The PSi COrps Trilogy of Novels

lastbesthope

Mongoose
Yup, I finally got round to reading the first of the Trilogy, I hope to finish the other 2 tomorrow. (Yes i know I'm 8 years behind, I found the receipt in the book :lol: )

But one thing comes off as weird, and apologies if it's been mentioned on these forums before.

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!
(Also, please don't spoile the 2nd and 3rd bnooks for me, but this just seems weird so I have to ask)

At the end of the first novel, the child of the Resistance LEaders is taken by the Corps and given a new name Alfred Bester. That can't be the same Alfred Bester can it? This kid is born in 2189, he'd be nearly pushing 70 before we see him on the TV show, or my maths is off.

:?: :?: :?:

LBH

Same kid.

Hmm. Walter Koenig was born in 1936, and first appeared as Bester in 94...58 years old. It's not that much of a stretch, especially when you consider that Bester was in top physical shape all his life.

Actually the medical technology has made tremendous stirdes within my own life time. And by then it will have made more of the. There is a project whose goal is to extend human life span. Their test animals are living roughly 6 times normal length. By that time the human life span could be up too 100 years. That would not be to unreasopnable to expect. Especially when you consider the fact that Bester is one of the VIPs of the Psi Corp.

Well I have read 2 and 3 now.

SPOILER WARNING

Yes it was the same kid, but I never got the impression Bester was that old when watching the show. And I can't say I ever noticed him having any noticeable trouble with his left hand either, I mean, would you put someone in charge of an elite fighter unit who had a gammy left hand???

All in all though a good book, though I wish it hadn't simply skipped over the Teep War, though I can understand why it did.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
And I can't say I ever noticed him having any noticeable trouble with his left hand either, I mean, would you put someone in charge of an elite fighter unit who had a gammy left hand???

LBH

Ack, LBH missed something from the show! The WORLD is coming to and END! ;)

:) Nah, really. Here is what jms had to say about it. (From the Lurker's Guide as usual.)

MOMENTS
Date: 23 May 1997 16:30:51 -0700
Jonathan Kass <74130.443@compuserve.com> asks:
> FIRST A QUESTION I HOPE YOU CAN ANSWER - Was / Is there something
> wrong with Walter Koenig? ANOTHER QUESTION - some of us
> knuckleheads have been off arguing over who is / was Control -
> was Control Talia? Was that established?
> Or is there still another "traitor" in their midst?
> Oh and did you hear / would you believe the voice-over teaser
> right before the episode started in LA said "Delenn surrenders to
> the Warrior Caste, and Sheridan declares war on Earth"????

Thanks. As for Walter...he made the decision to play Bester
with a deformed or useless hand, which he's compensating for as a teep.

jms

MOMENTS
Date: 25 May 1997 02:38:31 -0700
Marte Brengle <76703.4242@compuserve.com> asks:
> If Bester's left hand is useless, though, how does he get his
> gloves on?

Ask Walter.

jms

In the show you see Bester with his hand clenched into a fist mostly.

Kizarvexis

Cheers K, needless to say next time I watch an episode with Bester in it I will be watching the left hand closely.

Thinking about it though I can't remember ever seeing him using his left hand either, and IIRC in the S5 episode TCIM,TCIF I'm sure I remember him using his mouth to take off his right glove to do that whole 'mirror thing'.

LBH

BabylonRebel said:
Bester being 70 is not too much of a problem, the average human lifespan of the future is 100-150 years.

Delenn mantions in Apotheosis that Sheridan mentioned humans living to 100, or even older.

LBH

Back