The Third Imperium - eBook & Pre-Order

I like your work, and this is a good book. For Traveller to move forward it needs fresh ideas - MWM's wafers came out of left field didn't they.

And forty years ago I ran a scenario in the Spinward Marches came to visit and the Imperial Guard were equipped with Dune like personal shields :) so I am not exactly in a position to object too much.

But if Imperial marines can now have battledress with personal shields there has to be a counter ;)

paltrysum said:
steelbrok said:
It has always been my understanding that Lift Infantry referred to those equipped with grav vehicles and Jump Troops dropped from orbit. Third Imperium is referring to Jump Troops as Lift Infantry. Is this a change?

The writer (ahem! Yours truly) inadvertently conflated the two terms. I'll fix that up for next week's revision. Thanks for the comment.

Easily done :)

Hiroshi I's successor is now his son instead of his Chief of Staff! (this contradicts the Solomani section of Aliens 2 (unless it's now said that his son was his CoS too))

Sigtrygg said:
RIP OTU

So you admit you haven't done basic research into the setting and that you have included technology that has never existed in the OTU prior to now, technology that makes Ancient era toys look pretty useless by comparison.

Like I have said, it is a good book, but it it no longer anything but an ATU.
Every version that has come after the original 1970's era half sized black books is an ATU. More so after GDW went under.
This happens to be the current official ATU that we are playing.
As to research of JTAS/Double Adventure side bars, perhaps some secrets/details should remain secret, until discovered in game.

steelbrok said:
Hiroshi I's successor is now his son instead of his Chief of Staff! (this contradicts the Solomani section of Aliens 2 (unless it's now said that his son was his CoS too))

MegaTraveller's Solomani and Aslan says "son," while the CT alien module says "chief of staff." I went with the former. However, it's an interesting idea to have it be both! Hmm...

Other than the lift infantry mix-up, I'm impressed with the book so far. Great layout (and fast on a tablet!)

So, picky point on page 51. The "friendship between Strephon and Duke Norris" is not a thing in 1105. Norris wasn't even Duke until 1098, so had no role in the Fourth Frontier War. Wasn't even in theatre or first in line to be the next Duke of Regina. It was the Fifth Frontier War where he did all that stuff that hasn't happened yet in the reset 1105 timeline. And why does the Emperor only have an iPhone and not a Portable Computer/5 or something?

paltrysum said:
steelbrok said:

MegaTraveller's Solomani and Aslan says "son," while the CT alien module says "chief of staff." I went with the former. However, it's an interesting idea to have it be both! Hmm...

S&A is one I've never red, wonder why it was different there?
I realise I'm seeming very nit-picky, overall the book is sound so far but going over old territory for me, I suspect I will be more "wow£-ed when I reach the newer matweial about the Core itself

Another error (or contradiction):

p.29 Invader Tank crew in text says 4 but on stats says 2. Megatraveller says 4.

The Pax Imperii should not have ion cannons - they don't exist in the OTU :)

I know I keep bringing stuff like this up but MgT HG2e does a really poor job at explaining which tech is generic sci fi setting and which is specific to the Third Imperium setting. This should be the book that explains how to use HG within the Third Imperium setting.

Are we now to assume tachyon weapons are Third Imperium era (please god no) etc?

Sigtrygg said:

I know I keep bringing stuff like this up but MgT HG2e does a really poor job at explaining which tech is generic sci fi setting and which is specific to the Third Imperium setting. This should be the book that explains how to use HG within the Third Imperium setting.

Are we now to assume tachyon weapons are Third Imperium era (please god no) etc?

OTU didn/t have meson guns until High Guard, It did not have disintegrators until Megatraveller. OTU didn't have Ithulkur until New Era. Marc signs off on all these books. Your faux elitism is honestly getting old.

The OTU has grown over the years I grant you, but there has been a stab at consistency. You really are clutching at straws with your counterpoints..

Meson guns were put in to HG in 79, before the OTU was defined - it was still a setting in flux back in those days. By the time the Library Data supplements were produced that detailed the setting meson weapons and other HG paradigms were adopted for the OTU. Disintegrators are in LBB4 by the way (and Twilight's Peak and the revised 81 edition TL charts), long before MT and again predating the Library Data supplements.
Oh, and the Ithklur are mentioned in the original CT Hivers Alien module - I'm not trying to be elitist I just do basic research - you should try it.

