The most comprehensive list of special items

stormgod

Mongoose
I was re-reading all of the LW books at project aon, and I keep coming across special items, some of which I used, some of which I never used. So I thought it would be great if we pooled all of our memories to come up with a list that shows every single special item you could ever get in the LW books.
One of the purposes of this thread is to convert some of those special items into the rpg, so we can add them as soon as possible to our campaigns as well. So without further adieu, I will start with some:

Crystal star pendant, received in Flight from the Dark, when you rescued Banedon from some Giaks. Not sure if it ever had any properties in the LW books, but it is already converted in the rpg.

Sommerswerd, Kewlest sword evar! If you never got this sword, then you never really got to the essence of Lone Wolf. With this sword, Lone Wolf was never really alone, he had this sword. Anyway, you got it in Fire on the Water, and it is definitely converted in the LW rpg.

Kalte Firesphere, Another neat Joe Dever invention. You received it in Caverns of Kalte, from some crazy ice barbarians. Mainly provided you with light for the rest of the books, instead of using a torch. Don't ever remember throwing it like they describe in the rpg, but oh well. It is converted in the rpg.

Black Crystal Cube, Proves Dever had a malicious side. The ultimate red herring, this cube would blow up when you least needed it to, and you often got killed because of it. A darklord invention. Not converted in the rpg, I would say it does a 6d6 explosion in a 20' radius, and can be telepathically activated by any drakkirim, nadizirim, or darklord. There were several books you could get this little stinker.

Blue Stone Triangle, Don't know why I love this little special item, but I do. You get it in caverns of Kalte, and it opens a door for you. But you can also use it in Shadow on the Sand, and you get to the book of the magnakai this way. Not converted, but I would say that it is a minor magic item uses to open magic doors created by some elder magical race (perhaps shianti or the elder magi?)

Silver Helmet, Loved this item, because it came witha kewl drawing in the novels. Got it in Caverns of Kalte, and it is magical as well. Wonderfully converted in the rpg as well.

Korlinium Scabbard, Get it in book 12, from Banedon (or Rimoah, not sure). Protects the Summerswerd from Darklord detection. Not statted in the rpg, so I would say that it basically casts non-detection against all right-handed magic.

Bullwhip, If you are suspicious of a hut in book 9 (or 10, I am not sure) you get in a fight with some guy that otherwise would be happy to share a meal with you. You kill him and take his stuff, and one of them is a great looking bullwhip that has studs of copper stiched through. Ouch! I would convert it into a masterwork bullwhip that does the next higher damage die for said weapon type (for instance, if it does 1d4, normally, it would do 1d6 with this weapon.)

Kagonite Chainmail, You take it off a dead Drakkirim captain in the naval battle in book 12 (If it weren't for fellow board member Paido, I wouldn't know where to look! I had to go back twice before I found it! Thanks Paido!). Anyway, in LW, it adds to your CS and endurace. Not converted in the rpg, I would make it basically elven chain with a damage reduction of 2 as well.

Dagger of Vashna, received in book 4, and ably converted in the rpg. 'nuff said.

Silver Bow of Duadon, Had to beat a tough ranger in book 6 to win this in a contest. Whatever you do, don't let a bowyer in later books test it out either. Statted and converted in rpg. Since it said master duadon was the best, I would either give it another +1 enhancement bonus, or i would increase the range increments, or both.

Golden Amulet, Another necklace from your friend Banedon, it allows you to survive the noxious fumes and atmosphere of the darklands. Received in book 12. Not converted, so I would say that it makes you immune to dmage from noxious fumes, gases and airborne poisons.

Helshezag, another darklord weapon. Evil weapon, it aids you in battle (gives you a +7 i think, but it takes endurance points from you), but it slowly leeches your health. Not converted. But I would convert things and add a little twist. When it is described, it says it ais a piece of night sky, a blade of void. It sure does remind me of Elric's blade Stormbringer, and later tsr "converted" stormbringer in the classic adventure White Plume Mountain into a blade called BlackRazor. I would just import this balde into the rpg, and it is converted for 3e in Arms and Equipment guide. A perfect conversion? Absolutley not, but I always liked that blade myself, and the powers are somewhat similar. If you wanted a perfect conversion I would give it a +8 bonus to attack, ignore all damage reduction, and on the second round it starts leeching away 1ep a round from your total (fortitude save dc35 to resist, unless you are a darklord or practitioner of right-handed magic).

