The War Store

I assume that since my post from Neal at the Warstore was quickly removed from the thread that Mongoose is taking steps to address his concerns.

Interesting discussion. The Warstore, another online retailer I use, and two local shops all do not carry B5:ACTA products (minis at least) anymore and are simply selling off any remaining stock. I can understand growing pains and other issues but I hope this gets resolved soon. I placed a direct order with Mongoose recently for a few items but paying full price is not going to keep me in the game for very long. Also, as others have said, it is certainly hard to gain more players when no one can get the product.

Quality of B5:ACTA minis (and the recent rule books) has generally been poor but the new EA stuff has been much better. The question I guess is if the older stuff is being recast as well? I got an Omega not long ago, after the newer EA stuff, and it was terrible. But maybe I was still getting old stock? I guess the one advantage to the 'shortage' is that all the old stock is now gone. So the challenge to Mongoose will be to show that all product from here forward is of a higher quality.

Oh, I just noticed, http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31838

I really hope that Neal is getting some help that he has been looking for quite some time now.

Mongoose is giving us a time line for when everything should be taken care of, again, this time for the beginning of the new year. The new casts they speak of appear to be a reality, and I am so thankful for that. I haven't had a chance to see some of these new casts (as I am unable to get new ships), but I am hopeful.

Dark Angel

I just heard from Neal and he said that they are going to reorginize the B5 stuff and have it back on the site early '08. Sounds like Mongoose is working with him now. THANK HEAVENS!!!

Looks like the removed post I made had a beneficial effect after all. I'm not pleased it was censored but glad MGP is helping Neal at the war store.

I know that My Local Game store has emailed Mongoose(Not Sure who) several times at the behest of the 8 or so of us that play so that they can order direct from monggos. This is because the distribuotrs that they use (Im told the 2 largest in the states) do not carry the line anymore. They havent received any response from them. Matt and all you other Bigwigs there please talk to my local game store. We have several new players who would like to play the game burt are becoming dissillsioned with the prospect of getting minis. This will help us all have more fun and conversely make you more money as i spend many dollars on minis at the LGS for another game i play. Its attacktix in Aurora Colorado and either a Doug or a Bill has emailed you. Thanks a millin.

Do you know Anson Young? He's a press ganger for War Machine. Great guy. If you see him, tell him Dark Angel Dave said hey.

Is this true? Can the LGS get their stock from Mongoose directly?

Dark Angel

I picked some stuff through Scigenre about 4 months ago and their service was really good, especially since they had to send everything to Australia.

Of course this was before 2nd Ed... but I find it hard to see things changing that much so quickly.

Perhaps Mongoose can keep an upto date list of stockists and if not an availability of stock and leadtime so that customers have an idea as to when they will get things when they order.

Ya, know, after reading this thread and others, I had thought that occured to me. Since it appears everything thats happened is the result of too much demand chasing after too few minis, I think I may have figured out a why.

ACTA uses the B5Wars scale moulds, and while they have been doing new sculpts and resculpts, most of the line is still most likely original AOG moulds. But as far as I know, your average ACTA fleet is way bigger than the B5Wars fleet minis wise. If thats true. it sort of stands to reason AOG never had that many moulds to begin with. A huge variety of them, but only a few moulds per type of ship. Which means even if they were casting 24/7, theres an upper limit on how many they can produce.

Matts topic in the genral forum for supply woes of late isn't off-base. When I first heard of ACTA when I was in Denver, only 1 guy even had any minis at all (but he has damn near a bit of every kind of wargame made in the last 10 years so). I got Dag'Karlove into ACTA a few months after that. Fast forward to now, its gone from 2 to 9 regulars. In st louis I've met up with a couple of guys who were intrested in playing, one of whom is looking to be a few fleets himself. I'm looking at picking up a vree and dilgar fleet at some point. If I talked them up a bit, thats probably another 2-4 people looking to pick up fleets, maybe even multiple fleets.

Thats all within the last few months. I went from knowing 2 players to 10-12, and it may expand in my local area even furthur after the new year.

angelus2000 said:
Thats all within the last few months. I went from knowing 2 players to 10-12, and it may expand in my local area even furthur after the new year.

CTA has always been a funny beast - distributors have been wary of it in the past, so we have had the luxury (?) of slow orders on every release, building up into healthy numbers on a monthly basis. So, no big bang at the start, but a very healthy line overall.

2e changed that a great deal - the rulebooks flew out as fast as we could (and can!) make them, and the addition of new models seem to have hit a nerve somewhere in the chain. Basically, it exploded, and we are now playing catch up.

The _good_ news (other than the game's current popularity) is that this has caused us to re-evaluate our whole production and distribution network, especially in light of the plans we have for next year (see State of the Mongoose, coming soon to a forum near you), where we are expecting far higher demand across all our lines.

Things are not going to happen overnight, but they will happen very quickly. We know where we are heading and what we have to do to get there. After that, there should be plenty of CTA goodness to go about.

I can attest to the increased demand from 2E. After initially buying the first edition, some hesitations made me and a friend sort of go on hiatus,. We heard about 2E, and gambled on the books, based on changes and improvements we'd heard about. (The work on Stealth, and mitigating jump point bomb cheese especially helped though I'm still hoping for an official points based allocation system someday), and now were going ahead with playing, and drawing others in. And that led to my recent grab of some EA boxed sets. And I figure once one person shows up with minis instead of counters...

I'm glad to hear Mongoose is working on improving supply to distributors. If you have to have a problem, there are worse ones to have.

2E has really increased the popularity of this game at our university club, the Dragonslayers. There had always been a few people playing, but with 2E there's now about 10 or 12.

Last week CheesyRobMan showed up with a gorgeous looking Centauri fleet and everyone who walked past was saying, "Oh my, where can I buy these!?" I think between us we have bought 8 fleet boxes in the last few weeks.

Narchy said:
Last week CheesyRobMan showed up with a gorgeous looking Centauri fleet and everyone who walked past was saying, "Oh my, where can I buy these!?" I think between us we have bought 8 fleet boxes in the last few weeks.

And I've still got my eye on that box of Drazi... :D

There are 7 people who play in out gaming group and we have at least that many fleets maybe more. I also know that 3 or 4 of us are looking in to getting one more. Once the metal madness takes over you there is no help. I know we are looking forward to Mongoose getting their production up to the level they need it to be, and am really glad that the rumors of them selling were unfounded. I am also looking forward with great interest to the State of Mongoose address Matt keeps talking about. Is there a date on this or do I have to keep biting my nails in anticipation.
G

Try www.shopofmagic.com

I am having no real issue getting miniatures from my local store.

We are gearing up for a instore campaign this spring, followed by ConQuest VEGAS where our base 20 person tournament is moving to the weekend of GAMA. Come join us!

The danger in "instant communication", is we also expect instant resolution to real world problems. Not how it works. I prefer fewer people on Mongoose's staff, and not paying ridiculous prices on miniatures. "Living within ones means" might be a good analogy.

Store looks good, thought it needs to be updated with images and fleet lists again. It still has the Nemesis as an EA ship.

Dark Angel

Back