

It’s not just about the art - but it is about the overall look, feel and direction of the design.

When Mongoose released Traveller back in 2008 or so, there was very much a desire to recapture the style of Classic Traveller in it’s simplicity. This was a bit hit and miss as it transpired, and there has been a few issues that are now commonly cited as criticisms of the game.

Now, Mongoose can produce nice looking books - the Judge Dredd book is full colour, has nice glossy pages with a lot of art, an easy to read layout and text, and sits very sturdily together in a hardback book. More recently, the 2300AD core rules was released with a hardback that feels velvety to the touch and even though the interior is b+w, the whole thing feels quite classy as a whole.

The most important thing about Traveller is the game itself, but I think the game deserves to be packaged in an attractive, stylish and modern way. The art is a part of that - and I do like Ian Stead’s work actually - but it only works if it is put together as part of an overall design.

Back