Tactic vs longlance torps.

Bob Hume

Mongoose
My Japanese opponent fires long lance torps at my battleship, which has a torpedo belt, from 20 inches away. The attack isn't resolved until the end phase of the next turn. During the movement phase of the next turn I declare Evasive and make my command check. Therefore when the torpedo attack is resolved I can make him reroll any hits because I was using evasive manuvering during the turn that the attack was resolved and then I can make him reroll those hits again due to the torpedo belt.

Evasive lets you reroll hits.
Torpedo Belt lets you reroll damage.

So no rerolling rerolls

no he's right, I got it mixed up. Though it makes me think of reasons to stagger torpedo launches and keep him evading...

Chern

On a related note: If my IJN torpedo launchers are doing flank speed and then launch Long Lance torpedos at >10", and then slow their speed on the next turn when the torpedos hit, does the -1 to hit modifier still apply?

hangdog said:
On a related note: If my IJN torpedo launchers are doing flank speed and then launch Long Lance torpedos at >10", and then slow their speed on the next turn when the torpedos hit, does the -1 to hit modifier still apply?

I would think so... it's the speed of the launching ship when the torpedoes are fired that's important since that's what affects the ship's ability to aim and fire them carefully, as well as contributing to the relative speed of the torps when they first hit the water.
Once the torps are out of the tubes what happens to the launching ship thereafter is irrelevant to those particular torpedoes. The firing ship could even be sunk in the time between the torps being fired and when they hit, and the torps would still finish their run based on the angles and settings they were given at launch.

That's the way I thought it should be played. Makes sense. But more game accounting. Which in most cases should be minor.

Thanks.

Here is another one...

If a ship that is being Evasive fires twin linked weaponry what happens?

You have to re-roll hits and you can re-roll misses...

Logic says they just cancel each other out and you roll to hit without any re-rolls.

But by the letter of the rules you roll to hit. You then re-roll all the hits and you re-roll all the misses... :lol:

Anyhow... that just made me smile.

No, I think you'd use the twin-linked first - completely determine the number of hits, and then apply the evasive re-roll to all of these.

Chern

Ah, but you cannot re-roll a re-roll under any cercumstances.

Any hits that I score from re-rolled attacks cannot be re-rolled due to the evasive rule.

You're not re-rolling re-rolls. You roll to hit, and re-roll the missed shots. Then you re-roll the hits because the target is evading.

Re-rolling re-rolls would be if you got to re-roll missed shots for twin-linked, then again for a special order (not sure if there is such a special order in VaS).

Flank Speed: The -1 penalty for flank speed does not apply to torpedoes. The ONLY modifier that applies is the beam attack. We talked about this a while back.

Can anyone give me the page number of the rule that says you can't re-roll a re-roll? I honestly don't know it. . . but I do wonder if its something people are just carrying over from certain other game systems.

@ hangdog. Read the long lance rules on page 77. The way I read it at 10"or less you use the torp rules as normal, meaning the torps are resolved in the same turn. If you shoot at someone out to 20", then the attack is resolved the next turn.

Lord David the Denied said:
You're not re-rolling re-rolls. You roll to hit, and re-roll the missed shots. Then you re-roll the hits because the target is evading.

Re-rolling re-rolls would be if you got to re-roll missed shots for twin-linked, then again for a special order (not sure if there is such a special order in VaS).

I accept that but its bleedin' complicated. Much rather just say they cancel each other out, which is essentially what they do.

In this case however I would want to work out the evasive re-rolls first then work out how manny misses I get after that and re-roll them all for twin linked. I would not as stated above want to resolve the twin-linked first.

Court Jester said:
In this case however I would want to work out the evasive re-rolls first then work out how manny misses I get after that and re-roll them all for twin linked. I would not as stated above want to resolve the twin-linked first.
You would roll twin-linked first. It's like a Nova firing on a White Star in ACTA. You resolve all the hits, then the WS dodges.

Burger said:
Court Jester said:
You would roll twin-linked first. It's like a Nova firing on a White Star in ACTA. You resolve all the hits, then the WS dodges.

But again I would like to point out that rules do not support this. There is nothing to say in what order these effects are worked out considering they both effect a single dice roll and are not (as in the CTA example) seperate effective rolls.

There is also the situation where an evasive ship fires its twin linked weaponry. Then its nothing like a WS dodging.

However I am all for evasive being a bugger and being worked out last its just the rules are unclear about it. Surly someone in playtesting did this during a game and said... hang on... I mean we did it in our first game...

Court Jester said:
Burger said:
Court Jester said:

But again I would like to point out that rules do not support this. There is nothing to say in what order these effects are worked out considering they both effect a single dice roll and are not (as in the CTA example) seperate effective rolls.

There is also the situation where an evasive ship fires its twin linked weaponry. Then its nothing like a WS dodging.

However I am all for evasive being a bugger and being worked out last its just the rules are unclear about it. Surly someone in playtesting did this during a game and said... hang on... I mean we did it in our first game...

Actually, I believe you would just re-roll all dice, aka cancel the effect.

Example: I fire a 5 AD weapon. I score 2 hits, three misses.

Due to Twin-linked, I would re-roll the misses.
At the Same Time, due to Evasive, I would re-roll both my hits.

Since I've re-rolled all the dice, I cannot re-roll again.

Nothing gives one any precedence over the other, so they would both come into effect. For ease of use, I would just cancel them out.

A little common sense is called for. I think that you would roll to hit. You would reroll your misses for twin linked, as you're not done firing until you have determined all of your hits. Thats what the shooting player does. The defending player would then force you to reroll all of the hits because he is evading as his part of the sequence. Pretty simple, logical and common sense approach.

Back