Things We Do Not Love About B5 RPG (please get involved!)

Catlion said:
-pictures of all the races, ships, equipment etc. It adds a lot of flavour to the game if you can actually show your players how things look like. Pics from the series or your own artwork.

I'd echo that, I realise art costs can quickly mount up, though using the many shots from the series has to have helped keep them down, but there is nothing I hate worse than a race or ship or vehicle not being depicted.. and as none come with descriptions either if you end up using them you have absolutely nothing to offer the players in way of how things look.

I think a little too much assumption that everyone has play AOG's game was made and hence know what the miniatures for all these unusual vessels etc.. look like.

Thankfully later books have begun to include nice CGI type images of most vessels which has been nice (although almost none are labelled..i might add :D )

I'm very much a visual person.. seeing the images is what inspires my imagination to come up with creative ways of using them, and also help my players envision the situations I place them in.

I would also "big Up" the Earth Alliance sourcebook as being the "only" book that depicted the ground/air vehicles.

Perturbatio said:
Tegman said:
OT: My only experience with d20 is B5, so can someone enlighten me and tell me what OGL is?

Open Gaming License

OGL is basically the basis of the Core Rulebooks that WotC produce. It's open content so any one can use it and it is pretty much the same as d20 D&D.

One question though, will the new B5 edition be based on 3.5 OGL or 3.0?

I'm guessing 3.5

LBH

What I don't love is that not all of the books (the EA sourcebook and the S2 sourcebook are the first ones to come to mind) are available as PDFs. :?

lastbesthope said:
Perturbatio said:
Tegman said:
OT: My only experience with d20 is B5, so can someone enlighten me and tell me what OGL is?

Open Gaming License

OGL is basically the basis of the Core Rulebooks that WotC produce. It's open content so any one can use it and it is pretty much the same as d20 D&D.

One question though, will the new B5 edition be based on 3.5 OGL or 3.0?

I'm guessing 3.5

LBH

Or possibly Modern, which I am coming to like as I try it out.

The Auld Grump

OGL could be interesting to see. As far as stuff I'd like to see done I'd like some type of ship construction/custimization rules used. Also I'd like to see better clarifications for weapon damage based on wether it's fire linked or not. Also I'd like to see skill DCs to be looked at and possibly adjusted (outside of telepathy I mean).

I think that's it for ideas for right now, just a couple minor things are the biggest beefs I've had.

Catlion said:
-pictures of all the races, ships, equipment etc. It adds a lot of flavour to the game if you can actually show your players how things look like. Pics from the series or your own artwork.

I definately agree!! Pictures next to the description of the spaceship (or alien or whatever) are always a good thing.

Neo said:
I'm very much a visual person.. seeing the images is what inspires my imagination to come up with creative ways of using them, and also help my players envision the situations I place them in.

I'm also a very visual person. Since RPG's have a HUGE imagination component, it's very helpful to have pictures to show players. It's much easier to place yourself in that universe if you have an idea what the aliens, ships, equipment, etc. look like.

I've become very nostalgic recently for the times when I was a kid collecting the West End Games Star Wars books. There were tons of pictures in those books. I especially loved all the charts that not only showed what the ships looked like, but also showed their sizes in relation to eachother. Only the EA sourcebook and the ACTA fleet book has come close to that. The other B5 books have been very dissappointing to me when it comes to how many ships have been pictured. Something similiar in future B5 books would be very, very cool.

frobisher said:
Kizarvexis said:
More realistic cargo capacities for ships. <snip>

I'd go a bit further and diminish the reliance on the d20 way of doing things and list cargo volumes primarily instead.

A leaf from FASA's ST:RPG book would be the way to go (They used SCUs - Standard Cargo Units based on the standard combat square (1.5m x 1.5m) extrapolated to a normal deck height of 3m. Obviously for d20 purposes make that 5ft x 5ft x 7.5ft.

There is already a standard in the real world called a TEU or "Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit". It is basially 8ft x 8.5 ft x 20 ft. Using a shipping ton as 40 cubic feet per ton yields 34 tons per TEU.

As for the large Cargo Pods hauled by the 3 pod capacity Cargo Loaders or shipped via the 8 pod capacity Corporate Frieghters:

IFF it is assumed that the pods hold 50,000 pounds then the approximate dimensions are less than 10 feet tall, under 15 feet wide and over 11 feet long.
IFF it is assumed they hold 5,000 tons each then they are less than 50 feet high, under 90 feet wide and over 70 feet long.
IFF it is assumed they hold 50,000 tons each then the dimensions are 100, 210, 140 respectively.

(Note: I once estimated the pods to be, on ratio of "N", 3N Long, 2N wide, and under 2 N high, but due to shape the effective hight to be N. These figure were based on partial views from season 1 and need to be mreviewed and measured more carefully for me to make accurate determinations of cargo capacity and the preceeding numbers were based on those somewhat erroneous initial measurements)

IFF we can get better determinations of actual cargo pod size I can crunch the math and determine carrying capacity based of shipping tons (40-42 feet, 2,000-~2,400 lbs, whichever is less). Such a standard would aid in many other estimate significantly.

