Tell me about your Traveller campaign

jswa

Mongoose
I'm gunna be running a MongTrav campaign in a couple months, and I'm curious as to what other folks have been doing with it.

So tell me. And in as much detail as you want.

Soon - in a few month - I'm going to start a campaign set in the Canopus sector using the 1248 setting and MGT rules. I've already generated and "collapsed" the quadrant of this sector I'm going to use (the Beta quadrant) with good results - this has already given me plenty of hooks to build polities and plots around.

The area has a number of pocket empires, several "hot" borders, several potential wars, two particularly nasty Viral pocket-empires and enough unclaimed boneyards to plunder.

Once I'll finish up the referee notes I'll post them online, using CT UWPs and ship stats in order to comply with the fair-use policy.

My Enki II / Tashara Colony campaign is a crossover, using MGT charac-
ter generation and technology, but the BRP roleplaying system.

The task of the characters is to establish and develop a colony on a re-
mote, somewhat Mars-like frontier world, with adventures covering the
entire spectrum from "heroic engineering" (e.g. the terraforming pro-
gram) through trade and diplomacy to first contacts with neighbouring
alien species.

I started to work on the setting in late October, and currently we have
about 60 pages of background material plus some maps, and both the
setting and the campaign are doing well, the only problem being that
new MGT material (like High Guard, Beltstrike or Scout) always comes
a little later than when we would need it most for our campaign.

Therefore the rules we use are a somewhat strange mix of various ver-
sions of Traveller, from GURPS Traveller First In through the World Ta-
mer's Handbook to Pocket Empires, plus material from other RPGs, for
example GURPS Space or Thousand Suns.

Can't tell you where or what "module" I'm running but its 1102 and its in the Foreven sector.

I tend to use PDF's to communicate with my players (For the gaming itself we're using Screenmonkey and Skype).

Quartermaster forms, Campaign timelines, background information... I make PDF's and then update them as we go along or as required (weekly).

I think its more submerssive for them as they all get to see what the Quartermaster has shipped them... "Aww man... "Request Denied" again?!" and then they get to see catalogues, images, maps, deck plans, etc to remind them what they've done and where they're gone. How else can I always get to remind them of "lobbing the Stun Grenade" and blowing it so badly it ends up 2 m away from the thrower?

So also think of supplying handouts if you're able to (smile)

Take care

E. Herdan

Running a weekly face-to-face game at the FLGS.

Setting is Alternate-1120 (aka GURPS timeline) using the MGT system. Set in Aramis and Rhylanor subsectors of the Spinward-Marches. Almost all the PCs are natives of Aramis.

This campaign sees the return of X-TEK Industries of Deneb, up to it's old high-tech corporate tricks again.

It seems a genius Naval Engineer has invented most possibly the fastest maneuver drive ever. X-TEK wants her and her prototype sent to their Naval facilities at Macene. Unknown to all except the inventor, the nondescript 30dt Ships' Boat actually has TL16 Type Z drives capable of 16G but only at half the size. They are of course priceless.

The PCs managed to get a Lab Ship, complete with all of the unstreamlined "features" that go with such a craft. It will eventually be refit into an orbital Medical Facility (7 shares belong to the Scholar/Physician, who rolled for it), but for now they are ferrying freight between worlds in the modified area which once held the labs.

The crew of the lab ship is approached by the inventor to transport her prototype to Macene, They will be able to lock the Ship's Boat to the Lab Ship's docking ring. The research Pinance will be transported to Macene on another ship. The idea is to be as ubiquitous as possible, drawing little if any attention to themselves. Payment is nothing more than the remaining balance on the Lab Ship.

Of course, as anyone who has played with me before knows, it's not going to be a simple cakewalk. Corporate spies are everywhere, attacks in unpatrolled systems are frequent and there's always an element of weirdness to get things moving.

We've already had someone slip a Zhodani Warbot on board as a "gift" to all the 5th FW vets in the group. :shock:

They've started to learn how trading works in the game, and none of them are Merchants! The game has been referred to as a bit of Firefly and Cowboy Bebop. I said those are perfect examples.

