T5 and Mongoose Traveller

kafka

Mongoose
As someone who has picked up the T5 CD ROM, I see it as being radically different than the Mongoose Traveller rules. Is it still part of the game plan to have T5 as the higher level option - the AD&D compared to OD&D? Or is T5 being spun off in a new direction that will exist parallel to MGT?

Mongoose tried to make it a streamlined CT while still being T5 compatable. It was later discovered that that skill check was rated exceptionally epicly Michael Phelpsly difficult. They didn't succeed that roll.

kafka said:
As someone who has picked up the T5 CD ROM, I see it as being radically different than the Mongoose Traveller rules. Is it still part of the game plan to have T5 as the higher level option - the AD&D compared to OD&D? Or is T5 being spun off in a new direction that will exist parallel to MGT?

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/news/news_item.php?pkid_news=166

T5 will be a superset of the Mongoose Traveller rules, providing detailed coverage of rules, concepts and history not available elsewhere. There will be cross-compatibility between Traveller and Traveller5, allowing you to use rules and supplements from each.

I'm also working with both and this seems to be a reasonably accurate appraisal. It's worth noting that they're produced by different authors, and T5 is still under development.

kafka said:

Well I would have said AD&D compared to Basic D&D as those two product lines where running at the same time.

As one of those involved in playtesting, including looking at design rules for High Guard, I was never told anything about T5 to keep or as a reason for discounting proposals for changes, so my expectation is that if there is going to be compatibility, it will be to make changes to T5 to ensure compatibilty with MongT and not the other way round.

Starship design has a certain degree of similarity, and armor (and therefore weapon damage) can be mapped between the two, but that's as far as it seems to go.

Back