As for what I would like to see ...
prices, number of workers, and time to construct all the ships (or ship components) including capital ships. :)

I think I'll take a crack at some of the things I think could be improved. People have already talked about space combat, so I'll go for the main system itself:

Combat mods -- the ranged and melee mods are a hold over from original D&D. I'd like to see a non-class skill for combat, instead of the proficiency stuff; a better trait might be "Basic Training" giving a base Ranged combat and Hand-to-Hand Combat of 4 for first-level characters. allow non-combat classes to buy these skills as cross-class skills with the standard limits. This allows someone to build the dock worker who does Mutai in his spare time. Have the ranged and melle go off of the dex or str with this new skill to get your chance to hit.

Spacecraft or vehicle proficiency: you have a pilot skill...yu should need this. If anything, this could be as above -- "pilot's certification" giving the base 4 for a first-level character.

Languages -- the rules aren't really dealth with. It should be busted out into a skill with levels.

Knoweldge/Profession/Technical -- break them into actual skills. I understand this is to avoid dealing with the myriad skills -- from history to sci-fi trivia in Khowledge; broadcasting to medical transcription in Profession; or mechanics, electronic, or hyperdrive engineering in Technical. I think it would help to have a better list of applicable skills; the GMs should be able to add ones not in the list as needed, but this might help players during character creation.

Maybe a more coherent rank-to-level idea on officer/soldier characters. Obviously a 1st level officer wouldn't have the skill sets or connections to be a colonel or command...

Nitpick: the D&D-esque description of skills like "Pick Lock"...How about "Lockpicking?" "Savvy" for "Sense Motive" -- strangely, the way the skills are worded can hlep/hinder the feel of the game. Something more sci-fi and less fantasy would be appropriate. The gamers are smart enough to figure out what you mean.

Consolidate the telepath rules better. I'd suggest losing the various abilities and make them skills, then allow the teeps the full allowance their race would receive at creation. this allows even low characters to specialize or diversify their skills and make their characters more individual. I'd consider changing the way the P rating is used; right now it's solely defense, it looks like -- the P rating only gives benefits in range when on the offense; it would seem sensible that it would apply on both sides of the coin. I realize these decisions were balance-related, but they seem overly restrictive. The traits system used to far too "spell-like."

Add some typical NPCs in the next edition so new GMs can jump in without rolling up every NPC they need -- just a few examples of soldier, worker, etc. would be appropriate.

Just some suggestions.

Rework the stats for the Kawasaki ZX-11 to take proper account of passenger weight affecting the stats.

If it goes OGL, then it doesn't really matter if it's 3rd ed or 3.5 ed if it is completely self contained I suppose.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Rework the stats for the Kawasaki ZX-11 to take proper account of passenger weight affecting the stats...

Who the hell rides with a passenger on a ZX-11? :D

That would be like having someone ride onthe back of my Speed Triple... :p

Black Campbell said:
lastbesthope said:
Rework the stats for the Kawasaki ZX-11 to take proper account of passenger weight affecting the stats...

Who the hell rides with a passenger on a ZX-11? :D

That would be like having someone ride onthe back of my Speed Triple... :p

The one time we see Garibaldi riding it he has Lennier on the back.

Besides, if Ivanova/Talia/Lyta or B5 babe of your choice asks for a ride on the back, would you say no? I think not!

LBH

Getting back on topic -

For a 2nd edition I'd like to echo a lot of other posters - more pictures!! Even as a B5 fanatic (not as great as LBH of course :lol: ) with books, CDs, DVDs etc, etc I still want to see all the vehicles, races and everything else from the suppliments.

A new space combat system geared more around role-playing than wargaming (that's what ACTA is for :D ). Decipher did not do a bad job with their Star Trek game and I'm sure Mongoose could do better.

An integrated combat system that deals with personal - vehicle - spacecraft fights using the same mechanics and a constant set of hit points / damage dice.

Yep, that's about it for now..

DW

Traveller-61 said:
Even as a B5 fanatic (not as great as LBH of course :lol: ) with books, CDs, DVDs etc, etc

Of course you're not, for no such creature exists in all of space and time that is more of a
B5 fan than I!

:wink:

LBH

Just wanted to throw my two-cents in.

I don't know if anyone remembers the old FASA Start Trek RPG, but it had a great starship combat system for a RPG.

Each character had a job, and a control panel that they were responsible for in combat. Each character could make rolls and had a part to play in what the ship did. I am not sure if anyone wants a more detailed description than that, but it was really great for RPG purposes, and everyone was involved! (Even the communications officer was responsible for making rolls to coordinate damage control teams, if I remember correctly.)

Does anyone else remember this system?

No I remember that system, although if you make characters the right way in B5 D20 you'll have someone for every position on the ship. Honestly with any decent group they'll make characters that cover any gaps in skills and find ways to compliment what other people have.

And yes I do realize I did say a decent group, doesn't always happen.

Back