For many, this is a first time experience into Traveller, and I have been told by the guy playing the Medical Doctor and de facto "leader" of the group that he loves the game. :D

Eventualy someone is just going to have to fly the Mark XVI out and see what she's got. Seeming how its the only armed vessel they currently have, it's a sure bet she's going to get a maiden flight. :twisted:

mine is set in -2395 during the pause and regroup period between the First and Second Interstellar Wars. Players are some of the first free traders going out into imperial spec to see what the place is like. more as I look over the PC's sheets

Campaign in the singular...??? Yes, I hit a dry spell doing mainly online gaming (see: http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=13004) and Convention gaming but now, I got back into the fun of a regular campaign...when we get enough players that is.

Toronto Area Gamers, we would be happy if you would join our group. I have to schedule the new session on the calendar. However, here is the story so far, if you are interested...

Plot:
http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/messages/boards/thread/4362775/0#16062003

and if pictures convey a thousand words...
http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/photos/327503/?offset=10
http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/photos/336331/?offset=10
http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/photos/375150/?offset=10
http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/photos/444309/

Greetings

Started last night by running a prequel to the 1983 (?) Traveller Adventure (having bought MGT last Saturday under pressure from my 17 year old son). May run the first session proper before Christmas. Some details are being altered from the original.

Setting for those who don't know it is Aramis sub-sector in Spinward Marches starting early 1105.

Regards

I ran a game last summer with my kids and their friends. We used the Spinward Marches 1248 sourcebook as our guide. Most of what follows requires that book to fill in the background, sorry about that.

The players were a group of newly graduated Navy and Marine officers serving aboard a Light Cruiser of the Imperial Regency (IR). They were classmates of Arbella (daughter of the current Regent Cienciea) and were serving on the same ship as Arbella.

Their first mission was to deliver some "obsolete" ships to the Federation of Arden. In reality, they were delivering front line ships to be used by the Federation to expand it's territory and weaken/challenge the Spinward States.

There were several small adventures as they had to keep the true nature of the obsolete ships from the Spinward States and neutral worlds that they were travelling between.

After dropping off the ships at Arden, they returned to the Regency via the Republic of Regina. Upon entering the Regina system, they were involved in an AI/Vampire encounter that came from the Book. As a result, they were able to improve relations with the Republic, but also began to question the IR's policy of Cyms.

As they were passing through the Rhylanor subsector, they were met by an IR battle fleet (which they joined). This fleet had been assigned the task of reabsorbing the rebel systems that had left the Regency over the last decade or so. Rhylanor and the other worlds in that cluster put up a HUGE fight and the resulting ortillary bombardment became known as the "Death of Rhylanor". The PCs were junior officers, so were not in the decision making process, but they got to see the direct effects of Meson Gun and nuclear ortillary attacks on civilian targets and the ensuing death and destruction. Over 75% of the Rhylanors population died in that attack.

While the PCs were called heroes and received medals of commendation, they felt like war criminals (which was the whole idea).

This completed their first term of service in the Regency Navy.

I am hoping to run another campaign, in the same setting, going through their second term. They are being re-assigned to the Trailing/Rimward frontier for exploration and passification along the border with the Fourth Imperium.

Unfortunately, the TNE: 1248 sourcebooks are no longer available since the Avenger License has expired.

I didn't have High Guard at the time, so most of the large ship action was extrapolated with some 2D+DM rolls to control the action. It worked quite well with this abstract system and kept the action moving.

This was also my first attempt to run a game with characters (even NPCs) that could significantly affect the universe as a whole. Arbella is the heir to the Regency and will be leading one of the most powerful states in the Post Third Imperium Era. The PCs will be very powerful and will have a significant affect on her personality and how she rules.

I have some rather twisted long-term plans for Arbella should the game progress that long...

I'm running a scout campaign based on The Imperial Fringe with the addition that the crew is doing some additional looking for secret bases, good locations for secret bases in case war breaks out, and potential sources of labor and materials. The group's handler seems obsessed with the thought of secret machinations by the Navy and Sword Worlders (campaign's mainly in Glisten &D268 of the Spinward Marches.) So far the crew has turned up lots of Imperial corruption, victims of such among the D268 colonists, and some well-placed beneficiaries of such, sometimes in the unlikeliest places (to their chagrin.)

