The Lone Wolf Mega-Deals are Back!

Taking into account inflation and all, those who signed up earlier still paid more, and by quite a lot. At this moment I will be lucky to see Book 28 in my remaining years. I will tell my children to collect books 29 onwards if they ever materialize.

I don't think it is quite as bad as all that! Though I admit the releases are a tad on the slow side. Still they are coming out, which is good. The alternative would be no Lone Wolf period. And we wouldn't want that woudl we?

Well, given that 5 years ago we were told that we'd get books 29-32 as soon as they were published...and there is not even talk of a 29 yet, yes, it is bad. Lone Wolf was Joe's largest endeavor of the time, and now it is not. It's secondary, so if plans to write 4 books 5 years ago have yet to even produce one, well....

And the alternative of no Lone Wolf? I had all the Red Fox books. So far all we have gotten is a hard cover (which with the tight binding makes it a bit harder to play through than a softcover flip-style) with new pictures, fan-generated stories which anyone could do and present to the online community, and an expanded book one, five years ago.

I don't want a refund, either. I paid for it; I will get it. I'm a book collector and Lone Wolf fan, and this satisfies both, yet the mega-deal I signed up for has morphed into a mediocre-deal at best.

----------
My epitaph, decades from now:
Here lies KaiLord
His megadeal fell through
He didn't get a Sommerswerd
And only made it to twenty-two.

I know Joe at his health scare some time ago, but the last I heard the new books sounded (plot-wise at least) nearly done. Assuming of course the history with the 2nd Kai Monastery etc. was real.

I'm hoping book 17 will be out soon at any rate.

I do like the new stories - whilst a fan can write their own (heck - I've written 3) these are good quality adventures and far better than nearly all fan-work I have seen - it's worth it for that.

A lot of the original mistakes seem to have gone - better maps, better books and fewer errors (though the errors really shouldn't have been there to begin with). The release dates are pretty poor, but what can you do?

I'm not a Megadeal customer as I couldn't afford it at the time, which is probably why I'm reasonably happy to wait until they come along. It is still annoying when the release dates slip by months and months at a time, but at least they are still being published.

The only thing I can say is hang in there and looking forward to Book 17.

Actually I have only just read the State of the Mongoose - and a lot of the reasons for delays are in here:

http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=49405

Persoanlly I find it quite encouraging, so worth a look at.

pjagum said:
Does anyone have the original Megadealconditiones to post here or send me by mail? Probably for the "second edition" of the megadeal, since I bought it approximately 4 years ago and can`t remenber to have read anything about a Sommerswerd.

I found this: http://magnamund.livejournal.com/
So it is 38 books. No Somerswerd.

IIIRC the idea for the Somerswerd was floated but was never actually offered.

All I can find is this, from 2006 :

http://projectaon.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=announcements&action=display&thread=764

It's a post on the Aon forums announcing Mongoose's new releases. It doesn't say anything about a Sommerswerd replica. Unfortunately, the new gamebook series in Magnamund, the adventures featuring Banedon and the missing New Order books seem to have been vaporware slightly premature announcements.

From S&P Roleplayer 39 (circa December 2006):
While you will be able to pick these new Lone Wolf books up from your local book
store, we will also have them available from our website, and there will be a special
treat in store for dedicated fans. Whether you take a subscription out to be sent the
gamebooks as soon as they are released, or simply collect them one by one at your
pleasure, anyone who orders the complete set from us (over whatever time period)
will also be sent their own replica of the Sommerswerd, free of charge. We will have
pictures of this magnifi cent blade next year, before the gamebooks become available

And from S&P Roleplayer 45, which has a full page ad for the Mega-deal:
So, you are a Lone Wolf fan? Well, we have something
special here for you.
By taking on the Magnamund Mega-Deal, you need
never miss out on the adventures of the last Kai Lord,
Lone Wolf. The Collector’s Editions of the original
gamebooks are completely revised, with new artwork,
story lines and adventures, all printed on high quality
paper and encased in a resilient hardcover for maximum
durability. Each will be sent to your door as they become
available, with Book One: Flight From the Dark released
on July 31st.
But that is not all. The Magnumund Mega-Deal also
entitles you to the following;
* Your shipping/postage will immediately be refunded.
* You will receive Collector’s Editions of the new Lone
Wolf novels, absolutely free, as they are released. The first
are due in October this year, starting with the Agarashi
and Lencian Trilogies.
* You will also receive the final gamebooks of the Lone
Wolf series, the never before released numbers 29-32,
as Collector’s Editions, at least four months before the
standard versions appear in stores.
So, join Lone Wolf in the front ranks in the battle against
evil, and defend Magnamund from the cruel intentions
of the Dark Lords!

So, while the Sommerswerd replica was initially advertised, it was never actually part of the Mega-deal.

Hello all,

I do think it's very important to remember in the midst of all this that while there have been a few delays, some of them quite serious, the books are still coming out and the quality's getting even better over time.

Lone Wolf is worth the wait, it's worth the trouble and every new book is wonderful when it gets to us. I know I look forward to mine every time and I'm sure you all do too.

Who's with me?

For the Kai!
-A

I'll come too! As you say, the delays are frustrating but the books are still coming out - and given the alternative is no books at all then that's a plus :)

Any chance there will be a price cut on the Mega Deals in the future?

Price-wise there isn't much of a difference between buying the bulk deals and buying the books separately? Actually for the 1-5 book deal... there is no difference

I am a huge fan of the Lone Wolf series and was told of this forum by someone on the Project Aon forum.

jdubs1211 said:
Price-wise there isn't much of a difference between buying the bulk deals and buying the books separately? Actually for the 1-5 book deal... there is no difference

Ummm... For the 1-5 deal, you get either a book or half a book free...

msprange said:
jdubs1211 said:

Ummm... For the 1-5 deal, you get either a book or half a book free...

Oops you are right.. my mistake..thank you

Back when the original megadeals were offered, the canadian dollar was a lot weaker than it currently is, the $US was strong and so was the £. I probably ended up paying over $100 more than I would have if I'd gotten it later.

sadly the same thing happened to me when i bought my russian wife, damn pounds to roubles ...

erm

i mean "for the kai!" ....

in actual-ness, i actually sold my original books 21-28 to pay for (most of) the mega-deal. i think, on balance, it is probably still worth it.

Back