Tanker Question

Holden

Mongoose
The tanker's weapon... I have some questions. Does it use the full 12" blast template? When you use the blast template do you start measing from the center of the tanker model or from its head?

Thats what I meant... there isn't a 12" blast template, is there? My main question regarding the stream template is does it use the full 12" of it or is it shorter? Generally if I can get close enough I can take out a whole squad with it... and it seems almost too deadly.

Prophet said:
Its measured from the mouth area of the mini.

The stream template just has to touch the model that is shooting (and in front arc for the tanker). That said, anyone that would touch the template to the tanker's legs should just turn the tanker so they can measure from the mouth.

Whlie we are on the subject of blast templates... It seems... unbalanced and unrealistic that what is in a blast template is always measured from the center point. This makes sence for most MI models and bugs, but tankers and plasma bugs it seems a little odd. If I'm using something that has the 3" template and I miss by three inches while shooting at a plasma its still possible for the template to be almost totally over the plsama but not over the center hole, making it a miss. Or, am I doing something wrong?

Holden said:
If I'm using something that has the 3" template and I miss by three inches while shooting at a plasma its still possible for the template to be almost totally over the plsama but not over the center hole, making it a miss. Or, am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure what you mean by the center hole.. you do measure to the center point of a target model and that does mean that a template can cover a lot of a plasma or a tanker without actually hitting them. If you mean center hole as in the 40k template, no that's not what the rule means. The Lethal Zone must reach the center point of a model.

It is a little odd that you can catch several legs, or almost half of the big bugs and not actually get the chance to hurt them, you aren't wrong there.

Aren't stream templates supposed be used from the centre point (or whatever point on the model you normally use for range and movement measurements) rather than touching any point of the firer ? This came up before and I'm pretty sure that was the ruling.

It's right enough that you must cover the centre point of a model with the blast template to attack it. Personally, I tend to prefer direct fire mode when possible as it has a much larger attack radius, even if it does less overall damage.

It might seem odd with the larger models (and structures), but going by the weapon ranges the ground scale of the game is much larger than the model scale.

Iain McGhee said:
Aren't stream templates supposed be used from the centre point (or whatever point on the model you normally use for range and movement measurements) rather than touching any point of the firer ? This came up before and I'm pretty sure that was the ruling.
Ow. That kills the tanker's stream by 2-3" depending on your defined center point.

Gentlemen, Iain has the sense of it. :)

I remembered an old discussion and dug it up here. Although that discussion popped up when folks were poking around with the Evo variant, the answers were relevant to SST.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26867&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tankers

page 16, under MEASURING-

In order to keep things clear whether bases are used or not, measurements are always made from the centre of a model. Find a consistant spot to use on your models so that all players know where it is (centre of the helmet for an MI trooper or the centre of the carapace of Arachnids are good examples and are the assumed measuring points used in these rules).

Also, if you turn the page to p.18 two examples are shown graphically. One is a Plasma Bug and the other is a Tanker Bug.

Those reading the linked topic will note that I'm quoting myself above. :wink:

While the original range of Tanker spit was 18", it was reduced to 12" in the Arachnid Army Book. In all cases though, ranges are measured from the centerpoint. Them's the rules as written. :wink:

BuShips, you have an interesting point there and I think you are correct if the tanker were to use the spit as direct fire. Let me find some supporting quotes here..

Rulebook pg 27 said:
These special Stream Rules supersede the usual direct and Artillery fire rules for Lethal Zone weapons.
Rulebook pg 27 said:
Stream Fire: When using Stream fire mode, place the Stream template so that one short end is touching the firing model - a Stream weapon's Leathal Zone stretches in a straight line from the firing models out to the weapon's maximum range or unil line of sight is blocked by impassable terrain (whichever comes first).

It says it supersedes the normal rules and then says that one end is touching the firing model, not the model's center point. Am I misinterpreting this? What does everyone think?

I think BuShips interpretation is the most consistant with rules. I think the book just has wonky wording.

I gotta side with Rabidchild. Touching the model implies an edge, not the center.

The graphics on pg 18 are more for the fire arcs/facing and for use when targetting a unit.

Well, Rabidchild has a point if the rules (as written) are superseding other RAW. "Touching the model" is indeed less specific and does take into account the physical nature and size of a particular model. I'll admit my own "rusty" memory of the definitive answer and keep drudging about for more clues. I vaguely remember a ruling though on this that clears it all up and thought that it was still sourcing from the model's CP.

Paladin said:
embrace realistic forget rules.

You say this about a game that has thirty foot long giant beetles? Don't worry Paladin, I'm only kidding you as I could not let that comment pass without a moment of giddiness. :D

I've actually requested a ruling, for those that like such things. Of course, like Paladin is saying, for games of your own in which you are not playing competitively (like tourneys), what the players agree to is quite fine as well. I'd just make sure that all at the table are using the same concepts. To my knowledge, Mongoose doesn't set upon your homes with teams descending from black helicopters. Besides, those guys are still in training. :D

There is a plus possibly in us all discussing it, as the rules are being rebuilt for SST: WOTS and I'd like at least a concise rule without ambiguity. Then at least, if players around a table agree to do something else, it would have to be discussed and agreed upon. :)

I really like the centerpoint mechanic of the game. but being the rules are being re-written it might be nice if certain models were designated to have two center points (such as the tanker or plasma bugs, maybe some of the larger air ships). but, maybe the idea of larger models have two "center" points is stupid and cimbersom, what does everyone else think?

The centerpoint works for determining if its a hit or not, but if you measure the tankers breath weapon from the center of the mini you will lose at least 2 inches. I think the breath weaponshould be from the mouth and in the direction of the arc. Just my $.02

But an official clarification would be great.

Well, I think I finally see the answer with some clarity. On page 26 (LZ Stream), it says-

Stream weapons create a path of devastation that stretches in a straight line from the weapon to its target.

The underline above being my emphasis, that does work well with the graphic example on page 27 where the weapon stream's LZ originates from the weapon tip. It clearly does not originate at the M.I. Trooper's centerpoint (helmet).

Even though I can consider the question answered by the rules as written above, I would suggest a further clarification be added to the text on page 27 (Stream Fire).

suggested (with emphasis added)
Stream Fire: When using Stream fire mode, place the stream template so that one short end is touching the firing model's weapon tip- A Stream weapon's Lethal Zone stretches in a straight line from the firing model's weapon tip out to the weapon's maximum range or until line of sight is blocked by impassible terrain (whichever comes first).

Thus, the original rules were indeed logically thought out, although the distance between the large Arachnid unit's weapons and their center points is the biggest in the game. Players should be aware of this before getting too close to them with their Troopers, but this too is logical. :D

Edited to spell the word "their" in proper context. :wink:

Back