The year of steam power

CrimsonSpook

Mongoose
Is it just me or has a lot of steam punkish games just flooded the market place? We have OGL Steam Punk from the good olde guys at Mongoose. Then you have Dragon Mech from Swords and Sorcery games. Plus Privateer Press has finally come out with it's Characters Guide for the Iron Kingdoms and has more on the way. I guess you could kind of throw in Eberron into the mix as well.This year has to be the year of steam powered goodness. It's just weird how they have almost came out within a few days or weeks of each other. Does any one have a preferred setting when it comes to these books?

John

:D

Of course OGL Steampunk is first but I have taken a look at Dragon Mech and Eberron and they both look very cool as well. It might be because of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did so well at the box office too.

Mythos said:
kiln publications said:
It might be because of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did so well at the box office too.
I hope that's a joke. :shock:

Love the comic. Was very, very, very disappointed in the movie. What makes it even worse I hear there may be a second movie in the works. When will the pain ever stop? :cry:

John

I will behave in manner contrary to my nature and hope that the sequel is better (much) than the original.

I loved the comic, which is very strange - I usually dislike comic books pretty intensely. The authors did their homework, unlike the screenwriters. Shall we start a 'Mistakes in LoEG' thread? :p

Locally it did very well, and there are more than a few lack wits who did not notice how very wrong the movie was on almost every character, while the comic went to great lengths to be true to the originals. As for Van Helsing... Well, let's see... Bad acting, random plot changes, two dimensional characters, no attempt to be true to the originals... I loved it!

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* And it has indeed been a year for steam, E. N. Publishing also came out with a set of rules for adding steam to D20 games.

Ah, but I think FFG's "Sorcery & Steam" book came out LAST year... :D THEY started it! It's all their fault!

Chris

Chris said:
Ah, but I think FFG's "Sorcery & Steam" book came out LAST year... :D THEY started it! It's all their fault!

Or maybe it was Castle Falkenstein that started it in 1994? Or For Faerie, Queen, & Country in 1993? Or Forgotten Futures in 1993? Or... Or...

:wink:

None of those games are D20/OGL, the one that started it all was Fantasy Flight Games "Sorcery and Steam" which is pretty cool mixing it with OGL Steampunk and you could get some cool ideas like I did for the Dwarves and Steampowered Pirate ships or the Dwarven Truckers Association in some what of a Fantasy world.

Dwarven Godfather said:
None of those games are D20/OGL, the one that started it all was Fantasy Flight Games "Sorcery and Steam" which is pretty cool mixing it with OGL Steampunk and you could get some cool ideas like I did for the Dwarves and Steampowered Pirate ships or the Dwarven Truckers Association in some what of a Fantasy world.

Nope, the Iron Kingdom's Witchfire Trilogy started it. It predates Sorcery & Steam by several years. While they had no rules covering the creation of steam powered widgets niether did Sorcery & Steam. (Its biggest failing to my eyes.)

The Auld Grump

Dwarven Godfather said:

Oh right... sorry - I forgot that d20 gaming was the source of all ideas in the world ever :roll: DOH!

Oh, I forgot Warhammer FRG and Man O' War - they had steampowered Dwarf ships, the mighty Ironclads...

Back