timeline

10harold66

Mongoose
I picked up my copy of SM at Games Plus in Mt. Prospect IL yesterday and scanned through, wanting to read about the "history" section that I remembered so fondly from the two Library Data LBBs. I must have lost it since reading the Library Data books a while ago, but I had a timeline I worked out that showed all the significant dates for discovering jump drive, contact dates between Solomani/Vilani, wars, First, Second, Third Imperiums, etc.

I was hoping to see a similar timeline in SM, but there are just a few dates -- not enough for me to piece them together, though.

Can anyone help direct me to a good source? Or discuss it here?

I am specifically interested in when the OTU says that Humaniti, specifically those from Terra, developed jump capability.

And am I correct in reading that the Ancients were supposed to have spread humans throughout the galaxy about 300,000 years from the establishment of the 3rd Imperium?

SM is a great read, by the way. Really licking my chops to get the other books, even though I don't (and never have) played the game.

Thanks folks.

10harold66 said:
I am specifically interested in when the OTU says that Humaniti, specifically those from Terra, developed jump capability.

The Solomani (that's us Terrans) discovered jump-1... erm, at some point between 2087 and 2089 AD (around Imperial Year -2432)

The CT Solomani Rim sector book (pg 4) says it was in -2431 (2089 AD). CT Alien Module 6 Solomani (pg 4) says 2087 AD, and GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars says 2088 AD. And GT: Rim of Fire says -2434 (2086 AD). Welcome to Traveller, sigh. :(

And am I correct in reading that the Ancients were supposed to have spread humans throughout the galaxy about 300,000 years from the establishment of the 3rd Imperium?

300,000 years before that (give or take a few thousand), yep.

You could start looking for information here:
http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

There once was a truly excellent integrated Traveller timeline on the
Internet, but currently all my links to it are dead ... :shock:

rust said:
You could start looking for information here:
http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Actually I think that timeline is pretty lousy, for three reasons:

1) It doesn't actually show everything in a big list, you have to click on individual years which can get annoying.
2) The canonicity of the wikia stuff is rather suspect and unclear in a lot of places.
3) It's really not a complete list of dates.

DonM had a huge continuous timeline online which might be what you were thinking of, but that seems to have disappeared now.

EDG said:
DonM had a huge continuous timeline online which might be what you were thinking of, but that seems to have disappeared now.

Yes, this is the one I mean. Since I do not use the OTU, I never made
a copy. :(

Deniable said:
DonM's Timeline is here.
It's huge. (About 1MB, but 134 pages of text.)
And his Traveller info page is http://dmckinne.winterwar.org/trav.html

Thanks for the initial link.

EDG said:
Actually I think that timeline (http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline)
is pretty lousy, for three reasons:

1) It doesn't actually show everything in a big list, you have to click on individual years which can get annoying.
2) The canonicity of the wikia stuff is rather suspect and unclear in a lot of places.
3) It's really not a complete list of dates.

You may not like the Wiki Timeline, but if you haven't tried to put any effort in increasing it's scope and accuracy you don't seem to understand what he wiki is about... Contribute when you can.. we all can make it better.

Just my two cents....

Sstefan said:
You may not like the Wiki Timeline, but if you haven't tried to put any effort in increasing it's scope and accuracy you don't seem to understand what he wiki is about... Contribute when you can.. we all can make it better.

Just my two cents....
And well said.

Sstefan said:

Given that DonM has already done the necessary collating (and much more rigorously at that), and published the results in a form that is vastly easier to reference, what's the point? You'd be better off putting a link to that (or storing a copy of it locally there) than redoing it all in a piecemeal manner. It just seems to me that in this particular case people would be much better off contributing to the wiki in other ways than by reinventing the wheel.

Thanks... and I'm still around. Yes, there's several newer products that are not in the timeline yet... I probably need to get my grindstone back out...

The Winter War website moved in March, and Google isn't accepting the new site into its index. If anyone knows how to fix that, e-mail me directly at don.mckinney@gmail.com.

Back