For the first time in my Traveller loving life I am running a bog standard 'adventurers with a ship, a mortgage and a penchant for getting into trouble' game.

And I have to say I'm having a blast.

No overarching plot to start with and I'm taking the position that the only
canon data in the subsectors I'm using come from the new Spinward Marches book. The last thing I want to do is accidentally put on the canon handcuffs (then again in my fantasy future of this campaign it ends with the Fifth Frontier war and is followed up by a series of adventures during the rebellion).

I'm doing my best to run a sandbox style game and I have to say that I'm finding the classic Traveller campaign lends itself to it. Entirely by accident my group has two ongoing plots that they picked up nearly entirely out of blue. It is nice not to plan beyond translating the next UWP and letting the plot hooks grow organically.

If you have never done this style of Traveller campaign before (I was always too caught up with Imperial agents, Star Vikings and explorers) I strongly recommend it.

Tipsy said:
For the first time in my Traveller loving life I am running a bog standard 'adventurers with a ship, a mortgage and a penchant for getting into trouble' game.

And I have to say I'm having a blast.

No overarching plot to start with and I'm taking the position that the only
canon data in the subsectors I'm using come from the new Spinward Marches book. The last thing I want to do is accidentally put on the canon handcuffs (then again in my fantasy future of this campaign it ends with the Fifth Frontier war and is followed up by a series of adventures during the rebellion).

I'm doing my best to run a sandbox style game and I have to say that I'm finding the classic Traveller campaign lends itself to it. Entirely by accident my group has two ongoing plots that they picked up nearly entirely out of blue. It is nice not to plan beyond translating the next UWP and letting the plot hooks grow organically.

If you have never done this style of Traveller campaign before (I was always too caught up with Imperial agents, Star Vikings and explorers) I strongly recommend it.

That is my favorite style. Just come up with a few hooks and sketch out some directions they could go if they bite and let them decide what to do with it. That does not always work with a bunch of new RPGer's.

Dave Chase

My next Traveller campaign is going to be set in the Spinward Marches around 1105/1106. The PCs will have somehow come into possession of a Free Trader - not exactly sure how, as that will depend upon the characters and character generation. Anyway, the ship itself will have three secrets about it:

1. The prior captain (now deceased) was former Imperial Naval Intelligence, and had all sorts of extra monitoring equipment and sensors aboard. When in range of a INI base or officer with knowledge of it, the data is offloaded.

2. The prior engineer (also deceased) was a brilliant inventor who had invented an ultra-efficient fuel purification system. One that several corporations would like to get their hands on - legally or not.

3. A former passenger (again, deceased) stashed information somewhere on the ship regarding the possible whereabouts of a fabled "treasure" ship that went missing decades prior.

I have numerous NPCs and situations regarding to those three secrets scattered around the Marches. None of the three secrets are actually tied to one another in anyway besides the ship itself. How the PCs learn of those three things, and what they do about them is completely up to them. What situations/NPCs they encounter will again be completely dependant upon where they decide to travel. I have several smaller possible subplots they could encounter as well - like at several points they could wind up playing transport to the ultra famous classic rock band Raspberry Dreams as they go about their latest tour of the Marches.

Other than those plans, the rest of the campaign is pretty much sandbox style. Whether or not any of the secrets make a difference to the PCs will be up to them - for instance, if no one happens to catch the INI data dumps, they probably won't even know about them until/if they do something illegal that's transmitted with the data dump. Even if they do catch it, if they aren't up to no good, they may not even care that their travels are being downloaded to INI computers.

Hmm - I guess you could consider the deaths of the three people above to be a secret as well, but it's really more of a red-herring. All three died in the same freak air-raft accident. At this point in time it's merely coincidence, however, if the player's head down a tangent that connect it to something else, I might be convinced to go that route too.

Right now I am running a 1248 game that is rapidly morphing into a ATU based off Brian Daley's Jinx on a Terran Inheritance trilogy. The players are 6 sessions in and well amusement is occurring.

I am thinking of opening a second front with a different group of players. I just haven't figured their scope yet. Though I have a butt-load of ideas that will be useful for a little more combative group than my core one.

