Timeline discrepancies

BlackCat

Mongoose
This is something that I've reported over at Project Aon, but since Mongoose will publish these books soon, it was suggested that I report it here too so that modifications can be made.

The problem is about the timeline of the LW books, especially books 9 and 10. Now, some of the elements that I'm going to mention here refer to the LW Club Newsletters that are available over at Project Aon. Some of these elements were added as part of an appendix to their version of the Magnamund Companion (which I will refer to as "PA's MC"). So here it goes...

We know the year of each LW adventures of the GM and NO series since it is written in the SsF of each of these books. Previous to that, in the PA's edition of the MC, we know that books 1 to 5 happen between MS 5050 and MS 5055. Where it starts to be complicated is with the Magnakai series.

-Book 13 says that it is currently the year MS 5075 and that 5 years have gone since the destruction of Helgedad, which puts this event in MS 5070, along with LW's return from the Daziarn. However, on page 124 of the PA's MC, there's a guy who ask if LW's body has aged after coming back from the Daziarn in MS 5067 after spending 8 years there. That puts book 10 in MS 5059. But, the previous question on that very same page of the MC is about the age of LW in each of the first 8 books of the series, and it puts book 8 in MS 5060.

-Also, on page 123, there's a question about who succeeded to Kimah as the new Zakhan of Vassagonia, and it is said that Lhazhor took the throne in MS 5060 (which means after book 9). Since book 10 is happening the very same year, that puts LW's trip to the Daziarn in MS 5060 and his return in MS 5068, two years before his actual return in book 12 to destroy the Darklords.

-Section 145 of book 9 mentions that it has been 3 years since LW left Sommerlund, which means that book 6 happens three years before book 9. But, like said earlier, there's a question on page 124 of PA's MC that asks the age of LW through the books, and it puts book 6 in MS 5058. So, book 9 is supposed to happen in MS 5061 and not in MS 5060.

-From the SsF of book 9: "In Elzian, the capital of Dessi, you were tutored in the histories of Magnamund and received lessons in lore that you would have learned from Kai Masters if only they, like you, had survived the murderous Darklord attack on the Kai monastery eleven years ago. " (That puts us in MS 5061)
Then, from the SsF of book 10: "In Elzian, the capital of Dessi, you were tutored in the histories of Magnamund and received lessons in lore that you would have learned from Kai Masters if only they, like you, had survived the murderous Darklord attack on the Kai monastery twelve years ago." (That puts us in MS 5062). Since section 1 of book 10 says it's mid-summer when you start your adventure, that means that book 9 happens at least 7 months before that, which I think is too much considering the emergency of the situation. The Elder Magi even travel to Tahou to meet with LW instead of asking him to come back to Elzian!

-Finally, I have also noticed that, in the SsF of the NO books, they put the destruction of the Darklords in MS 5075, not MS 5070 like it is said in the GM series.

I doubt that Mongoose can change something to what has been said in the old Newsletters; however, the elements that are in the gamebooks (like the difference between the SsF of books 9 and 10 and the year of the destruction of the Darklords in the GM and NO series) could be modified... if JD gets to know these problems. I would like Mongoose to report these discrepancies to him so that he can modify the timeline as he wishes before the publication of the new version of these books.

too .. much .. information! Head .. exploding ..

Man you have thought that through! I always assumed they got things correct with the dates.

So what should the "correct" dates be in your opinion? That would help me try to follow it all! Perhaps a brief chronology like: MS5070 - LW returns from the Dazhiarn, Helegdad destroyed. Something like that.

Incidently, I was thinking that if to LW a few days in the Dazhiarn was 8 years in Magnamund, then Vonotar can only have spent like a week in the Dazhiarn, yet he was already ruler of the city - some fast work! Maybe the time is lost spent travelling through the Shadow Gates? And some can travel faster or something? It would be nice to have a definitive answer. I think I will post this on the TOTS forum.

slavemaster already did this, i posted it on PA for comment, and it's in the slavemaster story post in the tots WW

Hi Guys, on behalf of Joe can I just say that there is no need to worry about timelines etc. There were things that Joe was unhappy with the first time round (this being a good example) and he is now getting the chance to rectify them in the new editions. All previous issues are being addressed

No Problem. Joe is going back over each book and spending a really long time ensuring that all of the "kinks" are worked out. The books are bounced back and forth between the two of us and proof readers so we can get everything right

Back