Stealth Query

Stealth query – If you had 2 ships in front of you one with stealth and one without and you had two separate forward arc weapons, each say 4AD, and you decided to try to attack the stealthed ship, the following is my understanding of what you do, can someone confirm I got it right…

You have to decide what the targets for the two weapons are. If BOTH fire at the stealthed ship then you only roll once and either both can see the stealthed ship or neither can. If neither can because you failed the stealth roll, then you can not fire either of these weapons at the unstealthed ship instead.

So you roll once per target ship per arc of fire. Is that correct?

Captain Kremmen said:
Stealth query – If you had 2 ships in front of you one with stealth and one without and you had two separate forward arc weapons, each say 4AD, and you decided to try to attack the stealthed ship, the following is my understanding of what you do, can someone confirm I got it right…

You have to decide what the targets for the two weapons are. If BOTH fire at the stealthed ship then you only roll once and either both can see the stealthed ship or neither can. If neither can because you failed the stealth roll, then you can not fire either of these weapons at the unstealthed ship instead.

So you roll once per target ship per arc of fire. Is that correct?

You roll stealth, once per target ship you are attacking in that arc. Regardless of the number of weapons in each arc, so effectively you could roll twice one model if you had it in your forward and turret arc (I think so anyway).

So a Kat'toc could fire its beam weapon on one Tigara, and Mag Gun on another and the Pulse Lasers on a Torrotha. He would make three seperate stealth rolls, for each weapons system. But if he was firing all weapons, at one Tigara, he would only make one stealth check!

And this is why a lot of players advocate splitting fire against Minbari whenever possible - to maximise your chances to making stealth rolls

Lorcan Nagle said:
And this is why a lot of players advocate splitting fire against Minbari whenever possible - to maximise your chances to making stealth rolls

Yeah, I tend to gang the same type of ship across lots of Minbari ships. Technically, the target is attacked with the same weapons groups, but from different ships. Increasing my chance of breaking stealth.

This was prior to the new rules on stealth, which in my opinion has weakened the Stealth laded ships!

Reaverman said:
This was prior to the new rules on stealth, which in my opinion has weakened the Stealth laded ships!

Which is how it was meant to be; right?

One thing though: I believ that you make one Stealth roll, for ALL your weapons regardles of arc, so even if you had Front and Turret arcs on a stealthed ship, you´d only get one chance to break stealth...

And this is why i advise to ignore the split fire advice.

It increases your chance to miss..........

It basically gets you closer to statistical values, but you will get less spectacular results. Standard tactic even in ACTA calls to kill on ship after the other, not the whole fleet at the same time.

Im not advising for or against split fire, but it is NOT a 100% advantage.

Split fire will give you some hits, but take away your maximum firepower. You will prevent super low rolls, hitting nothing, but will as well prevent the invigorating success of hitting with everything.

Voronesh said:

It basically gets you closer to statistical values, but you will get less spectacular results. Standard tactic even in ACTA calls to kill on ship after the other, not the whole fleet at the same time.

Split fire will give you some hits, but take away your maximum firepower. You will prevent super low rolls, hitting nothing, but will as well prevent the invigorating success of hitting with everything.

Well some hits, every turn. Is better than No hits, every turn!

Reaverman said:
Voronesh said:

Also if you have 3 or 4 ships all splitting their fire evenly, then it all averages out

Lorcan Nagle said:
Reaverman said:
Voronesh said:

Also if you have 3 or 4 ships all splitting their fire evenly, then it all averages out

yeah but that only works if you have lots of smaller ships, and minbari generally find it easy to pick on smaller ships as they dont have as good aft weapons

Pauly_D said:
Lorcan Nagle said:
Reaverman said:

yeah but that only works if you have lots of smaller ships, and minbari generally find it easy to pick on smaller ships as they dont have as good aft weapons

you can close to firing range fast enough with most fleets if you use all power to engines. Sure you'll lose some ships on the way in, but most of your fleet will be intact.

Captain Kremmen said:

That is absolutely correct.

Reaverman said:
Voronesh said:

Maybe so but there's no guarantee of either!

Focussing all of your fire on one ship is still better IMO as you will have a much better chance of taking that ship completely out of the fight rather than leaving several slightly damaged but otherwise perfectly functional ships.

They i beat the Mimb boys is focus on 1 ship, usually the baddest , kill it till it's dead, but usually using a Centauri Beam Team and can't split anyway. Spliting usually ends with the Mimb have a all damaged ships but nothing crippled, they are going to be focussing on you so expect to have decreasing amount of firepower.

MustEatBrains said:
One thing though: I believ that you make one Stealth roll, for ALL your weapons regardles of arc, so even if you had Front and Turret arcs on a stealthed ship, you´d only get one chance to break stealth...

That is correct.

You declare all your fire from one ship/squadron onto however many targets you're splitting it across before you do anything. Then for each ship firing on a stealth target you make a roll, if you pass, all declared fire against that target is rolled as normal, if you fail all declared fire is assumed to have fired and missed so be careful with SL weapons.

LBH

might have been nice to see stealth change from a "roll to crack stealth per firing ship" to "per weapon" or "per AD"
that would let stealth average out better.

Chern

Always thought a failed roll could mean the weapon loses all traits & only hits on 6's. Guess we will see how "A" changes things.

i think that would have been cool, fail the roll and targets armour goes to 6 to show you scattering shots around, with no SAP,AP or DD etc counting cos you are just spraying space.

the armageddon stealth changes have already been stated numerous times target. makes the minbari a little weak with their current hull and crew ratigns now i think.

Target said:
Always thought a failed roll could mean the weapon loses all traits & only hits on 6's. Guess we will see how "A" changes things.

Dunno where you picked up that idea.

Armageddon changed the mods to Stealth rolls based on range, and makes Aux craft ignore stealth within 1", and Skin Dancing ignores Stealth also.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Target said:

Dunno where you picked up that idea.

Armageddon changed the mods to Stealth rolls based on range, and makes Aux craft ignore stealth within 1", and Skin Dancing ignores Stealth also.

LBH
What meant was it could be a cool way of dealing with stealth, it was my idea. Sorry for not being more clear, poor writing skills.

Back