I was using the Aldeberan sector but it is shifting with development. Mostly uncoupling my games from the previous geography.

I also am importing elements from SJGs Transhuman Space and other games as the whim strikes me....

My group's Traveller game does not take place in the Traveller universe. I have nothing against it but simply wanted to play something a bit different. I added elements of Event Horizon and Machiavellian corporate politics into the universe.

The premise is that humans have created a new method of traveling vast distances across space. They have not previously been out of their solar system until this time. There are other races in the galaxy and they have long had FTL travel. When the humans first tested their new travel method, it ripped a hole into the fabric of the universe. Aliens that differ in every way from this existence came through the 'rift' and caused havoc. An intergalactic war started and most aliens were knocked back in technology levels.

Meanwhile, the humans are taking their first steps in exploring the galaxy. Everywhere they went they found two things: ruins and aliens 'confined' to their planets. Unbeknown to the humans, and the aliens, they were the indirect cause of this. They explore the galaxy learning new things while the aliens have become xenophobic due to the war and the 'other alien' influence.

Eventually, the humans come into contact with the aliens that started the wars. These aliens have no physical bodies in this universe and influence others through emotions. Humans seem to be more resistant to the influence of these aliens. Maybe it was because they were the ones who freed them or maybe they simply have a natural resistance.

The human government has a small, but powerful, presence in space. They protect the travel lanes and new colonies. Their power is finite but a need for more than what they can provide exists. Corporations have stepped up and have developed their own navies. While their ship sizes and weaponry compliments are limited by law, their numbers are not. As long as they follow the laws and send in their taxes on time, they are left alone by the government. Of course, this gives them considerable power and influence.

These are just some of my basic ideas. I know I rambled on a bit, but I did not have my notes with me. So far, my players have really enjoyed the character creation process. This was the first game that they have played that had a character creation process that was not d20 based. They even asked if they can roll up more characters so that they can have them ready if their characters die. They never wanted to do that before in any of the other games we played.

Just finished creating my sector, and all I can say is that the Imperium is populated by madmen of the highest order.

That Size 8/Atm 6/Temp 6/Hyd 7 Agricultural Garden world? Yeah, sure, a coupla' hunnerd backwater hicks settled there, probably because the Class E Starport had such lousy service it was easier to stay than to leave.

Six parsecs over, on the Size A/Atm C/Temp C/Hyd 0 hellhole? There packing them in, tens of billions of them! Forgot just one thing, though...didn't remember to actually bring any TECHNOLOGY to help deal with the harsh planetary surface conditions that are trying to exterminate them. Good thing they've got that "Procreate Like Rabbits" Custom to replace all the poor sots that got disintegrated in this morning's blast of the superheated molecular acid that passes for atmosphere on this planet.

First Imperial order of business: forced relocation of colonists :wink:

Maedhros said:
Just finished creating my sector, and all I can say is that the Imperium is populated by madmen of the highest order.

That Size 8/Atm 6/Temp 6/Hyd 7 Agricultural Garden world? Yeah, sure, a coupla' hunnerd backwater hicks settled there, probably because the Class E Starport had such lousy service it was easier to stay than to leave.

Six parsecs over, on the Size A/Atm C/Temp C/Hyd 0 hellhole? There packing them in, tens of billions of them! Forgot just one thing, though...didn't remember to actually bring any TECHNOLOGY to help deal with the harsh planetary surface conditions that are trying to exterminate them. Good thing they've got that "Procreate Like Rabbits" Custom to replace all the poor sots that got disintegrated in this morning's blast of the superheated molecular acid that passes for atmosphere on this planet.

First Imperial order of business: forced relocation of colonists :wink:

The first world is a good candidate for "Hellhole in disguise", "remnants of larger population and better facilities", and a few other tropes.

The second world has "native race in conditions we will never understand" written all over it.

GypsyComet said:
The first world is a good candidate for "Hellhole in disguise", "remnants of larger population and better facilities", and a few other tropes.

The second world has "native race in conditions we will never understand" written all over it.

Indeed. Nasty parasites are a good reason to avoid a planet.

I was just struck by how my random generation of worlds (all other considerations aside) indicated that the Imperium is full of nutcases.

Back