Towel, You get it when you take a bath in book 5 after you come out of the sewers. Takes up 2 spaces in your backpack. I carried it for 3 books thinking I would need it sometime. Stupid me. I always smile when I look at my list of safekeeping itmes and see towel listed there. Also a bar of perfumed soap I got in book 1!

Thats all I will write about now, I would love to see everyone else's contributions!

stormgod said:
Golden Amulet, Another necklace from your friend Banedon, it allows you to survive the noxious fumes and atmosphere of the darklands. Received in book 12. Not converted, so I would say that it makes you immune to dmage from noxious fumes, gases and airborne poisons.
In my copy of the book it was made of platinum.

Actually, there is a platimnum amulet that you get somewhere else (not that I ever found out what it did). In book 12, it is a golden amulet. You can read it at project aon. Its like in the first three pages, and theres no way you can't receive it, so its not like you have to read a bunch of stuff.

stormgod said:
So I thought it would be great if we pooled all of our memories to come up with a list that shows every single special item you could ever get in the LW books.
Hey, good idea! Let's do that! :D

Crystal star pendant [...]Not sure if it ever had any properties in the LW books, but it is already converted in the rpg.
Banedon said it's supposed to bring good luck, but that might just have been a superstition. Apart from that, there were no special properties mentioned, AFAIK.

Blue Stone Triangle [...] Not converted, but I would say that it is a minor magic item uses to open magic doors created by some elder magical race (perhaps shianti or the elder magi?)
That would be the Shianti then (the Ancients, as they were called in Flight from the Dark and Caverns of Kalte). I always thought you could open that door in Vassagonia only because the triangular shape fitted into the "lock", but you might be onto something there ... :idea:

Korlinium Scabbard [...] basically casts non-detection against all right-handed magic.
Don't think that's what it was doing - wasn't it supposed to block/veil the goodly emanations of the Sommerswerd? (And of Skarn-ska, in The Curse of Naar?)

That was in Dungeons of Torgar, and as far as I recall, that whip had special properties when fighting ghosts ... Now if I only remembered where I read that ... :(

Kagonite Chainmail [...] (If it weren't for fellow board member Paido, I wouldn't know where to look! I had to go back twice before I found it! Thanks Paido!).
Erm, you must have confused me with Nyxator ... :oops: Thanks for that compliment ... :wink:

*laughs* Absolutely!

Okay then, I shall keep my eyes open for more!

Paido

stormgod said:
Actually, there is a platimnum amulet that you get somewhere else (not that I ever found out what it did). In book 12, it is a golden amulet. You can read it at project aon. Its like in the first three pages, and theres no way you can't receive it, so its not like you have to read a bunch of stuff.
The platinum amulet appears in the Grand Master books several times (okay, there're several different ones, but they all give the same protection). I see that Book 12's is gold on the Aon site, but I'll have to check my book copy (rather odd).

Silver Bracers: The wearer/wielder applies a +2 competence bonus to all weapon attacks, and a +1 dodge bonus to AC (since you can't defend with bracers if you aren't aware of the attack in the first place) when these bracers are worn.

Bronin Vest: essentially masterwork elven chainmail.

Fireseeds: when broken off of a hard surface, a Fireseed will burst into light - illuminating a 20ft radius for 1 minute - before dying out suddenly. Fireseeds can be used offensively, requiring a ranged touch attack to strike the target [with sufficient force to break the 'seed]. Success blinds the target for d4 rounds. Finally, creatures susceptible to sunlight are equally susceptible when in the radius of a lit fireseed.

These are my submissions anyway. Feel free to rework them. I've got some more ideas for later as well.

stormgod said:
My sincere apologies if that was nyxator! Thanks nyxator. I must have got you two confused!