Why is it elitist to ask for clarification as to which MgT generic sci fi technologies should now be considered baseline for the MgT version of the Third Imperium?

Just to be completely clear

THIS IS A GOOD BOOK, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE WANTING MORE BACKGROUND FOR THEIR THIRD IMPERIUM SETTING.

Sigtrygg said:
The OTU has grown over the years I grant you, but there has been a stab at consistency. You really are clutching at straws with your counterpoints..

Meson guns were put in to HG in 79, before the OTU was defined - it was still a setting in flux back in those days. By the time the Library Data supplements were produced that detailed the setting meson weapons and other HG paradigms were adopted for the OTU. Disintegrators are in LBB4 by the way (and Twilight's Peak and the revised 81 edition TL charts), long before MT and again predating the Library Data supplements.
Oh, and the Ithklur are mentioned in the original CT Hivers Alien module - I'm not trying to be elitist I just do basic research - you should try it.

Why is it elitist to ask for clarification as to which MgT generic sci fi technologies should now be considered baseline for the MgT version of the Third Imperium?

THIS IS A GOOD BOOK, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE WANTING MORE BACKGROUND FOR THEIR THIRD IMPERIUM SETTING.

Yeah, you got me. I went off half cocked in the middle of the night about something that should really not matter. If you don't like something in the book DON'T USE IT. This is a GAME for crying out loud. This is not the first time I have seen you and several others go all elitest because you got upset about something in the game.

For the record I have played Traveller since 1982 and I own a complete collection up through Marc Miller's Traveller. I have some Gurps and some Mongoose 1 and none of the T20. I just don't think that trying to remain consistent about 45 years worth of material is worth bitching about on a forum about a new product. One that has material that has not seen the light of day since it first appeared in Traveller's Digest back in 1987 and has not been available to most people since.
And to reiterate Marc signed off on this or it would not be printed. So apparently the creator of OTU is ok with this material.

Sigtrygg said:

This is a Mongoose Traveller forum. Not sure why a game from 40 years ago is being mentioned.

Sigtrygg said:

As a side note ion cannons also make an appearance in The Glorious Empire. Mongoose the Third Imperium setting but there are difference in the Mongoose version.

Then there's the little detail that sometimes what is canon changes, such as with meson bay weapons suddenly not existing in the setting.

I would argue that the greatest change to the OTU was the introduction via AotI and T5 of wafer tech. I'm looking forward to the new MgT Robots book and adventure series, the setting does evolve over time. 8)

You bring up the meson bay every time and every time I tell you the same thing - they are in T5 BCS or will be if it ever sees the light of day. :lol:

Plus the fact that the meson bay is an established canon feature of the OTU setting. :twisted:

Ion cannons, tachyon cannons, and now personal energy screens are not. :wink: If they are now to be considered so then say so. :)

Every technology in HG2e is now available within the MgT ATU yes or no? Why not bring in the technology from T2300 too since a lot of it will complement the Third Imperium setting - this is a serious suggestion by the way. :)

Sigtrygg said:
Plus the fact that the meson bay is an established canon feature of the OTU setting. :twisted:

They are but smaller meson bays where removed or at least so we where told when doing the second edition of High Guard, so things do change.

Sigtrygg said:
Ion cannons, tachyon cannons, and now personal energy screens are not. :wink: If they are now to be considered so then say so. :)

Nope they aren't for the OTU or at least as far as I know, never know what may happen though, but the Mongoose universe isn't the same.

Sigtrygg said:
Every technology in HG2e is now available within the MgT ATU yes or no? Why not bring in the technology from T2300 too since a lot of it will complement the Third Imperium setting - this is a serious suggestion by the way. :)

The technology is there to use are not use, up to the individual games. Not all of it has been used in any official product, will it be, can't say.

I'm really looking forward to next year's epic campaign Singularity Overdrive - it will bring new stuff to the Third Imperium setting too.

Back