The City of Thieves located!

Darkstorm

Mongoose
My first new Hyborian Age essay in a year has been posted at my website:
http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/Cmuse14.html

It's about the most likely location of Zamora's City of Thieves.

Darkstorm Dale

this is interesting as i am Mexican and grew up in Tijuana,
there is a city called Zamora in Mexico its in the state of Michoacan and is roughly in the middle between Guadalajara and Mexico city
I don’t take offence but it is amusing.

I picked Tijuana, due to it's reputation in the American heartland. I've never visited the place.

Truth be told, Howard visited the Mexican border area around Mission, Texas, maybe I should have picked Matamoros. :wink:

Darkstorm Dale

:)
Great essays, i've used the material on your website before to enrich my campaign (i hope you don’t mind), i had noticed the parallels before, its a running joke on our gamming group, and Zamorans are some of our favorate characters, besides Cimmerians, Picts, keep up the good work
now if we could get a Tlazitlan template..... :roll:
Vince???....

Anonymous said:
:)
Great essays, i've used the material on your website before to enrich my campaign (i hope you don’t mind), i had noticed the parallels before, its a running joke on our gamming group, and Zamorans are some of our favorate characters, besides Cimmerians, Picts, keep up the good work
now if we could get a Tlazitlan template..... :roll:
Vince???....

ups, sorry, forgot to log in... :lol:

Belkregos said:
there is a city called Zamora in Mexico its in the state of Michoacan and is roughly in the middle between Guadalajara and Mexico city

I'm just back from a long vacation in Mexico, and I did see the name "Zamora" on several street signs and in the names of shops (in the city of Veracruz, as far as I can recall). I found it both amusing and interesting, to say the least... :)

Oh, and by the way, I loved the pyramids of Mexico! (I saw a lot of them... :lol: )

- thulsa

The genesis of the essay was sort of different. My son runs a Conan RPG campaign at Iowa State University; his gamers think it's weird that his father writes about this stuff. (I guess they don't realize that I ran an AD&D Conan campaign for seven years back in the eighties) Anyway, one of his players had read one of the Conan book and came to the conclusion that The City of Thieves wasn't in the same place in the story that it was on the map. When I was visiting my son right before Christmas, this kid decided to "dare me" to fix his problem. I think I shocked him when I told him the results a week later.

The best part was that I impressed my son by doing it; believe me, he's not as easy to impress at 21 as he was at 10...

Dale

it is a great article, im thinking of moving my campaing or start one there because of it,
yep, i can see why howard drew a lot of inspiration from Mexico,
glad you had a good time there Tulsa

take care

Update on mapping the Black Kingdoms:

The first half of the article has already been published in a past REHupa mailing, and the second half should come out in the April issue. The way it works out is that it should appear on my website in the first part of May, since REHupa members get the first look in April.

I think that it's really going to amaze some people.

Darkstorm Dale

Darkstorm,

Great article! Coming from a Hispanic, I feel flattered and honored. LOL

Seriously, I wouldn't want to get into a debate with you. A very thorough and detailed examination of the real location of the City of Thieves.

Eric in VEgas

I admit I never wonder about the location of Shadizar. However I see Zamora under a brand new sight because I initially thought it was inspired from Romania, rather from Mexico, the Kezankian Mountains being akin to Carpathia, a range that appears for some times as a natural defense against the Hyrkanian hordes.

Back