The Whole Wide World

dbenson

Mongoose
I just saw "The Whole Wide World" last night. While it was an interesting and informative movie, I wonder about the realism of the portrayal of REH. Was he really so socially inept and introverted? I was a bit uncomfortable watching it and, later that night, had a difficult time getting back into the REH story I was reading. It was almost like seeing the man behind the curtain and realizing that the "Wizard" is just a man afterall. I'm sure the feeling will pass, but I couldn't help imagining REH (or Vincent D'onofrio) shouting out the lines of the story as I was reading.

It is my understanding that it is fairly accurate. Novalyne Price (the real one, not the actress who portrayed her) talked with Vincent D'onofrio before filming about Howard's mannerisms, and she visited the set several times. I wish I could remember where I read that at so I could direct you to it.

This site mentions something similar:
http://www.sonyclassics.com/www/misc/after.html

I find the movie inspiring, making me want to read more Howard.

Yes, he was fairly introverted and socially difficult. He has a diploma in bookkeeping, and intended to go into that field if his writing career failed.

just saw "The Whole Wide World" last night. While it was an interesting and informative movie, I wonder about the realism of the portrayal of REH. Was he really so socially inept and introverted? I was a bit uncomfortable watching it and, later that night, had a difficult time getting back into the REH story I was reading. It was almost like seeing the man behind the curtain and realizing that the "Wizard" is just a man afterall. I'm sure the feeling will pass, but I couldn't help imagining REH (or Vincent D'onofrio) shouting out the lines of the story as I was reading.

"The Whole Wide World" is based off the novel "One Who Walks Alone" and was written by Novalyne Price. The woman that was in love with Howard.

It is my understanding that it is fairly accurate. Novalyne Price (the real one, not the actress who portrayed her) talked with Vincent D'onofrio before filming about Howard's mannerisms, and she visited the set several times. I wish I could remember where I read that at so I could direct you to it.

This site mentions something similar:
http://www.sonyclassics.com/www/misc/after.html

I find the movie inspiring, making me want to read more Howard.

Yes, he was fairly introverted and socially difficult. He has a diploma in bookkeeping, and intended to go into that field if his writing career failed.

He talks about his interview with her here:

http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/studio/5139/wwwint.html

I've read the book-it's great. As with most books, it goes into greater detail than the movie. I highly reccomend it.

The movie is phenomenal, I bought it and watched it with my girlfriend.

I think REH presented in that movie and his relationship with Price is a really interesting example of some of the problems that creative people with niche interests interact with the world.

Cried like a baby when I watched it too.

I saw this film when it first came out. Loved it. REH, like most creative minds, was a disturbed individual, in more ways than one.

But I prefer to focus on what he accomplished. For a man who hardly ventured away from Texas, living in a small town virtually all his life, he created a compelling and detailed fantasy world that continues to inspire authors and readers alike to this day. Tolkien may be better known, but Howard ventured into brutal and erotic territory that would have made a hobbit swoon. No disrespect to Tolkien, of course, but REH took much bigger chances with his subject matter.

Disturbed? Yes. Obsessed with his mother? Undoubtably. But he was also a literary visionary and that is what should be remembered.

I just discovered the movie today as I watched the last half hour of it on showtime. I did'nt even know what I was watching until I saw the quote on the typewriter. BTW, it will be back on Sunday morning on one of the showtime channels if anyone is interested

Bill Scott said:
I just discovered the movie today as I watched the last half hour of it on showtime. I did'nt even know what I was watching until I saw the quote on the typewriter. BTW, it will be back on Sunday morning on one of the showtime channels if anyone is interested

It was re-released on DVD , within the last year , with commentary by Vincent D'onofrio and others plus an interview with Renee .

Terry

Back