No problem. :D
Here's my little contribution to the list:
Zejar-dulaga: poisonous magic arrow, capable of killing a darklord. I'm not sure it existed before Gnaag's reign.

Reginald de Curry said:
The platinum amulet appears in the Grand Master books several times (okay, there're several different ones, but they all give the same protection).

The Masters of Darkness amulet is gold in mine.

A platinum amulet was also in Castle Death. It protected you from the super-heated tunnel leading to Zahda's lair. I think Nexus worked there, too.

Onyx Medallion: allowed telepathic communication with Itikar (in Chasm of Doom and possibly, though I can't recall, in Shadow on the Sand.

The Magic Spear in FFtD is a Special Item, and let's not forget the sparkly Jewelled Mace from SotS, either.

As for the towel, anything kept in the backpack is technically not a Special Item.

KL

Ogg-kor-Kaggaz: You never really got it, but in Dungeons of Torgar Baron Shinzar was armed with one. A flaming axe.

Let us not forget some unique, yet still Special Items.

Skarn-ska - or Wolf's Blade: from Curse of Naar you recieve this weapon from Lord Rimoah and Lord Ardan if you don't possess the Sommerswerd.

Kai Weapons - these are from the New Order books. Created by Lone Wolf when he reached the rank of Kai Supreme Master, there are ten of these, each with different special abilities.

stormgod said:
Towel, You get it when you take a bath in book 5 after you come out of the sewers. Takes up 2 spaces in your backpack. I carried it for 3 books thinking I would need it sometime. Stupid me. I always smile when I look at my list of safekeeping itmes and see towel listed there. Also a bar of perfumed soap I got in book 1!

You see the towel is the most useful thing to have. It impresses people, they assume if you have a towel you have pretty much everything you need but will happily replace anything you might have lost along the way.

@ AndyGuest: *Rofl!*

Towels ...

The Book of the Magnakai has a few things to say on the subject of towels.

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing a far-travelling Kai Lord can have. Partly it has great practical value — you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the frosty marshes of the Hellswamp; you can lie on it on the black volcanic ashes of the shores of the Nengud-kor-Adez, inhaling the heady sulphur vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert of Telchos; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Storn; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Gnaag (a mindboggingly stupid Darkspawn, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a berk (berk: non-Kai Lord) discovers that a Kai Lord has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a Dagger of Vashna, Onyx Medallion, Perfumed Soapbar, Meals, Silver Helmet, Kalte Firesphere, Map of Northern Sommerlund, Laumspur Potion, Cess for Amory, Silver Bow of Duadon, Kagonite Chainmail etc., etc. Furthermore, the berk will then happily lend the Kai Lord any of these or a dozen other items that the Kai Lord might accidentally have "lost". What the berk will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of Magnamund, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Sorry, just couldn't resist ... :wink:

Paido, who'll be back with more Special Items (and On-Topic again) ... promise ...

LOL! Guess i'm not the only one that remembers the towel! Hey August, we need a towel conversion! Maybe in book of magic? :lol:

I agree!

Just waiting to give the 'Oh it's important... trust me' look to my players when they find a towel!

:lol:

stormgod got most of them. hmmm.

what about those fused crystal explosives produced by the elder magi?

you know, whenever they good guys needed to open up a gate (torgar) or singlehandedly destroy all darklords outside of the darklands.

sorry if someone mentioned it already.

Nope, that wasn't mentioned. Crystal nukes! Just pull out the one crystal and put it back it, 15 mins later, darklord weapons are destroyed!

I would probably give it like a 15d6 explosion with 40' radius.

Helshezag, another darklord weapon. Evil weapon, it aids you in battle (gives you a +7 i think, but it takes endurance points from you), but it slowly leeches your health. Not converted. But I would convert things and add a little twist. When it is described, it says it ais a piece of night sky, a blade of void. It sure does remind me of Elric's blade Stormbringer

In one of his old newsletters, Dever wrote that Helshezag was an homage to Moorcock's Stormbringer. However, I've always been under the impression that the two swords work in opposed ways : Stormbringer kills your friends and foes alike to give you their energy ; Helshezag takes your energy to kill your foes ; Think I prefer Helshezag. :)

Back