To the Hilt vs Natural DR

Voltumna

Mongoose
Can to the hilt happen when attacking an unarmoured creatura that has natural DR?

If it can happen, would the 1d4 damage be reduced by the DR again when the "nailed" creature takes an action?

This sitch came up in my last game.

The DR applies when sticking the sword in.

I ruled the DR did not apply the following round as the weapon was buried "TO THE HILT" within the creatures flesh.

Unless their organs have DR. Kinda like how Superman can drink acid and it will have no effect but the Thing...different story.

Well since Natural DR works like Armor it means the creature would be armored. So you can't to the hilt a creature with natural DR.

Oops, :shock:

Wow, that barbarian character in my campaign is pretty bad ass if he can do that when the rules say he cant' :wink:

Yeah, I loved To The Hilt when I first saw it, I so wnated to make a dagger wielding thief who who just leave daggers in his opponents... but once I read the unarmored part it kinda felt useless.

Actually it says in needs to be an unamored, not "Without damage reduction", so the way i see it, you can use it, and i whould not apply the barbarians DR to the 1d4 he suffers from having a great sword in his belly.

Castel said:
Actually it says in needs to be an unamored, not "Without damage reduction", so the way i see it, you can use it, and i whould not apply the barbarians DR to the 1d4 he suffers from having a great sword in his belly.

Well I don't have my AE book on me, but doesn't it say in the monsters section that natural armor DR functions just like armor?

It works like armour, it isn´t like armour, a horse as damage reduction, but he isn´t wearing any armour, so you can do "to the hilt", if the horse had any armour, then you wouldn´t be able to use it (yes horses with armour, pretty cool in charge)

Its called "Natural Armor" for a reason. If functions exactly like aromor in all respects, including protecting against To The Hilt.

Sorry, I always thought that having natural amour and using armour were considered diferent, and that "to the hilt" would affect unarmoured but with natural armour oponnents.
But then it all comes to de definition of unarmored, and actually i´ve never seen written that a barabarian as a "natural armour" but only that he as a DR hability... but i can be wrong.

Here's a question: To The Hilt requires that the target be unarmored, if you can completely finess the target's armor, can you use To The Hilt? I'd say you could since, for that hit, they have no armor against your attack, but I'd like to hear everyone else's attitudes.

bjorntfh said:
Here's a question: To The Hilt requires that the target be unarmored, if you can completely finess the target's armor, can you use To The Hilt? I'd say you could since, for that hit, they have no armor against your attack, but I'd like to hear everyone else's attitudes.

that would be nice

That's the way my table does it, but they don't let you finesse natural DR. It makes it somewhat useful for thieves, but not overpowering.

I don't know a great deal about the mechanics of your game, but I would think that you could not go To The Hilt because your hilt would be held off by the distance or thickness of the armor from the body. A chest plate can be several inches away from your skin. You might be able to fit the blade through a gap or such, but the hilt would still prevent the total length of the blade from entering the body.

Unless these rules are terribly unrealistic.

Back